|APPLICABILITY:||2012-14MY Impreza 2.0L Models|
|2015MY WRX and STI Models|
|SUBJECT:||Rattling Sound from Rear Package Shelf Area|
This bulletin provides information about changes made to the rear shelf trim to address customer concerns of a rattling sound heard while driving over bumpy / rough roads. The sources of the rattle have been identified as the mounting for the center stop lamp in the package shelf and / or the shelf itself rattling against the inside of the rear glass.
PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION:
The new package shelves were incorporated into production per the starting VIN chart below:
|WRX / STI||All||F*811957|
|65510FJ011VH (Black Interior)||Impreza 2.0|
|65510FJ011WJ (Beige Interior)|
|65510VA001VH||WRX / STI w/ Harman-Kardon Audio|
|65510VA030VH||WRX / STI w/out Harman-Kardon Audio|
The changes made to the new shelves include:
- addition of 5 non-woven tape “cushion seats” in the area of the center stop lamp
- EPT foam tape added along the rear edge of the shelf to insulate it from contacting the rear glass.
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
- If the rattle sound is confirmed and determined to be coming from the center stop lamp in the rear package shelf, prepare 5 pieces of non-woven tape material (p.n. SOA963W110) 15mm X 30mm. Remove the lamp assembly following the procedure in the applicable Service Manual. Apply the non-woven tape (cushion seats) to the lamp mounting areas of the package shelf as shown in the illustration and photo below. Reinstall the lamp assembly in reverse order of removal.
- If the rattle sound is confirmed and determined to be caused by the rear package shelf contacting the rear glass, order a self-adhesive EPT foam tape “kit” (p.n. 63599AJ000). Remove the package shelf following the procedure in the applicable Service Manual. Using the 3mm X 5mm X 650mm long strips from the kit, apply the EPT foam tape to the rear edge of the package shelf as shown in the illustration below. Each side will use approximately 600mm of the 650mm long strip. In addition, apply the 5 non-woven tape (cushion seats) as referenced above to the center stop lamp mounting areas of the package shelf at this time. Reinstall the package shelf and center stop lamp assembly in reverse order of removal.
- Always verify proper operation of the center stop lamp and road test the vehicle to confirm the repairs have eliminated the condition before releasing it back to the customer.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|CENTER STOP LAMP RATTLE SOUND REPAIR||A916-294||XGS-25||0.4|
|REAR SHELF TRIM AND CENTER STOP LAMP RATTLE SOUND REPAIR||A912-104||YBH-25||0.6|
For claim submission purposes, use part number SOA635079 for the non-woven tape. Use part number SOA635308 for the EPT self-adhesive foam.
REMINDER: SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.