NHTSA ID Number: 10177825
Manufacturer Communication Number: 15-267-20
This document discusses some of the conditions that may trigger an Automatic Collision Notification (CAN) (Gen1) or Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN) (Gen2), without a collision, airbag deployment, or accident taking place.
39 Affected Products
|APPLICABILITY:||All 2016-20MY Subaru Vehicles Equipped with Gen 1 and / or Gen 2 Telematics|
|SUBJECT:||Telematics System Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) and Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN) Feature Operation, Diagnostic TIPS and Best Practices|
Telematics System Applicability Chart:
|Carline MY 2016 MY 2017||MY 2018||MY 2019||MY 2020||MY 2121|
This document discusses some of the conditions that may trigger an Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) (Gen1) or Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN) (Gen2), without a collision, airbag deployment, or accident taking place.
ACN is the cornerstone of the STARLINK Telematics System for emergency response situations. When retailer personnel and Technicians are speaking to customers about this feature, it is important to understand proper system behavior and explain its operation accurately. It is important to empathize with the customer’s feelings during these conversations as conditions that initiate ACN may be some of the most frightening moments of their lives. In doing so, however, do not express any conclusions regarding the functioning of the system. For example, the following is an empathetic statement: “That certainly sounds like a frightening experience for you”. Contrast that statement with a conclusion such as, “You’re right I wouldn’t expect it to happen that way either”. The first statement acknowledges what the customer is feeling, while the second may be incorrect, and serves only to increase the customer’s anxiety about the vehicle function or operation.
There is no function check a Technician can perform to confirm proper operation of the ACN / AACN feature. If the Telematics system on a subscribed vehicle is DTC free and the GREEN TELEMATICS LED IS ILLUMINATED, there is nothing to prevent the successful operation of ACN. There is essential documentation reiterated on STIS, in TSBs and TechTIPS reminding Technicians to NEVER swap a DCM between vehicles for any reason. There is also similar documentation reiterating the importance of completing a thorough test to confirm proper Telematics operation whenever repairs to the system have been performed. ACN provides information for emergency response and in many situations a DCM swap WILL preclude operation of this potentially life-saving feature. In addition, if the DCM is swapped, the GREEN LED WILL NOT illuminate indicating a problem currently exists with the Telematics system.
VERY IMPORTANT: Any Technician or other retailer personnel who, despite service documentation and training to the contrary, performs a DCM swap on a subscribed vehicle should NEVER release that vehicle back to the customer until after confirming the proper operation of the Telematics system. If the issue is first discovered only after the vehicle has been released to the customer, then the retailer MUST contact the customer immediately to inform the customer the ACN/AACN feature may not be functioning properly, and that the vehicle must be returned for inspection as soon as possible.
Gen1 Telematics equipped vehicles include the ACN feature. For ACN and SOS button push support, Sirius-XM (SXM) is the Customer Care Team who receives the customer contact and determines the nature of the emergency. Both these features provide the SXM Operator with the vehicle location when the Telematics system is functioning properly. Therefore retailers MUST request and confirm the vehicle location and VIN information when making test calls to the SXM call center. Pushing the SOS or iButton and not connecting to an Operator to confirm the VIN and vehicle location is an INCOMPLETE Telematics system function check.
Gen2 vehicles feature Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN). For AACN and SOS button push, the STARLINK call center is the STARLINK Customer Care Team who receives the customer contact and determines the nature of the emergency. With AACN, there is more data sent to the STARLINK call center to help identify vehicle status in addition to the location. Again, retailers MUST request and confirm the vehicle location and VIN information when making test calls to the STARLINK call center. Pushing the SOS or iButton and not connecting to an operator to confirm VIN and vehicle location is an INCOMPLETE Telematics system function check.
When Does ACN or AACN trigger a communication from the vehicle to SXM / STARLINK?
- A collision is detected. This could be frontal, side or rear end. Severity of the impact determines if ACN is sent or not.
- An Airbag deployment occurs.
- An unusual, unexpected or severe driving event occurs even without a collision or airbag deployment. Examples: sudden changes in terrain, loss of vehicle control, near rollover, off-road operation or aggressive driving maneuvers.
What should the retailer do when a customer reports concerns involving ACN or AACN with
NO COLLISION or NO AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT?
- Obtain a detailed report from the customer outlining events leading up to receiving the ACN / AACN contact.
- Were there any operational concerns with the vehicle with or without a malfunction indicator or other warning lamp(s) illuminating?
- Was there any difficulty controlling the operation of the vehicle?
- What were the driving / road conditions? Weather? Terrain? Time of Day?
- Did the driver make any aggressive driving maneuvers, or experience any sudden changes in speed, direction, or terrain?
- What happened during the ACN / AACN contact?
- What did the STARLINK Operator indicate to the customer?
- Was the car performing as the customer expected?
- Did the vehicle continue to perform as expected after the ACN / AACN contact?
What should Technicians be looking for on ACN/AACN concerns when there has been NO COLLISION or NO AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT?
- Verify no current Malfunction indicator lamp(s) are illuminated including the red Telematics LED located between the SOS and iButtons.
- Use the SSM4 to verify no DTCs are present by checking each system individually WITHOUT using All System Scan.
- While reviewing the SSM4 data, make notes of any historical DTCs and the retain any related Freeze Frame Data. If the ignition cycle of any history DTCs / FFD coincides with when the customer indicates the ACN / AACN contact occurred, an in-depth review of that data will be necessary.
- Ask the customer if there have been any previous body repairs or any recent service work performed including maintenance?
- If the customer reports having previous body repairs, inspect those areas closely for proper assembly and fit.
- Ensure any previous repairs and operation of affected systems meet Subaru repair standards. As examples, if the windshield was recently replaced, was the EyeSight system recalibrated afterward or, if the rear bumper was replaced, were the rear facing radar modules properly recalibrated (Blind Spot Detection/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert)?
- While reviewing the SSM4 data, Technicians should be looking for DTCs or FFD occurring at the same time of the reported ACN / AACN contact. If there is NO data indicated at the time of the contact, then ACN / AACN was most likely triggered by an “unusual, unexpected or severe driving” event. The lack of a collision, airbag deployment, a reported fault with the Telematics system, other vehicle system(s) or general operation excludes the vehicle itself as being the prompter of the ACN / AACN contact. This leaves unusual, unexpected or severe driver input as the source.
- As previously mentioned, while reviewing the SSM4 data, Technicians should be looking for DTCs or FFD that occurred at the time of the reported contact. If information is present that coincides with the time of customer ACN / AACN contact, the Technician should use an abundance of care when reviewing this important data. Technicians should be looking for data which could mislead the Telematics system into thinking there was a collision or airbag deployment. Use every information resource available including STIS, TSBs, TechTIPS, FSE contact, and / or Techline to verify the proper functioning of these systems. If the Technician cannot confirm proper functionality after a full review, Techline must then be contacted with all details prior to any release of the vehicle back to the customer.
- ALWAYS ensure all safety systems are working properly BEFORE clearing any historical data and releasing the vehicle back to the customer.
Customer Concern: “The STARLINK call center contacted me and said I was in an accident, but I was not in an accident”.
First and foremost, the STARLINK Operator knows only that an ACN / AACN has been triggered; not the cause of that trigger. The Operator will assume there has been an accident or airbag deployment until informed otherwise. They do not review the data received from the vehicle to adjust their greeting when making the contact. Call Center Team members act with urgency to provide the highest level of customer care and, if necessary, to alert first responders.
Earlier in this document, it was highlighted that unusual, unexpected or severe driving conditions may trigger an ACN / AACN even in the absence of collision or airbag deployment. In that case, customer contact from STARLINK remains the expected behavior. When presented to a retailer after this type of ACN / AACN, the vehicle MUST be thoroughly inspected to ensure there are no current or historical concerns with any safety system, and that the Telematics system is functioning properly BEFORE releasing the vehicle back to the customer.
Customer indicates they were involved in an Accident:
When a customer presents their vehicle to a retailer stating that it has been in an accident (regardless of whether or not anyone was injured), and the customer asserts either (1) incorrect or unexpected vehicle operation may have contributed to the accident, or (2) the vehicle or STARLINK did not respond the way the customer expected, retailer personnel must follow these protocols while keeping the customer’s needs and feelings in mind:
- The retailer must immediately complete and submit an Urgent Request for Customer Assistance (URFCA) and,
- The retailer should advise the customer to contact the SOA Customer Advocacy Department (CAD) to document and provide details regarding the accident.
NOTE: If a customer presents the vehicle after it has been an accident, but the customer is not alleging any concern with the vehicle or vehicle systems in relation to the accident, then there is no need to complete an URFCA or contact CAD. If you have any questions or concerns regarding when an URFCA is required in these types of situations, please contact your DPSM or FSE for guidance.
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.
1 Associated Document
- Operation System: ONLY fit for Subaru WRX Forester 2016 2017 2018 with Silver Matte Surrounds of the air vents & Without harmon kardon sound syste. Android 10.0 Oreo OS, enlarged room with 4GB RAM+32GB ROM, Rock Chip PX5, Octa-Core 66Bit CPU Processor ensure faster speed and more fluent experience.
- Audio-visual Functions: Giant 9 inch display with 1024*600 high resolution. EQ Settings with the 9-band graphic equalizer, NXP6686 radio chip and TDA7850L Amplifier chip equipped, which could provide you the best sound quality. Max Audio output: 4*52W max.
- Compatible Functions: Support Google Play and multiple languages. Support steering wheel control and Rear view Reverse Camera with RCA connector. Support mirroring Link for iphone Airplay and android phone easy-connect. Support subwoofer output and Bluetooth for hand free call and music. It equipped with external microphone, build In wifi, USB ports, On/off line maps and dual satellite positioning system. Optional function are 3G/6G dongle, TV turner and DVR device.
- What You Get: Free 10G memory card. ISO cable is included. GPS Map installed in advance. Friendly customer service, lifetime software update.
- High Quality Anti Glare and Anti Finger Print Screen Protector from Japan (3 Pack)
- Installation kit (Cleaning Cloth, Dust remover and Plastic Squeegee Card) is included
- This Universal Car Screen Protector needs to be trimmed to fit your car's navigation system
- Screen Protector Sheet Dimensions: 8 x 7 inches
- Online Video Tutorial will Guide you through the installation process
- ★【Vehicle Compatibility 】Fit for Subaru Forester WRX 2016 2017 2018. Does Not Support Factory Harmon Kardon System. Built-in Carplay/Android Auto on board chip. Support Wireless & Wired USB Carplay/ Wired USB Android Auto. No need Carplay Dongle
- ★【Plug and Play 】Comes with Plug and Play Cable, Support Steering Wheel Control and Factory Car Rear View
- ★【Radio Details】Android 10.0 System , Rockchip Hexa Core 4G RAM 64G ROM. 2.5D IPS Screen 1280*720 Resolution. Built-in Carplay/ Android Auto / DSP with 4*50W amplification/ WIFI / FM AM Radio/ Microphone/ Music / Navigation/ bluetooth 5.0/ HD Video Out/ 6 Audio Output
- ★【Multifunction 】 Split screen function. bluetooth 5.0 Hands-free Phone Call. Support Sync phone book. Support GPS Navigation + Glonass Dual satellites. Support Google Map and GPS Voice Guidance ( Offline Map Preloaded ). Support RCA Connector Front and Rear View Camera Display and Support rca output to work with aftermarket amp. Adjustable Button Light Color
- ★【1 Year Maintenance & Technical Support】Manufacturer`s limited 1-Year Maintenance for defective items (excluding items damaged and/or misused after receipt). Accessories come with 3-month Maintenance. Professional Technical Support , Reply Email Within 24 hours. Firmware/Software/ Map Update Support
- Fit for Subaru Outback 11.6IN 2020 2021 Car Navigation
- Self-healing,Anti-scratch.Easy to apply. Not Interfere with Touch screen Technology
- Perfect protection for your screen, Leaves no residue,avoid unwanted scratches and repels dust
- Made from triple layer high quality electrostatic material,while reducing signs of daily wear
- 2pcs Navigation Protective film + Installation auxiliary tools+ Squeegee card
- 【SIZE】For 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Subaru Outback 8-Inch 175*99mm ONLY.
- 【ULTRA-THIN, HIGH DEFINITION, HIGH SENSITIVE TOUCH FEELING】0.26mm thickness, 99% color reproduction. Restoring the original color, to bring a clear and smooth navigation using experience.
- 【9H HARDNESS AND SAFETY】①Made from tempered glass and OCA optical adhesive, which even it broken, will remain blocky. ②9H Hardness, Anti-scratches, effectively resist the collision of hard objects and daily friction. ③Waterproof, oil-proof, reduce fingerprints. ④ANTI-GLARE, protect your eyes from blue-ray.
- 【AUTOMATIC ADSORPTION, EASY TO INSTALL】As long as it is aligned with the four corners and then placed flat, this protective film will automatically absorb. NO worry about getting bubbles out.
- 【PACKAGE INCLUDES】Navigation Screen Protector x 1, Installation Auxiliary Tools x 1 (Micro-Fiber Cleaning Cloth, Alcohol Prep Pad, Dust Removal Stickers, Plastic Sucker)
- Radio Dash kit and wire harness for installing an aftermarket radio
- No Factory Navigation Vehicles only- Compatible with: 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Subaru Forester, 2008-2011 Subaru Impreza, 2008-2014 Subaru WRX - No Factory NAV
- Dash kit works with a Single and Double din Radio- Dash kit has a black finish- Wire harness plugs directly into the car
- Very Important- Only for vehicles that didn't come with Factory Navigation.
- Will not retain some features like steering audio controls- extra adapters required
- Special mobile phone holder, only for Subaru Forester SUV 2019-2021
- Dedicated base, not blocking the navigation screen
- Easy Installation, installation does not damage the car,easy installation
- Gravity linkage, Place your phone with one hand, Place firmly
- Suitable for mobile phone (including mobile phone case) maximum width: 7.5cm / 3 inches.
- ① Tailored for Subaru Outback 2015 2016 2017 7 Inch without trimming the edges, Laser cutting is precisely suitable.
- ② 9H hardness and 0.3mm thickness, this glass cover maintains the touch function of the GPS navigator while ensuring a smoother touch, scratch and explosion protection.
- ③ Installing the screen cover does not affect the color, icon size and touch screen function of the GPS display. It only protects it from dust, scratches, oil, water and fingerprints.
- ④ Layered with oleophobic coating, it can repel the grease left by fingerprints and add extra smoothness to the navigation screen.
- ⑤ In order to keep the GPS screen protector clean and dust-free, just wipe it with a microfiber cloth. No need to use harmful cleaning substances.
- The Car DVD Player supports 3G/Wifi and Bluetooth: You can enjoy Online Entertainment (support online video(HD), TV, movie, music, radio, YouTube, Yahoo, MSN...) and Online Communication (Web Chat, Twitter, Face book, Google+, Gtalk, Gmail and other services), surfing online and watching video on this vehicle multimedia player which will give you more fun when you driving .
- The GPS navigation supports VOICE PROMPT: We will provide you a 8G SD card with the latest version map of your country. With the voice navigation, you won’t get lost in your travelling, and it will bring safety to you and your family.
- 2G RAM Octa Core Android 8.0 Car Stereo: Large memory makes the latest android system run smoothly and steadily. This car radio supports digital TV, Car rear view camera,DVR,OBD,DAB box....More optional functions give you better experience .
- Mirrorlink is built in the car multimedia player: you can use mobile APPs on the screen of head units with wireless connection, more convenient.The Car DVD unit is Plug and Play: The device will come with all necessary cables, it is easy to install and you don’t have to cut cables. The DVD support 1 year warranty .
- The Car DVD GPS Navigation is adapted to Subaru Forester 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
Last update on 2021-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API