|2008 -14MY WRX and STI|
|2012-14MY Impreza 2.0L|
|2013 -14MY XV Crosstrek (EXCEPT Hybrid Model)|
|SUBJECT:||Design Change to Stop Light Switch|
This bulletin announces a design change to the stop light switch to reduce the possibility of improper illumination of the ABS and/or VDC warning lamp with resulting DTCs C1531 and/or C0054. Details of the switch changes are shown in the illustration below.
|PART NAME:||NEW PART NUMBER:||SWITCH BODY COLOR|
|SWITCH STOP LP BUL||83311FJ000||Blue|
|Supersedes p.n. 83311FG011|
COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION
The new switch was incorporated into production starting with the following VINs as listed below:
|Impreza 5-Door & XV Crosstrek||E*259173|
|WRX & STI||E*016346|
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
Follow the procedure outlined in the Brake section of the applicable Service Manual when replacing the stop lamp switch. Additional information regarding stop light switch replacement and adjustment can be found in TSB 06-46-14, dated 4/22/2014 on STIS.
NOTE: The stop lamp switch installation and adjustment procedure varies from model to model.
- The minimum brake pedal travel specification (amount of pedal travel before the stop lamps come on) also varies between models. Using the illustrations below, measure the brake pedal stroke by first measuring the distance “A” between the floor mat and the pedal. Depress the brake pedal slowly until the brake lights come on “B” then record the second measurement. Subtract “B” from “A” to obtain the pedal stroke measurement.
- The pedal stroke specification to activate the stop light switch is 5.5mm +/- 2.5mm (>3mm but <8mm).
- If the measurement (switch activation) is out of specification, the stop light switch will need to be adjusted. When the brake lights come on too soon (not enough pedal stroke), the switch needs to be adjusted “inward” toward the bulkhead while if the pedal stroke is excessive before the brake lights come on, the switch will need to be adjusted outward toward the steering wheel. The switch adjustment is sensitive and in most cases, moving it just one notch as shown in the illustrations above should bring the operation into specification since one notch is equivalent to approximately 4mm of movement.
The specification for 2012-14 Impreza and XV Crosstrek is 1.5 – 2.5 mm and is measured differently. A .020” thick spacer shown as “a” in the illustration below is used for setting the gap between the switch plunger and the pedal stopper.
- While pulling up the brake pedal toward the steering wheel, and with the stop light switch installed, insert the spacer (a) between the pedal stopper (b) and the switch (c) as shown in the illustration below. Turn the switch to the left to release it and back to the right (clockwise) by 45° to “lock” it into position. Remove the spacer and measure the gap (specification is 1.5 – 2.5mm) between the pedal stopper and switch plunger while pulling the pedal toward the steering wheel. Reposition the switch inward or outward as needed until the proper gap is achieved.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION:
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited or Emission Warranty period or covered by a Subaru Added Security Classic or Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|STOP LIGHT SWITCH R&R and ADJUST||A455-318||UAE-43||0.5|
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.