NHTSA ID Number: 10166952
Manufacturer Communication Number: 05-71-19
This bulletin provides an inspection procedure to follow when addressing customer concerns of a rattling, knocking of klunk type sound when going over slight bumps and/ or uneven road surfaces.
2 Affected Products
This bulletin provides an inspection procedure to follow when addressing customer concerns of a rattling, knocking or klunk type sound when going over slight bumps and / or uneven road surfaces.
PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION:
New front coil springs were incorporated into production starting with VIN L3406693.
There has been no change to the current front coil spring part number.
REMINDER: Always order the most up-to-date replacement parts based on the specific VIN being repaired.
The handy reference table below lists all the parts, quantities needed and torque specifications for this repair (per side) as most of the hardware required consists of one-time use items.
|Description||Qty. Req’d. Per Side||Location:||Torque Spec:||Part Number|
|COIL SPRING F||1||n/a||20330XC00A|
|SELF-LOCKING NUTS: ALL ARE 1-TIME USE||2||Strut to Knuckle||155 Nm (114.3 Ft. Lbs.)||902330007|
|1||Stab. Link to Strut||60 Nm (44.3 Ft. lbs.)||902370063|
|1||Strut Mt. to Strut||55 Nm (40.6 Ft. lbs.)||902350027|
|3||Strut Mt. to Body||32 Nm (23.6 Ft. lbs.)||902350029|
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION:
REMINDER: Customer satisfaction and retention starts with performing quality repairs.
After verifying the customer concern, inspect the front coil springs closely for any contact (witness) marks as shown in the example photos supplied below. If any contact marks are confirmed, replace the affected coil spring closely following the procedure in the applicable Service Manual. The current procedures for coil spring replacement are unchanged.
The Service Manual procedures contain information critical to performing an effective repair the first time and every time. This includes but is not limited to: important SAFETY precautions, proper inspection criteria, necessary special tools, required processes and related one-time use parts needed for a complete and lasting repair.
APPLICABILITY: 2019-20MY Ascent
SUBJECT: Front Coil Spring Inspection Procedure for
Knock / Rattle Sound
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION:
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period or covered by an active Subaru Added Security Classic or Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|Labor Description||Labor Operation #||Labor Time||Fail Code|
|ONE FRONT STRUT OVERHAUL||B611-201||2.0||NAD-25|
|BOTH FRONT STRUTS OVERHAUL||B611-204||2.4|
|SUBLET REPAIR, ADMIN. EXPENSES||C101-108||0.3|
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.
- EASY TO USE: Use the ABN 11.5” Inch Strut Spring Compressor Tool – Set of 2 (Pair) – MacPherson Spring Compression, 13/16” Socket 1/2" Drive to compress the coil spring to replace the shock absorber unit or spring; For repairs on bent struts, strut tubes, and damaged pieces; Easy and super-fast setup; Attach the brackets completely onto the spring, tighten, and remove the strut; Lubricate threads with anti-seize compound for prolonged life
- LOCKS INTO PLACE: Acme threaded rod with broad spring contact and built-in detent pins to lock the coil spring in place for safer spring compression; Acme threaded rod allows for durable and smooth compression of springs both on or off the vehicle with hand or power tools
- WIDE RANGE OF COMPATIBILITY: Universally compatible with struts assembly that remove from the vehicle to transfer the old spring on the new strut; Hex-shaped end for a 13/16-inch wrench or socket and allows a 1/2-inch extension for adjustment if the strut is too close to the tool; 11.5-inch threaded rods for 10-inch to 10.5-inch maximum opening to fit jaws to coils (Wide jaws with standard diameter of approximately 6 inches OD front coil springs)
- BUILT TO LAST: Constructed with forged hooks and center screw hardened for maximum strength and longevity; Designed to withstand extreme pressure in any environment; For professional use
- EASY STORAGE: Heavy-duty plastic blow-molded carrying case for easy transportation, safe storage, and quick organization
- Forged Construction for Strength and Durability
- Also Removes and Installs Coil Springs Quickly and Safely
- Compresses Coil Springs on All Passenger Cars and Pickup Trucks
- Designed to quickly and easily compress most McPherson strut springs and coil springs
- Durable and long lasting
- This item is designed to compress many MacPherson Strut Spring sizes
- The broad spring contact and built in detent pins help to lock the spring into place for safer
- This Tools Strut Spring Compressor quickly and safely compresses the spring for easy
- replacement of the strut cartridge or strut assembly repair.
- The hooks are forged and the center screw is hardened for long life.
- RUGGED AND DURABLE FRAME: Shankly’s heavy duty spring compressor for struts and coil springs reduces tool flexing, bending, and warping, providing confidence to the mechanic.
- LARGE CARS AND TRUCKS, NO PROBLEM: Many coil spring compressor tools slip and buckle under high tension, Shankly’s heavy duty spring compressor tool bears 1000 kg maximum capacity per pair. Ideal solution for larger vehicles.
- STRONG AND SECURE HOOKS REDUCE SLIPPAGE: Avoid strut compressors with flimsy hooks creating slippage and other safety problems. Shankly’s coil compressor hooks grip springs tightly by turning easy to use hex nuts.
- UNIVERSAL COMPRESSOR TOOL: Wide jaw capacity (23 mm - 280 mm) make Shankly’s coil spring compressor tool is ideal for a range of vehicles, assisting the mechanic with years of compression jobs.
- IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS: Coil spring tool work can be dangerous. Shankly’s strut spring compressors feature lower security jaws, adjustable safety bars and a safety guard to reduce work site perils. GREASE THREADS WELL TO PRESERVE THREADS AND AVOID STRIPPING. DO NOT USE IMPACT GUN TO TIGHTEN, APPLY EVEN PRESSURE TO BOTH BY HAND USING A RATCHET WRENCH.
- Allows for repairs on bent struts, strut tubes and damaged pieces
- Compresses the coil spring to replace the shock absorber unit or spring
- Forged construction, Acme threaded rod with built in detent pins to lock the coil in place.
- Fast and easy setup
- Blow molded case protects components and provides easy transport.
- STRONG AND DURABLE: Shankly’s coil spring compressor has a drop forged enamel body and is composed of top quality materials, giving the mechanic confidence spring compressor jobs will be done right.
- MAKES SPRING COMPRESSION SAFER: Compressing struts and springs can be dangerous. Shankly’s strut spring compressor features double ended jaws with attachable security hooks for added safety and control.
- VERSATILE TOOL: Shankly’s strut compressor works as a spring compressor for struts and other coil springs on most passenger and light commercial vehicles, providing the mechanic a versatile compressor solution.
- EASY TO USE: Shankly’s spring strut compressor is simple to operate, allowing the mechanic to get the job done right and then move on.
- DIMENSIONS: This coil spring compressor tool has an operating capacity of 300 mm and overall length of 300 mm. 10 inch bolt provides max height of removable spring at 9 ½ inches.
- WIDE RANGE OF COMPATIBILITY: Compress Most Sizes Of Macpherson Strut Springs With The Oemtools Strut Spring Compressor – Quickly And Safely Compress The Spring For Easy Replacement Of The Strut Cartridge Or Strut Assembly Repair
- LOCKS INTO PLACE: Safer Spring Compression with the Broad Spring Contact and Built-in Detent Pins
- LONG LASTING: Forged Hooks and Hardened Center Screw
- OTHER FEATURES INCLUDE: Heat-Treated Forcing Screw and Safety Latches for Locking Hook to Spring
- LIMITED SPACE, NO PROBLEM: Shankly’s coil spring compressor kit is designed for use in limited space under the wheel arch.
- STRONG GRIP: This spring coil compressor features specially crafted claws which enhance safety by wrapping around coils for a sure grip.
- VERSATILE FIT: Works well with springs between 90-370mm. Maximum jaw opening is 370mm.
- ONE YEAR WARRANTY: Actions speak louder than words. We are so confident in this heavy duty coil spring compressor that it’s backed by a one year manufacturer's warranty.
- DROP FORGED CR-V STEEL: Shankly’s coil spring compressor tool is built with heat treated, high quality CR-V steel to ensure you obtain a professional job performance every time.
- Drop forged jaws & lead screws screws 350mm/14 inch both heat treated to ensure professional performance.
- Use Externally to Compress MacPherson Strut Coil Springs
- Permits Quick and Safe Removal or Installation of Springs
- Zinc Plated Compressor Fit Most Macpherson Strut Sizes
- Drop Forged, Heat Treated Steel
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API