July 29, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V587000
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V587
Manufacturer Subaru of America, Inc.
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 165,026
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2019-2020 Ascent, 2018 Forester, 2018-2020 Impreza, Legacy, Outback, 2018-2019 BRZ, WRX, and Toyota 86 vehicles. The low-pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank may fail.
Dealers will replace the low-pressure fuel pump, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed September 13, 2021. Subaru and Toyota owners may call customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru’s number for this recall is WRG-21.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
To: All Subaru Retailers
From: Subaru of America, Inc.
Date: August 2, 2021
New Safety Recall: WRG-21 Fuel Pump Impeller Failure
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a new safety recall for certain 2019-2020 model year Ascent, 2018-2019 model year BRZ, 2018 model year Forester (turbo), 2018-2020 model year Impreza, 2018-2020 model year Legacy, 2018-2020 model year Outback, and 2018-2019 model year WRX vehicles in which the fuel pump may become inoperative.
Description of the Defect and Safety Risk
The affected vehicles may be equipped with a low pressure fuel pump produced during a specific timeframe that may include an impeller which has been manufactured with a lower density. Under certain conditions, the lower density fuel pump impeller may deform and interfere with the body of the fuel pump, potentially causing the low pressure fuel pump to become inoperative.
If the low pressure fuel pump becomes inoperative, the check engine warning light or malfunction indicator light may illuminate, and/or the engine may run rough. In the worst case, an inoperative fuel pump may result in the engine stalling without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
A total of 161,366 U.S. vehicles will be affected by this recall, as listed below:
Production Date Range
Affected vehicle count
January 14, 2019 – May 20, 2019
April 6, 2018 – November 6, 2018
April 20, 2018 – August 7, 2018
May 3, 2018 – May 31, 2019
June 25, 2018 – September 27, 2019
June 25, 2018 – September 27, 2019
April 20, 2018 – November 1, 2018
Not all vehicles in the production ranges listed above are affected by this recall. Coverage must be confirmed by using the Vehicle Coverage Inquiry function on subarunet.com prior to repair. This information will be available tomorrow. The status of this recall will display as “Open – Remedy Not Yet Available” until parts are available to support this recall.
Service, Parts, and Claim Instructions
The remedy parts for this recall will begin to arrive later this month. Once there is a limited supply available, the status of this recall will be changed to “Open – Limited Parts Available” to allow repairs to begin if affected vehicles are presented for other services prior to owner notification.
Sufficient remedy parts supply is expected to be available prior to owner notification. Once available, the remedy parts must be ordered through PRIME. Please refer to ‘Recalls & Campaigns/PRIME Max Quantities’ on subarunet for the orderable quantities.
For detailed service, parts, and claim information, please refer to the WRG-21 Product Campaign Bulletin which will be available on STIS next week.
Please be advised that it is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle covered by a recall under a sale or lease until the defect is remedied. Therefore, any Authorized Subaru Retailer failing to perform the applicable service procedures to correct all affected vehicles in their inventory prior to the vehicle being placed in service may be subject to civil penalties of up to $21,000 per violation (i.e., for each vehicle), as provided in 49 CFR §578.6 and will also be in breach of the Subaru Dealer Agreement.
Any vehicles listed in any recall/campaign that are in retailer stock must be:
▪ Immediately identified
▪ Tagged or otherwise marked to prevent their delivery or use prior to repair
▪ Repaired in accordance with the repair procedures outlined in the Product Campaign Bulletin
Once the remedy kits specific to this recall are available, retailers are to promptly perform the applicable service procedures, to correct all affected vehicles in their inventory (used, demo & SSLP). Whenever a vehicle subject to this recall is taken into retailer inventory necessary steps should be taken to ensure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
Subaru will notify affected vehicle owners by first class mail within 60 days. Retailers will be advised when the notification is scheduled.
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
Provide the chronology of events leading up to the defect decision or test data for the noncompliance:
May 2020 – October 2020 – Subaru continued to monitor the field data. In addition to field data monitoring, Subaru continued to investigate vehicles outside of recall population identified in 20V218. As part of the ongoing investigation, Subaru collaborated with the supplier to further analyze the density of the impellers.
May 2020 – August 2020 – In addition to continued field data monitoring, Subaru conducted a collection and analysis of healthy parts. The purpose was to compare impeller deformation by lot number, vehicle model, and geographic region. The result of the healthy collection study supported the determination outlined in 20V-218, and more broadly, the Subaru’s decisions in other global markets.
November 17, 2020 – As a result of supplier’s investigation, the supplier submitted report 20E-085. In that report, resin density was determined to more closely correlate with field cases than overall impeller density because the impeller material contains three elements (resin, glass fiber, and calcium carbonate), but only one element (resin) is susceptible to swelling. This improved understanding of density led to the identification of additional material lots which could contribute to the occurrence of the condition in combination with other factors.
November 2020 – December 2020 – As a result of the supplier’s report, Subaru began correlating the additional material lots provided by the supplier with the field data, manufacturing information, vehicle specific variables, and other information to determine which vehicles, if any, may be susceptible to the condition.
December 2020 – Subaru, in collaboration with the supplier, found that use of fuel pump controller (FPC), especially where used in lowering the fuel pump impeller rotational speed, reduced the margin for the pump overcoming interference. For vehicles produced in the U.S., implementation of a FPC was not a primary consideration for vehicle population, because the other factors used to determine scope required inclusion of both FPC-equipped and non-FPC-equipped vehicles. However, the findings suggested that for vehicles produced outside of the U.S., where longer periods of solvent drying time had not been identified, the effect of an FPC, in combination with a lower resin density impeller, needed to be investigated further.
April 2021 to June 2021– Subaru conducted a field correlation review including the updated part manufacturing lot numbers and the technical findings related to the FPC. The review included analysis of field data and field return part investigations.
July 22, 2021 – Subaru has identified, using best engineering judgement, 27 unique non-dealer Subaru field reports within the identified population and 8 VOQs from the model year/models listed in this report. The cumulative warranty claim rate for the identified population is below 1%. Out of an abundance of caution, Subaru decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall.
18 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Chronology of Defect
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: August 2, 2021 New Safety Recall: WRG-21 Fuel Pump Impeller Failure
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Toyota Date: July 30, 2021 SAFETY RECALL 21TA03 (Interim Notice 21TB03) Certain 2018 – 2019 Model Year 86 Vehicle May Stall if Low-Pressure Fuel Pump Becomes Inoperative
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN:The included adapters, hoses and fittings cover all fuel injection systems and most cars and trucks world wide!
- IDEAL FOR MECHANICS:Fuel Injection Pump Pressure / Oil Combustion Spraying Pressure Gauge Teste
- DURABLE: Designed for repeated use with high quality materials
- A MONEY-SAVING TOOL: Save hundreds of dollars on fuel injection tester kit.
- Measuring range: 0-140psi (0-10 bar)
- Dual Dial For Accurate Reading, With A 140 PSI /10 Bar Scale
- Deluxe Manometer Fuel Injection Pressure Tester Gauge Kit
- Set comes in a specially designed molded case to make storage easy and organized.
- A time saving quick coupler connection at the end of he gauge hose makes a speedy and efficient couple possible with most adapters.
- The included adapters, hoses and fittings cover all fuel injection systems and most cars and trucks world wide!
- UNIVERSAL FUEL PRESSURE TESTER: Orion Motor Tech's fuel test gauge kit includes an easy-to-read dual gauge and all the hoses, fittings, and adapters necessary to connect with and test the fuel pressure on most import and domestic gas vehicles including cars, SUVs, and trucks
- ACCURATE READING: The 4-inch fuel pressure gauge tester features a shockproof rubber casing and a large dual-scale dial with readings in both psi (to 140) and bars (to 10) for easy and accurate work on both American and metric systems
- QUALITY MATERIALS: All the connectors in this fuel injection tool set are manufactured from high-quality brass and aluminum for durable strength and long-term corrosion resistance; the rubber hoses endure torsion and temperature and pressure extremes to ensure safe use
- PRECISION ENGINEERING: The fine threading and sealing rings give you a snug fit every time, while the pressure release valve and long drain hose safely release pressure and recover fuel flow once your testing is complete
- QUALITY ASSURANCE: Look to OMT for the finest craftsmanship and the most reliable fuel injection testing tools, rigorously tested and backed with our usual strong warranty and friendly 24/7 customer service, ensuring years of satisfied use!
- 【Smoke Machine T105】MR CARTOOL EVAP Leak Detector T105 is a professional machine for automotive pipe system leak detection. Can be used for EVAP System, Intake System, Exhaust System, Crankcase System, Engine Air Tightness and Cooling System.
- 【Air Mode & Smoke Mode】Built-in air pump and smoke generator, so it does not rely on additional air machine, perfect for Mobile Automotive Repair! The smoke can be produced within 10 seconds, dramatically reducing diagnostic time. Smoke output value: 4L/min.
- 【Pressure Gauge】Equipped with a liquid filled pressure gauge, by observing the change of the pressure gauge value, it is easier to find small leaks. Built-in over-heat protection, if it exceeds working limit (Over 176℉), it will power off automatically.
- 【Complete Set】Comes with 4.92ft Smoke Hose, EVAP Special Connector, Standard Cone Adapter, Power Cord Clamp, Valve Core Wrench, Airbag Adaptor, Rubber Connector Part, 3.38oz Empty Bottle for test oil(baby oil), 8PCS Soft Rubber Hose Plugs.
- 【Worry-Free After-Sales】MR CARTOOL offers 24-month warranty and 7x24 hours friendly customer service to ensure your shopping experience. No need to pay extra for warranty service, saving you a lot of money! If you have any issues about the EVAP Leak Tester, don't hesitate to contact us directly.
- The fuel injector tester kit is designed to identify and diagnose malfunctions in fuel supply & injection systems and help find possible causes. Suitable for most fuel injection systems in gasoline vehicles such as cars, trucks and ATVs. Incompatible with Bosch, CIS-Jetronic, or GM throttle body systems because of no suitable connection adapters. Also not fit diesel high pressure injection pump or high pressure fuel track on direct-injection engine due to the test range: 0-140psi /0-10 bar
- Gas fuel pressure tester gauge kit equips with various fittings and hoses for test, and supports two assembly forms. One is to connect pressure gauge directly to fuel pump's standard Schrader / M6 / M8 / M10 / M12 / M14 fuel pressure test port with 15" / 8" hose and M8 / M10 / M12 / M14 adapters. The other is to measure by fitting the T-type joint between the fuel pump and engine. Please note: no small Schrader connector in this fuel presure test kit to perform service for some Ford models.
- Accurate fuel pressure gauge has a 3-1/2" big color-coded dial with shockproof rubber cover. 15"L hose can attach to the 1/4" SAE standard Schrader valve on fuel pump or fuel rail directly. The built-in translucent fuel discharge hose and pressure release valve work for safe pressure release & easy fuel recovery. The connectors are made of brass and aluminium, good airtightness & anti-corrosion. Reinforced rubber resin nylon hoses (WP:300PSI) are resistant to torsion & high temperature
- After testing the fuel pressure by YSTOOL gasoline engine fuel injection pressure tester, compare the reading with the recommended pressure range. If higher, it could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator or a bent clogged return line. If lower, possible causes are dirty fuel filter, weak pump function, incorrect fuel tank exhaust, restricted fuel line, clogged pump inlet filter or electrical control failure. Petrol is highly flammable, please ask professionals to operate with no open fire nearby
- Your satisfaction and recognition are always what we pursue. Within one month from the date of purchase, the product can be returned unconditionally if it is complete and without any damage. Within one year warranty period, any quality issue with the product, you are promised to exchange or refund the problematic parts for free. Please contact us to resolve any issues during your use before leaving any feedback.
- Country Of Origin : China
- Package Weight: 8.3 lbs
- Package Dimensions: 46.482 L x 36.322 W x 17.018 H(cm)
- Product type : AUTO ACCESSORY
- country of origin : China
- Package Weight: 1.315 kg
- Package Dimensions: 34.29 L x 22.86 W x 5.08 H (cm)
- Product type : AUTO ACCESSORY
- Fuel Injection Pressure Gauge Tester Kit includes a complete adapters, hoses & fittings; fits for Ford, Geo, GM, Honda, Jeep, Mazda, Chrysler, Toyota & more cars and trucks.
- The Engine Fuel Pressure Gauge has a 140 PSI /10 Bar Scale for accurate reading and great precision. Equipped with shockproof cover and hook, offering the gauge a great protect.
- The Gauge kit has a Pressure release valve and long drain hose, which makes it safe and fast to use. Comes with a instruction manual for easy use.
- This Fuel Pressure Tester Set with a ABS plastic blow-molded case keeps the tools organized, safe storage and easy to transport.
- Note: Buy with confidence, we have 18-Months customer support. If any problem, please contact us in any time.
- FITMENT TYPE FOR JIFETOR FUEL INJECTION GAUGE: The car fuel pressure diagnostic test kit is suitable for most vehicles with gasoline/gas engine fuel injection pump system (except for Bosch, CIS Jetronic, Throttle Body Systems on GM vehicles), not for diesel high pressure injection pump or high pressure fuel track on direct-injection engine, due to the fuel gauge's low pressure range. Test fuel pressure is an essential part of the troubleshooting process of fuel injection system.
- 3 CONNECTION TYPES FOR TU-113 FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TOOL KIT: The set is equipped with various fittings and hoses to connect for testing. 14"L hose is used for hooking up directly to the 1/4" SAE standard Schrader valve on fuel pump, 11"L hose for the small Schrader valve (for some Ford), and 8"L hose for M6 fuel pressure test port. 1/4" barbed brass fittings is direct for special test outlet on engine, and aluminum tee splices in-line between the fuel pump and engine for most vehicles.
- PRIMARY FUEL PRESSURE TEST KIT: Pressure gauge adopts rubber cover protected 2-3/4" large dial with 0-100psi/0-7bar range and dual color coded scale for easy reading. The hoses use rubber nylon resin material, and the build-in nylon can strengthen the hose with increased stress resistance. Please note, there is no pressure relief valve and drain hose, please wrap cloth around hose connection before relieving pressure from fuel line and removing testing components.
- CHECK FUEL INJECTOR PUMP PRESSURE: The pressure gauge is designed for checking the fuel injection pump pressure easily and quickly. You can compare the pressure value to the manufacturer's recommended reference range, aid to diagnose gasoline engine fuel system. Low fuel pressure can be caused by kink/leak/clog on inlet supply side components, a bad fuel pump or fuel regulator, low tank pressure. High fuel pressure may caused by a defective fuel pressure regulator or kinked outlet return line.
- SATISFACTORY CUSTOMER SERVICE: 30 days full refund with returned undamaged JIFETOR fuel injector tester set. Any quality related problem in 1 year, we will replace the fittings for free or refund. Any question, please feel free to contact us by email or amazon message system, we will reply ASAP in 24 hours. Please check if the kit fits for your vehicles or not before biding or as soon as receiving, if not, please return for full refund, or contact us for help if overtime.
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN ---Used on any engine you need to read fuel psi on.Helps identify and diagnose low fuel pressure, a faulty fuel pressure regulator, leaking injectors, fuel leaks, and clogged fuel filters.The included adapters, hoses and fittings cover all fuel injection systems and most cars and trucks world wide!
- FORD ADAPTERS INCLUDED ---Come with 3 adapters with hoses fit with most of the Ford vehicles.
- PARAMETER---Double Scale Gauge:0-10bar,0-140psi.Three size adapters :6.30mm(SAE 1/4)7.89mm(SAE 5/16)9.49mm(SAE 3/8).
Last update on 2021-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API