|APPLICABILITY:||2015 and 2016MY WRX and STI Models|
|SUBJECT:||Paint Chipping between Hood Grille (Scoop) and Hood|
This new bulletin replaces TSB 12-186-15 and announces a new repair procedure to address customer concerns of the hood scoop scrubbing the finish of the hood panel in the areas shown in the photo below. Due to different expansion rates between the metal hood panel and the resin material used for the hood scoop, the edges of the scoop’s rear corners may come in contact with the hood panel and abrade the finish.
The procedure involves installation of a new repair kit consisting of:
- 6 pieces of self-adhesive rubberized material to act as protectors (insulators) between the scoop and hood panel
- additional 6mm X 6mm X 1000mm piece of self-adhesive EPDM foam insulation.
Production Change Information:
Hood Grille (scoop) p.n. 90829VA002NN (which includes the additional protectors and EPDM foam insulation) was incorporated into production starting with VIN: G8828493.
|90829VA000||PROTECTOR HOOD REPAIR KIT|
NOTE: Replacement hood grille, p.n. 90821VA002NN is shipped unpainted and includes all the 90829VA000 repair kit components already installed.
Service Procedure / Information:
- CAREFULLY remove the hood grille (scoop) from the hood panel following the procedure in the applicable Service Manual.
- Repair any abraded paint on the hood using touch-up paint. If the damage is too severe for the use of touch-up paint, a body shop spot repair may be necessary. If repairs will exceed $500.00, an Authorization Request Entry must be completed and submitted to Techline before proceeding.
- Scoop Repair / Replacement Guidelines:
- If the VIN is before F*820081, replace the scoop with the new part number 90821VA002 (finishing to match the body color will be required).
- If the the VIN is between F*820082 and G*828492, order and install the 90829VA000 repair kit starting with Step 4 A close inspection of the underside perimeter will show molded-in outlines to identify where the repair kit components are to be applied. (The outlines also identify the scoop as p.n. 90821VA001.)
NOTE: This repair kit is for application to the p.n. 90821VA001 scoop used on vehicles with VINs between F*820082 and G*828492 only.
- Using the illustrations below as a guide, clean the areas where the protectors and EPDM foam will be applied with a mild solvent on a clean shop cloth and dry completely. The illustrations and photos below show how the completed installation should appear.
- Peel the adhesive backing and apply the 6 protectors to the scoop first.
- The piece of EPDM foam tape in the repair kit is 1000 mm long. Locate its center point and put a mark on the adhesive backing. Align the center mark with the white scoop retaining clip as shown below.
- CAREFULLY peel the backing and working SLOWLY outward from the center point, start to apply the EPDM foam INSIDE the molded lip along the back edge of the scoop. While being careful not to stretch the foam while applying it, work the foam around the previously installed protectors as shown in the photos below.
- When properly installed, the ends of the EPDM foam tape should appear as shown at the rear corners of the scoop, approximately 1” past the edge of the protector (right side shown below).
- Reinstall the scoop and related components back into the hood in reverse order of removal. Torque the four 8mm retaining nuts and two hex bolts to 39 inch-pounds.
Warranty / Claim Information:
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, this repair may be claimed using the following information:
|HOOD GRILLE (SCOOP) R&R, INSPECT & REPLACE||B915-195||XIW-48||0.4|
|INSTALL HOOD GRILLE (SCOOP) REPAIR KIT||C915-193||0.2|
|HOOD GRILLE(SCOOP) REPLACE W/ REFINISH||C915-194||0.9|
|HOOD PAINT TOUCH-UP||C915-191||0.2|
|HOOD COLOR COAT||C915-192||2.0|
|SUBLET REPAIR, ADMINISTRATION EXPENSES||C101-108||0.3|
NOTE: Up to $12.00 can be claimed in Sublet to cover the cost for touch-up paint.
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.