2023MY Crosstrek Hybrid Owner’s Manual
Table of contents
|Seat, seatbelt and SRS airbags||1|
|Keys and doors||2|
|Instruments and controls||3|
|Starting and operating||7|
|In case of emergency||9|
|Maintenance and service||11|
|Consumer information and Reporting safety defects||13|
2023MY Crosstrek Hybrid Owner’s Manual
- 🔧【PLUG AND PLAY - EASY TO USE】 : It only takes 3 steps to connect to the car for diagnosis without cumbersome operations. The latest FX2000 is equipped with a one-key diagnosis function, which can automatically identify the model and year of your car, and automatically diagnose the car. Even beginners can use it to read the data to find out what the fault codes mean, how serious the fault is and what options there are to fix it before you go to the repair shop.
- 🚗【FULL OBD-LEVEL DIAGNOSTICS】: Quickly determines the cause of engine system faults, reads current, permanent and pending codes. After the repair, clears the codes and turns off the warning light. In addition, the FX2000 also displays important OBD II advanced data such as fuel, live data and other manufacturer-specific parameters in real time to ensure that the engine ECU is operating correctly and safely, saving vehicle owners a lot of time and money in maintenance.
- 🚙【TRANSMISSION FAULT DIAGNOSTIC】: When noises start to come from the transmission, your car might have transmission problems. This transmission scanner will read fault codes, display live transmission system data (fluid temperature, fluid pump, clutch actuation, pressure, etc.), and ensures transmission performance is optimal for vehicle speed and load. It provides detailed TCM data of the vehicle, so you can quickly and accurately find existing or potential problems.
- 🚐【FIND OUT SRS WRONG】: It is able to read and clear fault codes in the SRS (airbag) and turn off the warning light to make sure the system is working correctly and safely. This diagnostic tool also displays a live graphical data stream of the supplemental restraint system (air bag), which allows you to analyze and verify that the air bag system is working properly.
- 🚌【ABS OBD2 SCANNER】:The FX2000 can read and clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) data stream transmitted from the ABS. It can verify the operating conditions of the ABS through a series of bi-directional tests and turn off the warning light. By retrieving the ABS code data, it can check the various brake components and accurately diagnose problems.
- 【ABS & SRS Diagnoses + Active Test for ABS SRS】LAUNCH CR629 scan tool can do advanced Bidirectional Control (active test), read vehicle version information, read/clear DTCs, and read graphic live data stream for ABS SRS modules. Utilizing the active test can detect the hidden problems when you see the related warning light of ABS SRS systems. 📌NOTE: This launch obd2 scanner currently supports ACTIVE TEST for 20 car brands. Please contact us to check the compatibility before purchase.
- 【3 Reset Services】This automotive scanner LAUNCH CR629 provides 3 reset services: Oil reset, SAS reset and BMS Reset, helping to keep your car running smoothly. ➤Oil Reset: To reset the oil life each time you have the oil and oil filter changed. ➤SAS Reset: To perform a calibration of the steering angle sensor following a wheel alignment or installation of a suspension or steering part. ➤BMS Reset. 📌Please contact us to check the vehicle compatibility for reset services before purchase.
- 【OBD2 Full Functions + Support 10000+ Vehicle】 Come with 10 modes of OBD2 tests (including Read/Clear codes, View Freeze Frame Data, O2 Sensor Test, Evap Test, etc.), LAUNCH CR629 obd2 scanner tells you the exact problem behind the check engine warning light, solve emission issues, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles. This ABS SRS scan tool supports ABS & SRS diagnoses for 42 car brands. 22 Car brands for BMS reset, 53 brands for oil reset, and 41 brands for SAS reset.
- 【User-friendly + Live Data Stream】 LAUNCH CR629 car code reader is specially designed with the following features ➤3.5 inch large LCD color display. ➤3 hot keys（F1/F2/F3）to access to the target interface directly with ONE CLICK. ➤DTC Lookup to identify a code’s meaning directly. No google research needed! ➤PC Printing to print the information out after PC connection. ➤Review data records historical DTCs, data streams and freeze frame data, which is convenient to view at any time.
- 【5 Years Warranty + Lifetime Free Update+ 8 Languages】 This original Launch OBD2 scanner CR629 is backed up by Launch official after-sale services with 5-year warranty, available 60-days return & replacement policy. This car code scanner supports English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Italian. If you have any problem, you can contact us freely via customer service email or message us on Amazon.
- 🎁【Free TPMS Activation Tool】: Just click "Extra Savings" under price and add both to your cart to get a FREE TPMS Activation Tool which works for GM cars. Limited quantity. First come, First served. 👍We are proud to tell that LAUNCH CRP129E has been recommended as the "Best Overall OBD2 scanner" by Amazon editors, and also highly recommended by YouTube machinists. Lifetime Free WiFi Upgrade. 5 Years Warranty. Any problem, please reach us via 📩 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 🔥【2023 Elite Version, Add More Functions,No Extra Software Fee】Update version of CRP123/CRP123E, LAUNCH CRP129E obd2 scanner with 4 systems diagnostic, 8 reset service, fast android 7.0 OS, 5”HD 720P touchscreen, 16G RAM, 6100mAh battery, battery voltage test,Auto VIN, full obd2 functions,DTC library,live data graphing, record & playback, and automatic generate diagnostic health report, printable via email shareing. One-Click WiFi Update makes you can use the newest software all time for free.
- 👍【4 Systems Diagnostic Tool】+【Full OBDII Functions】With this scanner automotriz, even beginners can use it to read the fault codes of Engine/ABS/Airbag/Transmission, find the right troubleshooting procedure. After repairing, it can even clear the fault code and turn off the annoying warning light. Diagnose with full 10 OBD2 test modes to fix most of emission issues, keep your engine in good condition and avoid being fined before the annual car inspection.
- 👍【8 Reset Service Car Scanner】+【Battery Voltage Test】📢From Oct. 2022, LAUNCH CRP129E scan tool added 3 service. 8 Reset service: Oil Reset,TPMS Reset,Brake Reset,Throttle Adaptation,Steering Angle Calibration,Injector Coding, Battery Registration to maintain your vehicle system safely and efficiently. Graphing the battery voltage to real-time monitoring, determine battery's health status, help you know the possible battery and the charging system problems in advance.
- 📢【Lifetime Free WiFi Updates + Work on 57 Vehicle Brands + 10 Languages Supported】LAUNCH CRP129E diagnostic scan tool works on most vehicles after 1996 compliant with OBD2 protocols, more than 57 brands and over 10000+ vehicle models. 10 Languages supported: English, French, Spanish, German, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, Italian, Traditional Chinese, Russian. No IP Limited. One-click lifetime free wifi update keep you always enjoy the newest software and newly added functions.
- 【Full Systems fit for Ford Lincoln】 This OBD2 scanner fit for ford is capable of reading and clearing trouble codes on all available systems, including Engine, ABS, SRS, Transmission, HVAC, 4WD and MORE! It is a professional diagnostic scan tool specifically designed fit for Ford Group vehicle owners and repair shop.
- 【Multiple Special Functions】 Ancel FD500 code reader fit for ford contains main special Function fit for Ford Group Vehicles, including Throttle (KAM) and Oil Reset, Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Maintenance Mode, Battery Registration. (It can help you register a new replaced battery witch have the same parameters, such as original battery, same type plus same or big capacity battery as original.)
- 【OBD2 Functions fit For All Vehicles】This scan tool fit for ford include read and erase codes, I/M Readiness, read data stream, battery volts test, and vehicle information for all cars that have obd2 16 pin socket.
- 【Great Compatibility fit for Ford】Compatible with most Ford Group vehicles (ford, Lincoln, Mercury) after 1996. Include Edge, Ecosport, Ecort, F-150, F-250,F-350, F-650, F-750,MKC,Blackwood, Zephyr, MKZ, Montego, Milan, Cougar.If you are not sure whether it can work on your car, just feel free to contact us. : )
- 【Life-Time Free Update】With FD500 obd2 scanner fit for ford, you can enjoy 1 year warranty and Life-Time Free software upgrade, ANCEL Team Tech-Support, replacement support, full refund support, Welcome contacting us via Message no matter before sale and after sale. At the same time, it is also the perfect Gift for your family and friends.
- 🎁【The Best Gift Choice for Dad!】From 1 June to 18 June, buy FOXWELL NT604 Elite, get a special o-ffer! You will get a free OBDII 16 PIN Diagnostic Extension Cable(39 inch). just click "Extra Saving" under price and add both to your cart. It comes with free protective case with rugged and handy design.Get NT604 Elite car code reader and give your Dad a surprise! 🥇NT604 Elite car scanner will be the best safeguard for your trip.
- 🔔【Easy to Use--Work out of box】+【FOXWELL 2023 New Version】 FOXWELL NT604 Elite scan tool is the 2023 new version from FOXWELL, which is designed for those car owners who want to figure out the cause issue before fixing the car problem via scanning the most common systems like abs srs engine and transmission.The NT604 Elite diagnostic tool comes with latest software, which can be used out of box. No need to waste time to download the software first.
- 🍎【Affordable】+【Reliable Car Health Monitor】 Will you be confused what happen when the warning light of abs/srs/transmission/check engine flashes? Instead of taking your cars to dealership, this foxwell scanner will help you do a thorough scanning and detection for your lovely cars and pinpoint the problem for you, which saves time and money for you. It will t-urn off the warning light for you after you fix the problem, making you to know more about your cars and do your own repair.
- 🥑【5 in 1 Diagnostic Scanner】Compared with those auto scanners (50-100 USD), NT604 Elite code scanner not only includes their OBDII diagnosis but also it can be an abs/srs scanner, transmission and check engine code reader. When it’s an odb2 scanner, you can use it to check if your car is ready for annual test through I/M readiness menu. In addition, live data stream, built-in DTC library, data play back and print, all these features are a big plus for it.
- 🍓【Fantastic AUTOVIN】+【No extra software fee】Through the AUTOVIN menu, this NT604 Elite car scanner allows you to get your V-IN and vehicle info rapidly, no need to take time to find your V-IN and input one by one. What's more, the NT604 Elite abs srs scanner supports 60+ car makes from worldwide (America/Asia/Europe). You don’t need to pay extra software fee.
- [ABS & SRS Scanner with Active Test] The ABS/ SRS diagnostic tool Read & clear DTCs, displays live data in a graph to locate the cause of faults and assists the home mechanic with repairs and clearing ABS and airbag warning lights. Active test sensors, valves or solenoids etc. and tracks any threats in real time. It is invaluable to have a diagnostic tool with Active Test feature that you will never find on similar ABS/ SRS scanners.
- 【3 HOP Reset Services 】Easy to set up 3 regular reset services for Oil Light, Battery Management System, and Steering Angle Position. With this obd2 scanner, you can reset the oil service light and reset pre-programmed mileage intervals for energy efficiency; adjust or reset the steering angle position to keep steering aligned; and clear the original low battery fault information. No need to leave home for shop-quality car maintenance.
- 【All OBD2 Test Modes 】 This ABS & SRS scan tool is also a full featured obd2 code reader, allowing a quick test of the engine system of OBD II vehicles, can Read/Clear engine light codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame, Retrieving I/M Readiness Status, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test, Evap Test, Read Vehicle Information, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles.
- [DTC LookUp Library] Can't read the code? Go to the DTC LookUp Library. The Topdon AL600 OBD2 scanner offers a wealth of code definitions so you don't have to look them up in a list or database, and the HELP function takes you to diagnostic tips for possible fixes, saving time searching for repair materials online. No other scan tool or code reader under $100 offers this level of assistance.
- [User-Oriented] You'll love the feel of this automotive scanner, with black rubber grips all around the outer edges for durability and to withstand accidental drops. With its easy access menu, you can operate all functions in minutes with just a few button presses. The 3-color LEDs give you a intuitive indication of the OBD2 test results in a second. 3 shortcut keys, one key to read/clear DTCs and a one-touch smoke status check make it easy to use even for beginners.
- 🎁 Conact Seller to Get Free Gift 🎁 Same Function as LAUNCH CRP123E 🎁 Fast Delivery by Amazon🎁 Lifetime Free Update🎁 5 YEARS Warranty
- [Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Tool]----The crp123 obd2 scanner is perfect balance of power and affordability, providing the ability to view preset, or user defined, live data streams for ENGINE, AT, ABS and SRS data, the ability to graph, record, replay and print data, read and resets codes for engine/abs/srs/transmission system.
- [Full OBDII Test Code Reader]----LAUNCH CRP123 scan tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII standard to ensure complete, accurate, system diagnosis. Read and Clear DTCs, do smog tests , I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, Mode 06 EVAP system test, Mode 08 on-board test component test. And OBDII Code lookup tool and acronym database to assist and speed diagnosis and repair time.
- [Live Data Stream + Advance OBDII Scanner + Lifetime Free Update]---- Launch crp123 scanner support for Generic OBDII Codes (P0, P2, P3 and U0); manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3 and U1); pending codes; freeze frame data; monitor and I/M readiness; live PCM stream data; graphing functionality for up to four (4) live data streams; clears DTC codes and turns off the MIL; resets monitors; provides Data Link Connector (DLC) location hints.
- [Extensive Vehicle Coverage + 9 Languages]----The LAUNCH CRP123 reads data from ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ABS and SRS systems from Asian, US and European manufacturers. Coverage includes Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Isuzu, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Benz, BMW, VW, Opel, Volvo, Fiat, Land Rover, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar and many others. Support 9 different languages.
- 🎁🎁🎁 WONDERFUL FATHERS DAY GIFTS CHOICE!!! 2023 NEW RELEASED: Update the scanner via FoxAssist to get the OIL light reset & EPB reset function. 🚩Note: Coverage is vary on different car conditions, confirm before purchase.
- 🥇【NO.1 ABS BLEEDING SCAN TOOL】👉Note: Coverage will be vary on car conditions, to make sure this abs auto bleeder will run smoothly,please confirm the coverage BEFORE purchase. Did you feel the brake pedal was slowly sinking to floor or the pedal was loose than the new vehicle? This abs brake auto bleed scan tool will bleed the brake, cycling the pump and valves to get a high & tight brake pedal. No need to cost hundreds of service fees to own a foxwell obd2 scanner with abs auto bleed.
- 🏆【TOP ABS SRS OBD2 SCANNER for CAR】1️⃣ABS SRS Airbag Scan Tool: Emergency code diagnosis for ABS SRS Airbag modules;2️⃣ABS Airbag Light & Sensor Reset Tool: Reset & sensor calibrate after repairing the faults;3️⃣Bidirectional Scan Tool: Activate & command ABS/SRS/Airbag components;4️⃣Powerful OBD2 Scanner: Covers all obd2 functions for 12v vehicles after 1996. 👉TIPS: The abs scanner can NOT clear airbag crash data/collision data even replace the new airbag. NOT support programming/coding.
- 🚦【POWERFUL FUNCTION for ABS SRS AIRBAG】 No auto scanner less than $400 in the market can do these. If you feel headache on choosing abs srs scan tool with code read & depth functions, do not miss this abs scanner airbag code reader. This car scanner will pin-point the problem down and tell you what the possible issues, no need to test one by one.It also initialize/reset/calibrate the new sensor/module after repairing.Tips: Code erase/delete/reset will perform after car faults repaired.
- 👍【Cost Less than $150 to Own a ABS SRS BIDIRECTIONAL SCAN TOOL】It’s so valuable to own one with active test feature that never find on similar abs scanner. This abs code reader scan tool allows you to control the ABS/Airbag system and components to test hidden car faults. When you exit the test, the system/components return to normal operation. 📣Warm tips: Only ABS/SRS modules is supported. If you need bi-directional test for other modules, please choose NT809 or higher version.
- 【Check Engine Light】The 6100P obd2 scanner shows fault codes with DTC Severity and quickly reveals the cause of "Check Engine" light warnings(MIL). One-press hot key help to check engine issue. Live data displays plenty of vehicle data present, such as engine coolant temperature, fuel injector pulse width(fuel trim), RPM, spark timing, etc.
- 【ABS & SRS & Transmission 】In addition to related OBD II codes,The abs srs obd2 scanner works well on reading/erasing ABS & SRS and Transmission codes for popular US Car Makes such as Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GM, etc. when the Traction light is constantly on. The ability to really detect where the problem is concerning brakes and airbags enables you to make sure all safety measures in place before putting yourself in harm's way.
- 【Oil Light Reset+Oil Level/Oil Life status】it easy to view the procedures or send command for resetting oil maintenance or resetting the mileage or driving time to zero after the maintenance for most 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles. This abs code reader can also monitor your oil level and oil life status.
- 【Battery Test & Alternator Test】The Innova code reader can be used to check the performance of the battery or alternator for your hybrid, car, SUV, minivan, or light truck diesel as well. During rough winters and scorching summers, this diagnostic tool will be invaluable when trying to root out start-up issues.
- 【Code Severity Levels】With Code Severity Levels function of This Innova Scan Tool, you can quickly identify if your vehicle needs an immediate fix or if it can wait until you get home to fix it yourself,You don't need to worry about the warning lights on again. And we are glad to tell that Innova 6100P has been selected to "Amazon's Highly recommended products" as "Highly rated OBDII Scanners" 🙂
- 🚙【2023 Upgraded Version of AL319/ AL519/ ML519/ ML619】Autel develops the brand-new AutoLink AL619 as the advanced ver. of Autel AL519, ML519, AL319, MS309. This Auel AL619 OBD2 scanner can scan ABS & SRS modules and supports Full 10 Modes of OBDII Functions with Enhanced Mode 6 on Worldwide Vehicles to read/ erase codes and turn off the MIL, reset ABS, SRS warning lights so that you can better maintain your car when related malfunctions occur and get your vehicle ready for the annual test.
- 🚙【Accurate ABS/SRS Diagnostic】If you accidentally trigger an ABS light or airbag light, AL619 can tell you what is making them on. AL619 scan tool can perform ABS/SRS diagnostic to get ABS/SRS codes to quickly locate the problem areas, replace bad parts or make repairs, clear the codes and turn off the warning lights. NOTE: ABS SRS Scan does NOT work on vehicles after 2015, and functions are not universal. Please send VIN number to 🚘auteldirect @ outlook. com🚘 to check compatibility.
- 🚙【Full OBD2 Functions & Numerous DTC Lookup】Only a scanner equipped with full OBD2 capability will help you most effectively! AL619 scanner can perform ALL 10 modes of OBD2 tests on vehicles to check emission-related conditions, including: read code, clear code, view live data, freeze frame data, vehicle info, check I/M readiness status, O2 monitor test, on-board monitor test, EVAP leak test, modules present. Built-in DTC Library can directly search DTC meaning, no need to google or guess it.
- 🚙【Accurate Read & Clear DTCs】Getting diagnostic codes(DTCs) is necessary before repairs if you don't want to be ripped off. AL619 can read codes and clear codes, helping you save trouble:1)before repairs, locate issues and decide whether to fix them yourself or go to a mechanic; 2)after repairs, make sure the issues have been fixed; 3) clear occasional fault codes, turn off CEL or MIL, and get car back to normal.
- 🚙【Turn Off CEL & Smog Check】The Check Engine Light is always annoying you, most of the time because of a little thing like a loose gas cap, isn't it? With AL619 scan tool, you can read code to quickly find out why the check engine light is on and reset it. Don’t waste money on a failed smog test! AL619 can retrieve I/M Readiness status to make sure OBD2 monitors on your car are “Ready”, monitors like misfire, fuel, catalyst, O2 sensors, EVAP, etc, to help you pass the annual smog check.
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
S11 11-1. Maintenance schedule 421 11-2. Maintenance precautions . 421 Before checking or servicing in the engine compartment 422 When checking or servicing in the engine compartment 422 When checking or servicing in the engine compartment while the engine is running 423 11-3. Engine hood 423 11-4. Engine compartment overview 425 11-5. Engine oil. 426 Engine oil consumption 426 Locations of the oil level gauge, oil filler cap and oil filter 426 Checking the oil level . 426 Changing the oil and oil filter 427 Recommended grade and viscosity. 428 Synthetic oil . 428 11-6. Cooling system . 428 Safety precautions 428 Cooling fan, hose and connections . 429 Engine coolant . 429 Inverter with converter assembly coolant 430 11-7. Air cleaner element. 431 Replacing the air cleaner element . 432 11-8. Spark plugs . 433 Recommended spark plugs. 433 11-9. Drive belt . 433 11-10. Continuously variable transmission fluid 433 11-11. Front differential gear oil and rear differential gear oil434 Recommended grade and viscosity 434 11-12. Brake fluid434 Checking the fluid level 434 Recommended brake fluid 435 11-13. Brake pedal 435 11-14. Replacement of brake pad435 Breaking-in of new brake pads . 436 11-15. Tires and wheels436 Types of tires . 436 Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) (U.S.-spec. models) 436 Tire inspection . 438 Tire pressures and wear. 438 Wheel balance 440 Wear indicators 441 Rotational direction of tires 441 Tire rotation . 441 Tire replacement 442 Wheel replacement. 442 11-16. Alloy wheels.446 11-17. Windshield washer fluid446 Adding the windshield washer fluid 447 Windshield washer fluid . 447 11-18. Replacement of wiper blades .448 Windshield wiper blade assembly. 448 Windshield wiper blade rubber . 450 Rear window wiper blade assembly 451 Rear window wiper blade rubber 452 Maintenance and service 11 Maintenance and service 11-19. 12 V battery . 453 11-20. Fuses . 454 11-21. Installation of accessories . 456 11-22. Replacing bulbs 456 Headlights 456 Front turn signal light . 456 Parking light. 456 Front fog light 457 Rear combination lights 457 Backup light. 458 License plate light 459 Map light 459 Vanity mirror light 460 Dome light and cargo area light 460 Other bulbs 460 Adjusting headlight aim . 460 11-23. Replacing key battery .462 Safety precautions . 462 Replacing battery of access key fob . 462 Maintenance and service 11-1. Maintenance schedule S11AA U.S. models The scheduled maintenance items required to be serviced at regular intervals are shown in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. For details, read the separate “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. Canada models The scheduled maintenance items required to be serviced at regular intervals are shown in the “Warranty and Service Booklet”. For details, read the separate “Warranty and Service Booklet”. NOTE You can set a reminder to be displayed when a scheduled maintenance item is almost due. For details, refer to “Maintenance settings” P239. 11-2. Maintenance precautions S11AB When maintenance and service are required, it is recommended that all work be done by an authorized SUBARU dealer. If you perform maintenance and service by yourself, you should familiarize yourself with the information provided in this section on general maintenance and service for your SUBARU. Incorrect or incomplete service could cause improper or unsafe vehicle operation. Any problems caused by improper maintenance and service performed by you are not eligible for warranty coverage. WARNING . Always select a safe area when performing maintenance on your vehicle. . Always be very careful to avoid injury when working on the vehicle. Remember that some of the materials in the vehicle may be hazardous if improperly used or handled, for example, battery acid. . Your vehicle should only be serviced by persons fully competent to do so. Serious personal injury may result to persons not experienced in servicing vehicles. . Always use the proper tools and make certain that they are well maintained. . Never get under the vehicle supported only by a jack. Always use safety stands to support the vehicle. . Never keep the hybrid system running in a poorly ventilated area, such as a garage or other closed areas. . Do not smoke or allow open flames around the fuel or battery. This will cause a fire. . Because the fuel system is under pressure, replacement of the fuel filter should be performed only by your SUBARU dealer. . Wear adequate eye protection to guard against getting oil or fluids in your eyes. If something does get in your eyes, thoroughly wash them out with clean water. . Do not tamper with the wiring of the SRS airbag system or seat- – CONTINUED – Maintenance schedule 421 Maintenance and service belt pretensioner system, or attempt to take its connectors apart, as that may activate the system or it can render it inoperative. NEVER use a circuit tester for this wiring. If your SRS airbag or seatbelt pretensioner needs service, consult your nearest SUBARU dealer. . Check the inside of the engine compartment to see if there are any cloths and tools left. If they are left inside, they may be a cause of malfunction and fire. NOTE SUBARU does not endorse the use of non-SUBARU approved flushing systems and strongly advises against performing these services on a SUBARU vehicle. Non-SUBARU approved flushing systems use chemicals and/or solvents which have not been tested or approved by SUBARU. SUBARU warranties do not cover any part of the vehicle which is damaged by adding or applying chemicals and/or solvents other than those approved or recommended by SUBARU. & Before checking or servicing in the engine compartment S11AB01 WARNING . Always stop the engine and apply the parking brake firmly to prevent the vehicle from moving. . Always let the engine cool down. Engine parts become very hot when the engine is running and remain hot for some time after the engine has stopped. . Do not spill engine oil, engine coolant, brake fluid or any other fluid on hot engine components. This may cause a fire. . When the ignition switch is in the “ON” position, the cooling fan may operate suddenly even when the hybrid system is stopped. If your body or clothes come into contact with a rotating fan, that could result in serious injury. To avoid risk of injury, always turn the push-button ignition switch to the “OFF” position and confirm that the operation indicator on the switch is turned off. Then take the access key fob out from the vehicle. & When checking or servicing in the engine compartment S11AB03 CAUTION . Do not contact the engine cover while checking the components in the engine compartment. Doing so may cause your hand to slip off the cover and result in an unexpected injury. 422 Maintenance precautions . Do not touch the oil filter until the engine has cooled down completely. Doing so may result in a burn or other injury. Note that the oil filter becomes very hot when the engine is running and remains hot for some time after the engine has stopped. & When checking or servicing in the engine compartment while the engine is running S11AB02 WARNING A running engine can be dangerous. Keep your fingers, hands, clothing, hair and tools away from the cooling fan, drive belt and any other moving engine parts. Removing rings, watches and ties is advisable. 11-3. Engine hood S11AC CAUTION . Be extremely careful not to catch fingers or other objects when closing the engine hood. . Do not push the hood forcibly to close it. It could deform the metal. . Be extremely careful opening the engine hood when the wind is strong. The engine hood could close suddenly, possibly causing injuries from slamming. . Do not install accessories other than genuine SUBARU parts to the engine hood. If the engine hood becomes too heavy, the stay may not be able to support holding it open. . Check that the end of the hood stay is inserted into the slot. If it is not inserted properly, the hood may drop and cause injury. To open the hood: 1. If the wiper blades are lifted off the windshield, return them to their original position. 2. Pull the hood release knob under the instrument panel. 3. Release the secondary hood release by moving the lever between the front grille and the hood toward the left. – CONTINUED – Engine hood 423 Maintenance and service 1) Grip 4. Lift up the hood, release the hood prop from its retainer and put the end of the hood prop into the slot in the hood. Hold the grip for handling the hood prop. To close the hood: 1. Lift the hood slightly and remove the hood prop from the slot in the hood and return the prop to its retainer. 2. Lower the hood to a height of approximately 7.8 to 11.8 in (20 to 30 cm) above its closed position and then let it drop. 3. After closing the hood, be sure the hood is securely locked. If this does not close the hood, release it from a slightly higher position. WARNING Always check that the hood is properly locked before you start driving. If it is not, it might fly open while the vehicle is moving and block your view, which may cause an accident and serious bodily injury. 424 Engine hood 11-4. Engine compartment overview S11AD 1) Brake fluid reservoir (page 434) 2) Fuse box (page 454) 3) 12 V battery (page 453) 4) Windshield washer tank (page 446) 5) Radiator cap for engine (page 429) 6) Engine oil filler cap (page 426) 7) Engine coolant reservoir (page 429) 8) Engine oil filter (page 427) 9) Radiator cap for inverter with converter assembly (page 430) 10) Engine oil level gauge (page 426) 11) Air cleaner case (page 431) Engine compartment overview 425 Maintenance and service 11-5. Engine oil S11AE CAUTION . If the level gauge cannot be pulled out easily, twist the level gauge right and left, then gently pull it out. Otherwise, you may be injured accidentally straining yourself. . Use only engine oil with the recommended grade and viscosity. . Be careful not to spill engine oil when adding it. If oil touches the exhaust pipe, it may cause a bad smell, smoke, and/or a fire. If engine oil gets on the exhaust pipe, be sure to wipe it off. & Engine oil consumption S11AE07 Some engine oil will be consumed while driving. The rate of consumption can be affected by such factors as transmission type, driving style, terrain and temperature. Under the following conditions, oil consumption can be increased and thus require refilling between maintenance intervals: . The engine is new and within the breakin period. . The engine oil is of lower quality. . The incorrect oil viscosity is used. . Engine braking is employed (repeatedly). . The engine is operated at high engine speeds (for extended periods of time). . The engine is operated under heavy loads (for extended periods of time). . A trailer is being towed. . The engine idles for extended periods of time. . The vehicle is operated in stop and go and/or heavy traffic situations. . The vehicle is used under severe thermal conditions. . The vehicle accelerates and decelerates frequently. Under these or similar conditions, you should check your oil at least every 2nd fuel fill-up and change your engine oil more frequently. Different drivers in the same car may experience different results. If your oil consumption rate is greater than expected, contact your authorized SUBARU dealer who may perform a test under controlled conditions. & Locations of the oil level gauge, oil filler cap and oil filter S11AE06 1) Oil level gauge 2) Oil filler cap 3) Oil filter & Checking the oil level S11AE01 1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position. If you check the oil level just after turning the ignition switch to the “OFF” position, wait for at least 5 minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan before checking the level. 426 Engine oil CAUTION If the level gauge cannot be pulled out easily, twist the level gauge right and left, then gently pull it out. Otherwise, you may be injured accidentally straining yourself. 2. Pull out the level gauge, wipe it clean, and insert it again. 3. Be sure the level gauge is correctly inserted until it stops. 1) Full level 2) Low level 3) Approximately 1.1 US qt (1.0 liters, 0.9 Imp qt) from low level to full level 4. Pull out the oil level gauge again. 5. Check the oil levels on both sides of the level gauge. The engine oil level must be judged by the lowest of the two levels. If the oil level is below the low level mark, add oil so that the full level is reached. CAUTION . Be careful not to touch the engine oil filter when removing the oil filler cap. Doing so may result in a burn, a pinched finger, or may cause some other injury. . Use only engine oil with the recommended grade and viscosity. . Be careful not to spill engine oil when adding it. If oil touches the exhaust pipe, it may cause a bad smell, smoke, and/or a fire. If engine oil gets on the exhaust pipe, be sure to wipe it off. To add engine oil, remove the engine oil filler cap and slowly pour engine oil through the filler neck. After pouring oil into the engine, you must use the level gauge to confirm that the oil level is correct. NOTE To prevent overfilling the engine oil, do not add any additional oil above the upper level when the engine is cold. & Changing the oil and oil filter S11AE02 Change the oil and oil filter according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. The engine oil and oil filter must be changed more frequently than listed in the maintenance schedule when driving on dusty roads, when short trips are frequently made, or when driving in extremely cold weather. NOTE . Changing the engine oil and oil filter should be performed by a well-trained expert. Contact your SUBARU dealer for changing the engine oil and oil filter. Fully trained mechanics are on standby at a SUBARU dealer to utilize the special tools, spare parts and recommended oil for this work, and also, used oils are properly disposed of. . If performing oil replacement yourself, observe the local regulations and dispose of waste oil properly. – CONTINUED – Engine oil 427 Maintenance and service & Recommended grade and viscosity S11AE03 CAUTION Use only engine oil with the recommended grade and viscosity. Refer to “Engine oil” P467. NOTE Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine. & Synthetic oil S11AE05 You should use synthetic engine oil that meets the same requirements given for conventional engine oil. When using synthetic oil, you must use oil of the same classification, viscosity and grade shown in this Owner’s Manual. Refer to “Engine oil” P467. Also, you must follow the oil and filter changing intervals shown in the “Warranty and Maintenance booklet”. NOTE Synthetic oil of the grade and viscosity noted in chapter 12 is the recommended engine oil for optimum engine performance. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable. 11-6. Cooling system S11AF & Safety precautions S11AF04 WARNING Never remove the radiator cap until the hybrid system has been shut off and has cooled down completely. Since the coolant is under pressure, you may suffer serious burns from a spray of boiling hot coolant when the cap is removed. CAUTION . Vehicles are filled at the factory with SUBARU SUPER COOLANT that does not require the first change for 11 years/137,500 miles (11 years/220,000 km). This coolant should not be mixed with any other brand or type of coolant during this period. Mixing with a different coolant will reduce the life of the coolant. When necessary to top up the coolant for any reason, use only SUBARU SUPER COOLANT. If the SUBARU SUPER COOLANT is diluted with another brand or 428 Cooling system type, the maintenance interval is shortened to that of the mixing coolant. . Do not splash the engine coolant over painted parts. The alcohol contained in the engine coolant may damage the paint surface. & Cooling fan, hose and connections S11AF03 Your vehicle employs an electric cooling fan which is thermostatically controlled to operate when the engine coolant reaches a specific temperature. If the radiator cooling fan does not operate even when the coolant temperature high warning light blinks or illuminates in RED, the cooling fan circuit may be defective. Refer to “Coolant temperature high warning light” P198. Check the fuse and replace it if necessary. Refer to “Fuses” P454. If the fuse is not blown, have the cooling system checked by your SUBARU dealer. If the frequent addition of coolant is necessary between vehicle service visits, it is recommended that you have your vehicle inspected by an authorized SUBARU dealer to check for leaks, damage, or looseness. & Engine coolant S11AF02 ! Checking the coolant level S11AF0201 WARNING Never remove the radiator cap until the hybrid system has been shut off and has cooled down completely. Since the coolant is under pressure, you may suffer serious burns from a spray of boiling hot coolant when the cap is removed. 1) “FULL” level mark 2) “LOW” level mark Check the coolant level at each fuel stop. 1. Check the coolant level on the outside of the reservoir while the engine is cool. 2. If the level is close to or lower than the “LOW” level mark, add coolant up to the “FULL” level mark. If the reserve tank is empty, remove the radiator cap and refill coolant up to just below the filler neck as shown in the following illustration. 1) Fill up to this level – CONTINUED – Cooling system 429 Maintenance and service 3. After refilling the reserve tank and the radiator, reinstall the cap and check that the rubber gaskets inside the radiator cap are in the proper position. CAUTION . Be careful not to spill engine coolant when adding it. If coolant touches the exhaust pipe, it may cause a bad smell, smoke, and/or a fire. If engine coolant gets on the exhaust pipe, be sure to wipe it off. . Do not splash the engine coolant over painted parts. The alcohol contained in the engine coolant may damage the paint surface. ! Changing the coolant S11AF0202 It may be difficult to change the coolant. Have the coolant changed by your SUBARU dealer if necessary. The coolant should be changed according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. & Inverter with converter assembly coolant S11AF05 ! Checking the coolant level S11AF0501 WARNING Never remove the radiator cap until the hybrid system has been shut off and has cooled down completely. Since the coolant is under pressure, you may suffer serious burns from a spray of boiling hot coolant when the cap is removed. 1) “FULL” level mark 2) “LOW” level mark 1. Check the coolant level on the outside of the reservoir while the engine is cool. 1) “FULL” level mark 2) “LOW” level mark 430 Cooling system 2. If the level is close to or lower than the “LOW” level mark, remove the radiator cap and add coolant up to the “FULL” level mark. 3. After refilling the reserve tank and the radiator, reinstall the cap and check that the rubber gaskets inside the radiator cap are in the proper position. CAUTION . Be careful not to spill inverter with converter assembly coolant when adding it. If coolant touches the exhaust pipe, it may cause a bad smell, smoke, and/or a fire. If inverter with converter assembly coolant gets on the exhaust pipe, be sure to wipe it off. . Do not splash the inverter with converter assembly coolant over painted parts. The alcohol contained in the inverter with converter assembly coolant may damage the paint surface. ! Changing the coolant S11AF0502 It may be difficult to change the coolant. Have the coolant changed by your SUBARU dealer if necessary. The coolant should be changed according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. 11-7. Air cleaner element S11AG WARNING Do not operate the engine with the air cleaner element removed. The air cleaner element not only filters intake air but also stops flames if the engine backfires. If the air cleaner element is not installed when the engine backfires, you could be burned. CAUTION When replacing the air cleaner element, use a genuine SUBARU air cleaner element. If it is not used, there is the possibility of causing a negative effect to the engine. The air cleaner element functions as a filter screen. When the element is perforated or removed, engine wear will be excessive and engine life shortened. It is not necessary to clean or wash the air cleaner element. – CONTINUED – Air cleaner element 431 Maintenance and service & Replacing the air cleaner element S11AG01 Replace the air cleaner element according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. Under extremely dusty conditions, replace it more frequently. It is recommended that you always use genuine SUBARU parts. 1) Clips 1. Unsnap the two clips holding the air cleaner case (rear). 2. Open the air cleaner case and pull the cover rearward while lifting it up. 3. Remove the air cleaner element. 4. Clean the inside of the air cleaner case (both front and rear) with a damp cloth and install a new air cleaner element. 5. To install the air cleaner case (rear), insert the three projections on the air cleaner case (rear) into the slits on the air cleaner case (front). 6. Install in the reverse order of removal. NOTE Install the air cleaner element so that the surface with “UPR” printed on it faces upward. 432 Air cleaner element 11-8. Spark plugs S11AH It may be difficult to replace the spark plugs. It is recommended that you have the spark plugs replaced by your SUBARU dealer. The spark plugs should be replaced according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. CAUTION Make sure the cables are replaced in the correct order. & Recommended spark plugs S11AH01 For the recommended spark plugs, refer to “Electrical system” P470. 11-9. Drive belt S11AI It is unnecessary to check the deflection of the drive belt periodically. However, replacement of the belt should be done according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. Consult your SUBARU dealer for replacement. If the drive belt is loose, cracked or worn, contact your SUBARU dealer. 11-10. Continuously variable transmission fluid S11AY It is not necessary to check the transmission fluid level. Check that there are no cracks, damage or leakage. However, the fluid inspection should be performed according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. Consult your SUBARU dealer for details. Spark plugs 433 Maintenance and service 11-11. Front differential gear oil and rear differential gear oil S11BL It is not necessary to check the gear oil level. Check that there are no cracks, damage or leakage. However, the oil inspection should be performed according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. Consult your SUBARU dealer for details. & Recommended grade and viscosity S11BL01 Each oil manufacturer has its own base oils and additives. Never use different brands together. For details, refer to “Front differential and rear differential gear oil” P469. CAUTION Using a differential gear oil other than the specified oil may cause a decline in vehicle performance. 11-12. Brake fluid S11AO & Checking the fluid level S11AO01 WARNING . Never let brake fluid contact your eyes because brake fluid can be harmful to your eyes. If brake fluid gets in your eyes, immediately flush them thoroughly with clean water. For safety, when performing this work, wearing eye protection is advisable. . Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air. Any absorbed moisture can cause a dangerous loss of braking performance. . If the vehicle requires frequent refilling, there may be a leak. If you suspect a problem, have the vehicle checked at your SUBARU dealer. CAUTION . When adding brake fluid, be careful not to allow any dirt into the reservoir. . Never splash the brake fluid over painted surfaces or rubber parts. Alcohol contained in the brake fluid may damage them. . Be careful not to spill brake fluid when adding it. If brake fluid touches the exhaust pipe, it may cause a bad smell, smoke, and/or a fire. If brake fluid gets on the exhaust pipe, be sure to wipe it off. 1) “MAX” level line 2) “MIN” level line A) The brake fluid level must be checked in this area. Check the fluid level monthly. Check the fluid level on the outside of the reservoir. Be sure to check the fluid level for the brake system at the shaded area in the illustration. 434 Front differential gear oil and rear differential gear oil If the fluid level is below “MIN”, add the recommended brake fluid to “MAX”. Use only brake fluid from a sealed container. & Recommended brake fluid S11AO02 Refer to “Fluids” P469. CAUTION Never use different brands of brake fluid together. Also, avoid mixing DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids even if they are the same brand. 11-13. Brake pedal S11AR Check the brake pedal free play and reserve distance according to the maintenance schedule in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. 11-14. Replacement of brake pad S11AT The disc brakes have audible wear indicators on the brake pads. If the brake pads wear close to their service limit, the wear indicator makes a very audible scraping noise when the brake pedal is applied. If you hear this scraping noise each time you apply the brake pedal, have the brake pads serviced by your SUBARU dealer as soon as possible. CAUTION If you continue to drive despite the scraping noise from the audible brake pad wear indicator, it will – CONTINUED – Brake pedal 435 Maintenance and service result in the need for costly brake rotor repair or replacement. & Breaking-in of new brake pads S11AT01 When replacing the brake pad, use only genuine SUBARU parts. After replacement, the new parts must be broken in. Contact your SUBARU dealer for details. 11-15. Tires and wheels S11AV & Types of tires S11AV01 You should be familiar with type of tires present on your vehicle. ! All season tires S11AV0101 All season tires are designed to provide an adequate measure of traction, handling and braking performance in year-round driving including snowy and icy road conditions. However all season tires do not offer as much traction performance as winter (snow) tires in heavy or loose snow or on icy roads. All season tires are identified by “ALL SEASON” and/or “M+S” (Mud & Snow) on the tire sidewall. ! Summer tires S11AV0102 Summer tires are high-speed capability tires best suited for highway driving under dry conditions. Summer tires are inadequate for driving on slippery roads such as on snow-covered or icy roads. If you drive your vehicle on snow-covered or icy roads, we strongly recommend the use of winter (snow) tires. When installing winter tires, be sure to replace all four tires. ! Winter (snow) tires S11AV0103 Winter tires are best suited for driving on snow-covered and icy roads. However winter tires do not perform as well as summer tires and all season tires on roads other than snow-covered and icy roads. & Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) (U.S.-spec. models) S11AV02 The tire pressure monitoring system provides the driver with a warning message by sending a signal from a sensor that is installed in each wheel when tire pressure is severely low. The tire pressure monitoring system will activate only when the vehicle is driven. Also, this system may not react immediately to a sudden drop in tire pressure (for example, a blow-out caused by running over a sharp object). If you adjust the tire pressures in a warm garage and will then drive the vehicle in cold outside air, the resulting drop in tire pressures may cause the low tire pressure warning light to illuminate. To avoid this problem when adjusting the tire pressures in a warm garage, inflate the tires to pressures higher than those shown on the tire inflation pressure label. Specifically, inflate them by an extra 1 psi (6.9 kPa, 0.07 kgf/cm2) for every difference of 436 Tires and wheels 108F (5.68C) between the temperature in the garage and the temperature outside. By way of example, the following table shows the required tire pressures that correspond to various outside temperatures when the temperature in the garage is 608F (15.68C). Example: Tire size: 225/55R18 98H Standard tire pressures: Front: 36 psi (250 kPa, 2.5 kgf/cm2) Rear: 35 psi (240 kPa, 2.4 kgf/cm2) Garage temperature: 608F (15.68C) Outside temperature Adjusted pressure [psi (kPa, kgf/cm2)] Front Rear 308F (−18C) 39 (270, 2.7) 38 (260, 2.6) 108F (−128C) 41 (285, 2.85) 40 (275, 2.75) −108F (−238C) 44 (300, 3.0) 42 (290, 2.9) If the low tire pressure warning light illuminates when you drive the vehicle in cold outside air after adjusting the tire pressures in a warm garage, re-adjust the tire pressures using the method described above. Then, increase the vehicle speed to at least 20 mph (32 km/h) and check to see that the low tire pressure warning light turns off a few minutes later. If the low tire pressure warning light does not turn off, the tire pressure monitoring system may not be functioning normally. In this event, go to a SUBARU dealer to have the system inspected as soon as possible. While the vehicle is driven, friction between tires and the road surface causes the tires to warm up. After illumination of the low tire pressure warning light, any increase in the tire pressures caused by an increase in the outside air temperature or by an increase in the temperature in the tires can cause the low tire pressure warning light to turn off. It may not be possible to install TPMS valves on certain wheels that are on the market. Therefore, if you change the wheels (for example, a switch to snow tires), use wheels that have the same part number as the standard-equipment wheels. Without four operational TPMS valve/sensors on the wheels, the TPMS will not fully function and the warning light on the combination meter will illuminate steadily after blinking for approximately one minute. WARNING If the low tire pressure warning light does not illuminate briefly after the ignition switch is turned on or the light illuminates steadily after blinking for approximately one minute, you should have your Tire Pressure Monitoring System checked at a SUBARU dealer as soon as possible. If this light illuminates while driving, never brake suddenly and keep driving straight ahead while gradually reducing speed. Then slowly pull off the road to a safe place. Otherwise an accident involving serious vehicle damage and serious personal injury could occur. If this light still illuminates while driving after adjusting the tire pressure, a tire may have significant damage and a fast leak that causes the tire to lose air rapidly. When a wheel rim is replaced without the original pressure sensor/ transmitter being transferred, the low tire pressure warning light will illuminate steadily after blinking for approximately one minute. This indicates the TPMS is unable to monitor all four road wheels. Contact – CONTINUED – Tires and wheels 437 Maintenance and service your SUBARU dealer as soon as possible for tire and sensor replacement and/or system resetting. If the light illuminates steadily after blinking for approximately one minute, promptly contact a SUBARU dealer to have the system inspected. ! TPMS valve self-registration S11AV0201 When the wheels are replaced (such as when installing snow tires) or when a new TPMS valve is mounted on a new installed wheel, you will need to perform TPMS valve self-registration. Refer to the following procedure to perform TPMS valve selfregistration. 1. Install the wheels with TPMS valves on the vehicle. 2. Adjust the tire pressure to the specified value. For information about the specified value of the tire pressure, refer to “Tires” P470. 3. Drive at speeds above 25 mph (40 km/h) for at least 4 miles (6 km) or until the low tire pressure warning light turns off. NOTE . When installing TPMS valves, use only genuine SUBARU parts. . Registration of TPMS valves can also be done at a SUBARU dealer. Consult your SUBARU dealer. & Tire inspection S11AV03 Check on a daily basis that the tires are free from serious damage, nails, and stones. At the same time, check the tires for abnormal wear. Contact your SUBARU dealer immediately if you find any problem. NOTE . When the wheels and tires strike curbs or are subjected to harsh treatment as when the vehicle is driven on a rough surface, they can suffer damage that cannot be seen with the naked eye. This type of damage does not become evident until time has passed. Try not to drive over curbs, potholes or on other rough surfaces. If doing so is unavoidable, keep the vehicle’s speed down to a walking pace or less, and approach the curbs as squarely as possible. Also, make sure the tires are not pressed against the curb when you park the vehicle. . If you feel unusual vibration while driving or find it difficult to steer the vehicle in a straight line, one of the tires and/or wheels may be damaged. Drive slowly to the nearest authorized SUBARU dealer and have the vehicle inspected. & Tire pressures and wear S11AV04 Maintaining the correct tire pressures helps to maximize the tires’ service lives and is essential for good running performance. Check and, if necessary, adjust the pressure of each tire at least once a month and before any long journey. 438 Tires and wheels Tire inflation pressure label Check the tire pressures when the tires are cold. Use a pressure gauge to adjust the tire pressures to the values shown on the tire inflation pressure label. The tire inflation pressure label is located on the door pillar on the driver’s side. Driving even a short distance warms up the tires and increases the tire pressures. Also, the tire pressures are affected by the outside temperature. It is best to check tire pressure outdoors before driving the vehicle. When a tire becomes warm, the air inside it expands, causing the tire pressure to increase. Be careful not to mistakenly release air from a warm tire to reduce its pressure. NOTE . The air pressure in a tire increases by approximately 4.3 psi (30 kPa, 0.3 kgf/cm2) when the tire becomes warm. . The tires are considered cold when the vehicle has been parked for at least three hours or has been driven less than one mile (1.6 km). WARNING Do not let air out of warm tires to adjust pressure. Doing so will result in low tire pressure. Incorrect tire pressures detract from controllability and ride comfort, and they cause the tires to wear abnormally. 1) Correct tire pressure (tread worn evenly) Roadholding is good, and steering is responsive. Rolling resistance is low, so fuel consumption is also lower. – CONTINUED – Tires and wheels 439 Maintenance and service 2) Under inflated tire (tread worn on shoulders) Rolling resistance is high, so fuel consumption is also higher. 3) Over inflated (tread worn in the center) Ride comfort is poor. Also, the tire magnifies the effects of road-surface bumps and dips, possibly resulting in vehicle damage. If the tire inflation pressure label shows tire pressures for the vehicle when fully loaded, adjust the tire pressures to the values that match the loading conditions. WARNING Driving at high speeds with excessively low tire pressures can cause the tires to deform severely and to rapidly heat up. A sharp increase in temperature could cause tread separation, and destruction of the tires. The resulting loss of vehicle control could lead to an accident. & Wheel balance S11AV05 Each wheel was correctly balanced when your vehicle was new, but the wheels will become unbalanced as the tires become worn during use. Wheel imbalance causes the steering wheel to vibrate slightly at certain vehicle speeds and detracts from the vehicle’s straight-line stability. It can also cause steering and suspension system problems and abnormal tire wear. If you suspect that the wheels are not correctly balanced, have them checked and adjusted by your SUBARU dealer. Also have them adjusted after tire repairs and after tire rotation. CAUTION Loss of correct wheel alignment causes the tires to wear on one side and reduces the vehicle’s running stability. Contact your SUBARU dealer if you notice abnormal tire wear. NOTE The suspension system is designed to hold each wheel at a certain alignment (relative to the other wheels and to the road) for optimum straight-line stability and cornering performance. 440 Tires and wheels & Wear indicators S11AV06 1) New tread 2) Worn tread 3) Tread wear indicator Each tire incorporates a tread wear indicator, which becomes visible when the depth of the tread grooves decreases to 0.063 in (1.6 mm). A tire must be replaced when the tread wear indicator appears as a solid band across the tread. WARNING When a tire’s tread wear indicator becomes visible, the tire is worn beyond the acceptable limit and must be replaced immediately. With a tire in this condition, driving at high speeds in wet weather can cause the vehicle to hydroplane. The resulting loss of vehicle control can lead to an accident. NOTE For safety, inspect tire tread regularly and replace the tires before their tread wear indicators become visible. & Rotational direction of tires S11AV11 Example of rotational direction marked on the sidewall 1) Front If the tires have specific rotational direction, refer to the arrow marked on the side wall. The arrow should be pointing forward direction when the wheels are fitted. & Tire rotation S11AV07 Tire wear varies from wheel to wheel, and rotation is necessary. However, it may be difficult to rotate the tires. Have the tires rotated by – CONTINUED – Tires and wheels 441 Maintenance and service your SUBARU dealer. For the tire rotation schedule, refer to the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. & Tire replacement S11AV08 The wheels and tires are important and integral parts of your vehicle’s design; they cannot be changed arbitrarily. The tires fitted as standard equipment are optimally matched to the characteristics of the vehicle and were selected to give the best possible combination of running performance, ride comfort, and service life. It is essential for every tire to have a size and construction matching those shown on the tire inflation pressure label and to have a speed symbol and load index matching those shown on the tire inflation pressure label. Using tires of a non-specified size detracts from controllability, ride comfort, braking performance, speedometer accuracy and odometer accuracy. It also creates incorrect body-to-tire clearances and inappropriately changes the vehicle’s ground clearance. All four tires must be the same in terms of manufacturer, brand (tread pattern), construction, and size. You are advised to replace the tires with new ones that are identical to those fitted as standard equipment. For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU recommends replacing all four tires at the same time. WARNING . When replacing or installing tire(s), all four tires must be the same for the following items. (a) Size (b) Speed symbol (c) Load index (d) Circumference (e) Construction (f) Manufacturer (g) Brand (tread pattern) (h) Degrees of wear For items (a) to (c), you must obey the specification that is printed on the tire inflation pressure label. The tire inflation pressure label is located on the driver’s door pillar. If all the four tires are not the same for items (a) to (h), serious mechanical damage could be caused to the drivetrain of the car, and affect the followings. – Ride – Handling – Braking – Speedometer/Odometer calibration – Clearance between the body and tires It also may be dangerous and lead to loss of vehicle control, and it can lead to an accident. . Use only radial tires. Do not use radial tires together with belted bias tires and/or bias-ply tires. Doing so can dangerously reduce controllability, resulting in an accident. & Wheel replacement S11AV09 When replacing wheels due, for example, to damage, make sure the replacement wheels match the specifications of the wheels that are fitted as standard equipment. Replacement wheels are available from SUBARU dealers. 442 Tires and wheels WARNING Use only those wheels that are specified for your vehicle. Wheels not meeting specifications could interfere with brake caliper operation and may cause the tires to rub against the wheel well housing during turns. The resulting loss of vehicle control could lead to an accident. NOTE When any of the wheels are removed and replaced for tire rotation or for any other reason, always check the tightness of the wheel nuts after driving approximately 600 miles (1,000 km). If any nut is loose, tighten it to the specified torque. ! Replacement procedure S11AV0901 WARNING . Do not jack up the vehicle on an incline or a loose road surface. The jack can come out of the jacking point or sink into the ground and this can result in serious injury or death. . Use only the jack and the jack handle provided with your vehicle. The jack supplied with the vehicle is designed only for changing a tire. Never get under the vehicle while supporting the vehicle with this jack. . Before jacking up the vehicle, be sure that there are no occupants or cargo on board. . Do not jack up the vehicle with an object on or underneath the jack. The jack can be unstable and this can result in a severe accident. . Always turn off the HYBRID system before raising the tire off the ground using the jack. Never swing or push the vehicle supported with the jack. The jack can come out of the jacking point due to a jolt and this can result in serious injury or death. . All passengers must exit the vehicle before you raise it with the jack. Raising the vehicle with someone inside of it could result in serious injury or death. . Do not start the vehicle while it is supported by the jack. Doing so could result in serious injury or death. CAUTION Do not hit and bend the disc rotor backing plate when removing and installing the tire. A bent backing plate may scrape against the disc rotor and cause noise while the vehicle is in motion. NOTE Contact a SUBARU dealer when jacking up the vehicle using a garage jack. 1. Park on a hard, level surface, whenever possible, then stop the HYBRID system. 2. Apply the parking brake securely and shift the select lever into the “P” (Park) position. 3. Turn on the hazard warning flasher and unload all occupants and luggage from the vehicle. – CONTINUED – Tires and wheels 443 Maintenance and service 4. Put wheel blocks at the front and rear of the tire diagonally opposite the tire to be replaced. 5. Take out the jack, jack handle and wheel nut wrench. Refer to “Maintenance tools” P384. NOTE Make sure that the jack is well lubricated before using it. 6. Loosen the wheel nuts using the wheel nut wrench but do not remove the nuts. Jack-up points 7. Place the jack under the side sill at the front or rear jack-up point closest to the tire to be replaced. Turn the jackscrew by hand until the jack head engages firmly into the jack-up point. 8. Insert the jack handle into the hole of the wheel nut wrench. 444 Tires and wheels 9. Insert the jack handle into the jackscrew, and turn the handle until the tire clears the ground. Do not raise the vehicle higher than necessary. 10. Remove the wheel nuts and the tire to be replaced. 11. Before putting the new tire on, clean the mounting surface of the wheel and hub with a cloth. 12. Put on the new tire. Replace the wheel nuts. Tighten them by hand. WARNING Do not use oil or grease on the wheel studs or nuts when the new tire is installed. This could cause the nuts to become loose and lead to an accident. 13. Turn the jack handle counterclockwise to lower the vehicle. 14. Use the wheel nut wrench to securely tighten the wheel nuts to the specified torque, following the tightening order in the illustration. For the wheel nut tightening torque, refer to “Tires” P470. Never use your foot on the wheel nut wrench or a pipe extension on the wrench because you may exceed the specified torque. Have the wheel nut torque checked at the nearest automotive service facility. 15. Store the jack, jack handle and wheel nut wrench in their storage locations. WARNING Never place the tire to be replaced or tire changing tools in the passenger compartment after changing a new – CONTINUED – Tires and wheels 445 Maintenance and service tire. In a sudden stop or collisions, loose equipment could strike occupants and cause injury. Store the all tools in the proper place. 11-16. Alloy wheels S11BM Alloy wheels can be scratched and damaged easily. Handle them carefully to maintain their appearance, performance, and safety. . When any of the wheels are removed and replaced for tire rotation or to change a flat tire, always check the tightness of the wheel nuts after driving approximately 600 miles (1,000 km). If any nut is loose, tighten it to the specified torque. . Never apply oil to the threaded parts, wheel nuts, or tapered surface of the wheel. . Never let the wheel rub against sharp protrusions or curbs. . When wheel nuts, balance weights, or the center cap is replaced, be sure to replace them with genuine SUBARU parts designed for alloy wheels. . When stacking and storing removed tires, place shock-absorbing material between the tires to protect the wheels from becoming scratched. 11-17. Windshield washer fluid S11AX Windshield washer fluid warning light When there is only a small amount of washer fluid remaining, the windshield washer fluid warning light will illuminate. When this occurs, refill the washer fluid. 446 Alloy wheels & Adding the windshield washer fluid S11AX01 CAUTION Never use engine coolant as washer fluid because it could cause paint damage. Remove the washer tank filler cap, then add windshield washer fluid. & Windshield washer fluid S11AX02 Use windshield washer fluid. If windshield washer fluid is unavailable use clean water. In areas where water freezes in winter, use an anti-freeze type windshield washer fluid. If you fill the reservoir tank with a fluid with a different concentration from the one used previously, purge the old fluid from the piping between the reservoir tank and washer nozzles by operating the washer for a certain period of time. Otherwise, if the concentration of the fluid remaining in the piping is too low for the outside temperature, it may freeze and block the nozzles. CAUTION . Adjust the washer fluid concentration appropriately for the outside temperature. If the concentration is inappropriate, sprayed washer fluid may freeze on the windshield and obstruct your view, and the fluid may freeze in the reservoir tank. . Be careful foreign matter does not contaminate the washer fluid when filling the tank. Contamination could cause malfunctions, such as clogging the pump. . State or local regulations on volatile organic compounds may restrict the use of methanol, a common windshield washer antifreeze additive. Washer fluids containing non-methanol antifreeze agents should be used only if they provide cold weather protection without damaging your vehicle’s paint, wiper blades or washer system. Windshield washer fluid 447 Maintenance and service 11-18. Replacement of wiper blades S11AZ Grease, wax, insects, or other material on the windshield or the wiper blade results in jerky wiper operation and stre