NHTSA ID Number: 10177825
Manufacturer Communication Number: 15-267-20
This document discusses some of the conditions that may trigger an Automatic Collision Notification (CAN) (Gen1) or Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN) (Gen2), without a collision, airbag deployment, or accident taking place.
39 Affected Products
|APPLICABILITY:||All 2016-20MY Subaru Vehicles Equipped with Gen 1 and / or Gen 2 Telematics|
|SUBJECT:||Telematics System Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) and Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN) Feature Operation, Diagnostic TIPS and Best Practices|
Telematics System Applicability Chart:
|Carline MY 2016 MY 2017||MY 2018||MY 2019||MY 2020||MY 2121|
This document discusses some of the conditions that may trigger an Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) (Gen1) or Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN) (Gen2), without a collision, airbag deployment, or accident taking place.
ACN is the cornerstone of the STARLINK Telematics System for emergency response situations. When retailer personnel and Technicians are speaking to customers about this feature, it is important to understand proper system behavior and explain its operation accurately. It is important to empathize with the customer’s feelings during these conversations as conditions that initiate ACN may be some of the most frightening moments of their lives. In doing so, however, do not express any conclusions regarding the functioning of the system. For example, the following is an empathetic statement: “That certainly sounds like a frightening experience for you”. Contrast that statement with a conclusion such as, “You’re right I wouldn’t expect it to happen that way either”. The first statement acknowledges what the customer is feeling, while the second may be incorrect, and serves only to increase the customer’s anxiety about the vehicle function or operation.
There is no function check a Technician can perform to confirm proper operation of the ACN / AACN feature. If the Telematics system on a subscribed vehicle is DTC free and the GREEN TELEMATICS LED IS ILLUMINATED, there is nothing to prevent the successful operation of ACN. There is essential documentation reiterated on STIS, in TSBs and TechTIPS reminding Technicians to NEVER swap a DCM between vehicles for any reason. There is also similar documentation reiterating the importance of completing a thorough test to confirm proper Telematics operation whenever repairs to the system have been performed. ACN provides information for emergency response and in many situations a DCM swap WILL preclude operation of this potentially life-saving feature. In addition, if the DCM is swapped, the GREEN LED WILL NOT illuminate indicating a problem currently exists with the Telematics system.
VERY IMPORTANT: Any Technician or other retailer personnel who, despite service documentation and training to the contrary, performs a DCM swap on a subscribed vehicle should NEVER release that vehicle back to the customer until after confirming the proper operation of the Telematics system. If the issue is first discovered only after the vehicle has been released to the customer, then the retailer MUST contact the customer immediately to inform the customer the ACN/AACN feature may not be functioning properly, and that the vehicle must be returned for inspection as soon as possible.
Gen1 Telematics equipped vehicles include the ACN feature. For ACN and SOS button push support, Sirius-XM (SXM) is the Customer Care Team who receives the customer contact and determines the nature of the emergency. Both these features provide the SXM Operator with the vehicle location when the Telematics system is functioning properly. Therefore retailers MUST request and confirm the vehicle location and VIN information when making test calls to the SXM call center. Pushing the SOS or iButton and not connecting to an Operator to confirm the VIN and vehicle location is an INCOMPLETE Telematics system function check.
Gen2 vehicles feature Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN). For AACN and SOS button push, the STARLINK call center is the STARLINK Customer Care Team who receives the customer contact and determines the nature of the emergency. With AACN, there is more data sent to the STARLINK call center to help identify vehicle status in addition to the location. Again, retailers MUST request and confirm the vehicle location and VIN information when making test calls to the STARLINK call center. Pushing the SOS or iButton and not connecting to an operator to confirm VIN and vehicle location is an INCOMPLETE Telematics system function check.
When Does ACN or AACN trigger a communication from the vehicle to SXM / STARLINK?
- A collision is detected. This could be frontal, side or rear end. Severity of the impact determines if ACN is sent or not.
- An Airbag deployment occurs.
- An unusual, unexpected or severe driving event occurs even without a collision or airbag deployment. Examples: sudden changes in terrain, loss of vehicle control, near rollover, off-road operation or aggressive driving maneuvers.
What should the retailer do when a customer reports concerns involving ACN or AACN with
NO COLLISION or NO AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT?
- Obtain a detailed report from the customer outlining events leading up to receiving the ACN / AACN contact.
- Were there any operational concerns with the vehicle with or without a malfunction indicator or other warning lamp(s) illuminating?
- Was there any difficulty controlling the operation of the vehicle?
- What were the driving / road conditions? Weather? Terrain? Time of Day?
- Did the driver make any aggressive driving maneuvers, or experience any sudden changes in speed, direction, or terrain?
- What happened during the ACN / AACN contact?
- What did the STARLINK Operator indicate to the customer?
- Was the car performing as the customer expected?
- Did the vehicle continue to perform as expected after the ACN / AACN contact?
What should Technicians be looking for on ACN/AACN concerns when there has been NO COLLISION or NO AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT?
- Verify no current Malfunction indicator lamp(s) are illuminated including the red Telematics LED located between the SOS and iButtons.
- Use the SSM4 to verify no DTCs are present by checking each system individually WITHOUT using All System Scan.
- While reviewing the SSM4 data, make notes of any historical DTCs and the retain any related Freeze Frame Data. If the ignition cycle of any history DTCs / FFD coincides with when the customer indicates the ACN / AACN contact occurred, an in-depth review of that data will be necessary.
- Ask the customer if there have been any previous body repairs or any recent service work performed including maintenance?
- If the customer reports having previous body repairs, inspect those areas closely for proper assembly and fit.
- Ensure any previous repairs and operation of affected systems meet Subaru repair standards. As examples, if the windshield was recently replaced, was the EyeSight system recalibrated afterward or, if the rear bumper was replaced, were the rear facing radar modules properly recalibrated (Blind Spot Detection/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert)?
- While reviewing the SSM4 data, Technicians should be looking for DTCs or FFD occurring at the same time of the reported ACN / AACN contact. If there is NO data indicated at the time of the contact, then ACN / AACN was most likely triggered by an “unusual, unexpected or severe driving” event. The lack of a collision, airbag deployment, a reported fault with the Telematics system, other vehicle system(s) or general operation excludes the vehicle itself as being the prompter of the ACN / AACN contact. This leaves unusual, unexpected or severe driver input as the source.
- As previously mentioned, while reviewing the SSM4 data, Technicians should be looking for DTCs or FFD that occurred at the time of the reported contact. If information is present that coincides with the time of customer ACN / AACN contact, the Technician should use an abundance of care when reviewing this important data. Technicians should be looking for data which could mislead the Telematics system into thinking there was a collision or airbag deployment. Use every information resource available including STIS, TSBs, TechTIPS, FSE contact, and / or Techline to verify the proper functioning of these systems. If the Technician cannot confirm proper functionality after a full review, Techline must then be contacted with all details prior to any release of the vehicle back to the customer.
- ALWAYS ensure all safety systems are working properly BEFORE clearing any historical data and releasing the vehicle back to the customer.
Customer Concern: “The STARLINK call center contacted me and said I was in an accident, but I was not in an accident”.
First and foremost, the STARLINK Operator knows only that an ACN / AACN has been triggered; not the cause of that trigger. The Operator will assume there has been an accident or airbag deployment until informed otherwise. They do not review the data received from the vehicle to adjust their greeting when making the contact. Call Center Team members act with urgency to provide the highest level of customer care and, if necessary, to alert first responders.
Earlier in this document, it was highlighted that unusual, unexpected or severe driving conditions may trigger an ACN / AACN even in the absence of collision or airbag deployment. In that case, customer contact from STARLINK remains the expected behavior. When presented to a retailer after this type of ACN / AACN, the vehicle MUST be thoroughly inspected to ensure there are no current or historical concerns with any safety system, and that the Telematics system is functioning properly BEFORE releasing the vehicle back to the customer.
Customer indicates they were involved in an Accident:
When a customer presents their vehicle to a retailer stating that it has been in an accident (regardless of whether or not anyone was injured), and the customer asserts either (1) incorrect or unexpected vehicle operation may have contributed to the accident, or (2) the vehicle or STARLINK did not respond the way the customer expected, retailer personnel must follow these protocols while keeping the customer’s needs and feelings in mind:
- The retailer must immediately complete and submit an Urgent Request for Customer Assistance (URFCA) and,
- The retailer should advise the customer to contact the SOA Customer Advocacy Department (CAD) to document and provide details regarding the accident.
NOTE: If a customer presents the vehicle after it has been an accident, but the customer is not alleging any concern with the vehicle or vehicle systems in relation to the accident, then there is no need to complete an URFCA or contact CAD. If you have any questions or concerns regarding when an URFCA is required in these types of situations, please contact your DPSM or FSE for guidance.
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.
1 Associated Document
- Operation System: ONLY fit for Subaru WRX Forester 2016 2017 2018 with Silver Matte Surrounds of the air vents & Without harmon kardon sound syste. Android 10.0 Oreo OS, enlarged room with 4GB RAM+32GB ROM, Rock Chip PX5, Octa-Core 66Bit CPU Processor ensure faster speed and more fluent experience.
- Audio-visual Functions: Giant 9 inch display with 1024*600 high resolution. EQ Settings with the 9-band graphic equalizer, NXP6686 radio chip and TDA7850L Amplifier chip equipped, which could provide you the best sound quality. Max Audio output: 4*52W max.
- Compatible Functions: Support Google Play and multiple languages. Support steering wheel control and Rear view Reverse Camera with RCA connector. Support mirroring Link for iphone Airplay and android phone easy-connect. Support subwoofer output and Bluetooth for hand free call and music. It equipped with external microphone, build In wifi, USB ports, On/off line maps and dual satellite positioning system. Optional function are 3G/6G dongle, TV turner and DVR device.
- What You Get: Free 10G memory card. ISO cable is included. GPS Map installed in advance. Friendly customer service, lifetime software update.
- High Quality Anti Glare and Anti Finger Print Screen Protector from Japan (3 Pack)
- Installation kit (Cleaning Cloth, Dust remover and Plastic Squeegee Card) is included
- This Universal Car Screen Protector needs to be trimmed to fit your car's navigation system
- Screen Protector Sheet Dimensions: 8 x 7 inches
- Online Video Tutorial will Guide you through the installation process
- ★【Vehicle Compatibility】Fit for Subaru Forester WRX 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012. Built-in Carplay/Android Auto on board chip. Support Wireless & Wired USB Carplay/ Wired USB Android Auto. No need Carplay Dongle
- ★【Radio Details】Android 10.0 System , Rockchip Hexa Core 4G RAM 64G ROM. 2.5D IPS Screen 1280*720 Resolution. Built-in Carplay/ Android Auto / DSP with 4*50W amplification/ WIFI / FM AM Radio/ Microphone/ Music / Navigation/ bluetooth 5.0/ HD Video Out/ 6 Audio Output
- ★ 【Plug and Play 】Comes with Comes with ISO Cable . Support Factory Steering Wheel Control and Car Reverse Camera
- ★【Multifunction 】Split Screen Function, Phone Mirror Link, bluetooth Hands-free Phone Call & Tethering Internet, GPS Navigation(Offline Map Preloaded ), Ajustable Pannel Button Light Color, Support 4K Video Format
- ★【1 Year Maintenance & Technical Support】Manufacturer`s limited 1-Year Maintenance for defective items (excluding items damaged and/or misused after receipt). Accessories come with 3-month Maintenance. Professional Technical Support , Reply Email Within 24 hours. Firmware/Software/ Map Update Support
- FAST RUNNING & Plug and play * Come with well connected harness.Fit for 2016-2019 WRX and STI, 2016-2018 Forester, 2015-2016 Impreza. Support factory backup camera and USB. Android 10 System with PX5 8-core CPU, Samsung 4GB RAM,32GB internal Flash memory, supports USB flash drive,MP3 Player and SSD,Support 2 second fastboot for the second time.
- MULTIMEDIA FUNCTION * Support Steering Wheel Controls,hands free phone call enable more safer when driving, B.T music for android phone and iphone let you enjoy all the online songs, FM AM Radio Built-in RDS receiver , Subwoofer & EQ settings with 10 bands, Aux Connector.
- TOUCH SCREEN AND MAP * Capacitive 10.2 Inch IPS Screen deliver rich colors at wide viewing angles, 1080P Video Decoder support 4K Video format providing a excellent viewing experience.support Google Maps Online GPS Navigation ,Offline maps was built-in with Free gift 8GB SD card.
- WIRELESS CONNECTION * Connect to your phone conveniently, Built-in WiFi, bluetooth, Supports 3G/4G network through external USB dongle, mirror link function for android phone and Iphone.
- DIY SETTING * Color of the button light, equalizer style(Flat, Rock,Pop,Jazz,Classic,Voice,Custom), Brightness adjustment, Dual Zone function, Screen background picture, Boot car logo, Support accessories like backup camera, Bluetooth OBD, DVR camera,TPMS meets your individual needs?¡ê Any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us, we respond message within 24hours. here is the path to contact us directly: click "SYGAV" above the "add to cart", then click "ask a question".
- Radio Dash kit and wire harness for installing an aftermarket radio
- No Factory Navigation Vehicles only- Compatible with: 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Subaru Forester, 2008-2011 Subaru Impreza, 2008-2014 Subaru WRX - No Factory NAV
- Dash kit works with a Single and Double din Radio- Dash kit has a black finish- Wire harness plugs directly into the car
- Very Important- Only for vehicles that didn't come with Factory Navigation.
- Will not retain some features like steering audio controls- extra adapters required
Last update on 2021-07-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-07-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API