NHTSA ID Number: 10209916
Manufacturer Communication Number: Subaru TechTips
Subaru Service and Technical Support Line Newsletter. (QMR of the Month)
Articles Contained in this Issue
Click on a title below to jump to the article.
Click the date located in the footer to return to page 1.
(00) STIS New Releases…………………………….9-10
(01) QMR of the Month………………………………..1-2
(01) QMR of the Month Award
Tech Tips Greatest Tips
(02) P0171 , Rough Running Condition After Cold
(11) DTC P0171 Diagnostics………………………….. 3
(01) The TechShare QMR and You…………………4-5
(05) Flat Spots and Road Force Tire Balance…… 5
(15) GEOTAB, Fleet Tracking Device………………5-6
(15) Keyless Entry Inoperative & Turn-Key .
Immobilizer Programming Inoperative,
1 Affected Product
1 Associated Document
TIPS0222 – 2022 February TechTIPS Newsletter
- 🔧【PLUG AND PLAY - EASY TO USE】 : It only takes 3 steps to connect to the car for diagnosis without cumbersome operations. The latest FX2000 is equipped with a one-key diagnosis function, which can automatically identify the model and year of your car, and automatically diagnose the car. Even beginners can use it to read the data to find out what the fault codes mean, how serious the fault is and what options there are to fix it before you go to the repair shop.
- 🚗【FULL OBD-LEVEL DIAGNOSTICS】: Quickly determines the cause of engine system faults, reads current, permanent and pending codes. After the repair, clears the codes and turns off the warning light. In addition, the FX2000 also displays important OBD II advanced data such as fuel, live data and other manufacturer-specific parameters in real time to ensure that the engine ECU is operating correctly and safely, saving vehicle owners a lot of time and money in maintenance.
- 🚙【TRANSMISSION FAULT DIAGNOSTIC】: When noises start to come from the transmission, your car might have transmission problems. This transmission scanner will read fault codes, display live transmission system data (fluid temperature, fluid pump, clutch actuation, pressure, etc.), and ensures transmission performance is optimal for vehicle speed and load. It provides detailed TCM data of the vehicle, so you can quickly and accurately find existing or potential problems.
- 🚐【FIND OUT SRS WRONG】: It is able to read and clear fault codes in the SRS (airbag) and turn off the warning light to make sure the system is working correctly and safely. This diagnostic tool also displays a live graphical data stream of the supplemental restraint system (air bag), which allows you to analyze and verify that the air bag system is working properly.
- 🚌【ABS OBD2 SCANNER】:The FX2000 can read and clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) data stream transmitted from the ABS. It can verify the operating conditions of the ABS through a series of bi-directional tests and turn off the warning light. By retrieving the ABS code data, it can check the various brake components and accurately diagnose problems.
- 🚘【ABS & SRS SYSTEMS DIAGNOSES FREE】Thinkcar SF100 OBD2 Scanner supports 2 main system diagnostics, including Air Bag and ABS system. ✔ Anti-Brake System Diagnosis (ABS): Retrieve ABS codes to tell you where the problem is, then you can fix it. ✔ Airbag System Diagnosis (SRS): A safety restraint system, is made up of impact sensors, a control module, and the airbags themselves. This diagnostic device can detect every electronic parameter to check its health status.
- 🚗【FULL 10 OBDII DIAGNOSIS FREE】This check engine code reader supports 10 modes of OBDII diagnostic functions-Read codes, Erase codes, On-board monitor test, I/M readiness, Vehicle live data, Freeze frame data, Auto VIN information, O2 Monitor Test, EVAP Monitor Test, DTCs Lookup. It helpful for quick analysis and diagnosis, providing solutions, saving time and money.
- 👍【EPB & OIL RESET FREE】Optional Paid Subscription Service Resets: Throttle Matching, Battery Matching,ABS Bleeding,EPB Reset,DPF Regeneration,TPMS Reset(NOT TPMS programming),Airbag Reset,Gear Learn, Etc. $29.95/one/ year. 👉 NOTE: The reset function is not applicable to all vehicles. Please send us the VIN number to check compatibility before purchasing.
- 🚗【Various vehicle coverage + 8 languages】Thinkcar ThinkScan SF100 car scanner diagnostic car diagnostic tool supports vehicles under the OBD2 agreement after 1996, covering a wide range of vehicles in Asia, Europe and the United States, with a wide coverage. 💜SUPPORT 8 LANGUAGES💜： English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Russian, Japanese, German, Italian.
- ✅【 SUPPORT DIAGNOSIS REPORT 】This code reader can easily generate vehicle health diagnosis report, scan the QR code to print the diagnosis report. Simple and convenient, save time and efficiency for your car diagnosis.
- 🔔【Easy to Use--Work out of box】+【FOXWELL 2023 New Version】 FOXWELL NT604 Elite scan tool is the 2023 new version from FOXWELL, which is designed for those car owners who want to figure out the cause issue before fixing the car problem via scanning the most common systems like abs srs engine and transmission.The NT604 Elite diagnostic tool comes with latest software, which can be used out of box. No need to waste time to download the software first.
- 🍎【Affordable】+【Reliable Car Health Monitor】 Will you be confused what happen when the warning light of abs/srs/transmission/check engine flashes? Instead of taking your cars to dealership, this foxwell scanner will help you do a thorough scanning and detection for your lovely cars and pinpoint the problem for you, which saves time and money for you. It will t-urn off the warning light for you after you fix the problem, making you to know more about your cars and do your own repair.
- 🥑【2 in 1 Diagnostic Scanner】Compared with those auto scanners (50-100 USD), NT604 Elite code scanner not only includes their OBDII diagnosis but also it can be an abs/srs scanner, transmission and check engine code reader. When it’s an odb2 scanner, you can use it to check if your car is ready for annual test through I/M readiness menu. In addition, live data stream, built-in DTC library, data play back and print, all these features are a big plus for it.
- 🍓【Fantastic AUTOVIN】+【No extra software fee】Through the AUTOVIN menu, this NT604 Elite car scanner allows you to get your V-IN and vehicle info rapidly, no need to take time to find your V-IN and input one by one. What's more, the NT604 Elite abs srs scanner supports 60+ car makes from worldwide (America/Asia/Europe). You don’t need to pay extra software fee.
- 🥝【Solid protective case KO plastic carrying bag】+ 【Lifetime update】Almost all same price-level obd scanner diagnostic tool only offers plastic bag to hold on the scanner.However, NT604 Elite automotive scanner is equipped with solid protective case, preventing your obd2 scanner from damage. Then you don’t need to pay extra money to buy a solid toolbox.
- 🎁 Conact Seller to Get Free Gift 🎁 Same Function as LAUNCH CRP123E 🎁 Fast Delivery by Amazon🎁 Lifetime Free Update🎁 5 YEARS Warranty
- [Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Tool]----The crp123 obd2 scanner is perfect balance of power and affordability, providing the ability to view preset, or user defined, live data streams for ENGINE, AT, ABS and SRS data, the ability to graph, record, replay and print data, read and resets codes for engine/abs/srs/transmission system.
- [Full OBDII Test Code Reader]----LAUNCH CRP123 scan tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII standard to ensure complete, accurate, system diagnosis. Read and Clear DTCs, do smog tests , I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, Mode 06 EVAP system test, Mode 08 on-board test component test. And OBDII Code lookup tool and acronym database to assist and speed diagnosis and repair time.
- [Live Data Stream + Advance OBDII Scanner + Lifetime Free Update]---- Launch crp123 scanner support for Generic OBDII Codes (P0, P2, P3 and U0); manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3 and U1); pending codes; freeze frame data; monitor and I/M readiness; live PCM stream data; graphing functionality for up to four (4) live data streams; clears DTC codes and turns off the MIL; resets monitors; provides Data Link Connector (DLC) location hints.
- [Extensive Vehicle Coverage + 9 Languages]----The LAUNCH CRP123 reads data from ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ABS and SRS systems from Asian, US and European manufacturers. Coverage includes Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Isuzu, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Benz, BMW, VW, Opel, Volvo, Fiat, Land Rover, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar and many others. Support 9 different languages.
- 【ABS & SRS Diagnoses + Active Test for ABS SRS】LAUNCH CR629 scan tool can do advanced Bidirectional Control (active test), read vehicle version information, read/clear DTCs, and read graphic live data stream for ABS SRS modules. Utilizing the active test can detect the hidden problems when you see the related warning light of ABS SRS systems. 📌NOTE: This launch obd2 scanner currently supports ACTIVE TEST for 20 car brands. Please contact us to check the compatibility before purchase.
- 【3 Reset Services】This automotive scanner LAUNCH CR629 provides 3 reset services: Oil reset, SAS reset and BMS Reset, helping to keep your car running smoothly. ➤Oil Reset: To reset the oil life each time you have the oil and oil filter changed. ➤SAS Reset: To perform a calibration of the steering angle sensor following a wheel alignment or installation of a suspension or steering part. ➤BMS Reset. 📌Please contact us to check the vehicle compatibility for reset services before purchase.
- 【OBD2 Full Functions + Support 10000+ Vehicle】 Come with 10 modes of OBD2 tests (including Read/Clear codes, View Freeze Frame Data, O2 Sensor Test, Evap Test, etc.), LAUNCH CR629 obd2 scanner tells you the exact problem behind the check engine warning light, solve emission issues, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles. This ABS SRS scan tool supports ABS & SRS diagnoses for 42 car brands. 22 Car brands for BMS reset, 53 brands for oil reset, and 41 brands for SAS reset.
- 【User-friendly + Live Data Stream】 LAUNCH CR629 car code reader is specially designed with the following features ➤3.5 inch large LCD color display. ➤3 hot keys（F1/F2/F3）to access to the target interface directly with ONE CLICK. ➤DTC Lookup to identify a code’s meaning directly. No google research needed! ➤PC Printing to print the information out after PC connection. ➤Review data records historical DTCs, data streams and freeze frame data, which is convenient to view at any time.
- 【5 Years Warranty + Lifetime Free Update+ 8 Languages】 This original Launch OBD2 scanner CR629 is backed up by Launch official after-sale services with 5-year warranty, available 60-days return & replacement policy. This car code scanner supports English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Italian. If you have any problem, you can contact us freely via customer service email or message us on Amazon.
- 🏆【TOP ABS SRS OBD2 SCANNER for CAR】1️⃣ABS SRS Airbag Scan Tool: Emergency code diagnosis for ABS SRS Airbag modules;2️⃣ABS Airbag Light & Sensor Reset Tool: Reset & sensor calibrate after repairing the faults;3️⃣Bidirectional Scan Tool: Activate & command ABS/SRS/Airbag components;4️⃣Powerful OBD2 Scanner: Covers all obd2 functions for 12v vehicles after 1996. 👉TIPS: The abs scanner can NOT clear airbag crash data/collision data even replace the new airbag. NOT support programming/coding.
- 🥇【NO.1 ABS BLEEDING SCAN TOOL】Have you always feel the Brake pedal was slowly sinking to floor or the pedal was loose than the new vehicle? This abs brake auto bleed scan tool will bleed the brake, cycling the pump and valves to get a high and tight brake pedal. No need to cost hundreds of service fees to own a foxwell obd2 scanner with abs auto bleed. 👉Note: Only works on the vehicles support auto abs bleeder.
- 👍【Cost Less than $150 to Own a ABS SRS BIDIRECTIONAL SCAN TOOL】It’s so valuable to own one with active test feature that never can not find on similar abs scanner. This abs code reader scan tool allows you to control the ABS/Airbag system and components to test hidden issues, including Auto Bleed Test/ Setup SDM Serial Number/ ABS Manual Control Tests/ ABS Motor Test/ ABS Version Test/ Actuator Tests, etc. When you exit the test, the system/component returns to normal operation.
- 🚦【Awesome Function for ABS SRS AIRBAG】 No auto scanner less than $400 in the market can do these. If you feel headache on choosing abs srs scan tool which not only read code but also has depth functions, do not miss this abs scanner airbag code reader. This car scanner will scan, pin-point the problem down and tell you what the possible issues, no need to replace one by one, and it also initialize/reset/calibrate the new sensor/module after repairing.
- 🌈【SAS CALIBRATION & AIRBAG LIGHT RESET】 🚩🚩🚩NOTE: Before resetting airbag, please make sure the software version is V4.02.001(NOT support crash codes). Reading the airbag faults when the light was on and help you to reset the error codes after solving the faults. Also runs calibration of the steering angle sensor,which permanently stores the current steering wheel position as straight-ahead in the sensor EEPROM. On successful calibration of the sensor, the fault is automatically cleared.
- [ABS & SRS Scanner with Active Test] The ABS/ SRS diagnostic tool Read & clear DTCs, displays live data in a graph to locate the cause of faults and assists the home mechanic with repairs and clearing ABS and airbag warning lights. Active test sensors, valves or solenoids etc. and tracks any threats in real time. It is invaluable to have a diagnostic tool with Active Test feature that you will never find on similar ABS/ SRS scanners.
- 【3 HOP Reset Services 】Easy to set up 3 regular reset services for Oil Light, Battery Management System, and Steering Angle Position. With this obd2 scanner, you can reset the oil service light and reset pre-programmed mileage intervals for energy efficiency; adjust or reset the steering angle position to keep steering aligned; and clear the original low battery fault information. No need to leave home for shop-quality car maintenance.
- 【All OBD2 Test Modes 】 This ABS & SRS scan tool is also a full featured obd2 code reader, allowing a quick test of the engine system of OBD II vehicles, can Read/Clear engine light codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame, Retrieving I/M Readiness Status, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test, Evap Test, Read Vehicle Information, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles.
- [DTC LookUp Library] Can't read the code? Go to the DTC LookUp Library. The Topdon AL600 OBD2 scanner offers a wealth of code definitions so you don't have to look them up in a list or database, and the HELP function takes you to diagnostic tips for possible fixes, saving time searching for repair materials online. No other scan tool or code reader under $100 offers this level of assistance.
- [User-Oriented] You'll love the feel of this automotive scanner, with black rubber grips all around the outer edges for durability and to withstand accidental drops. With its easy access menu, you can operate all functions in minutes with just a few button presses. The 3-color LEDs give you a intuitive indication of the OBD2 test results in a second. 3 shortcut keys, one key to read/clear DTCs and a one-touch smoke status check make it easy to use even for beginners.
- 🚩2023 New Elite Version🚩Same Function As LAUNCH CRP123E 🚩Lifetime Free Update🚩5 YEARs Warranty 🚩Conact seller to get Free Gift 🚩Fast delivery by Amazon
- 🎁【Great Gift Idea For Every Car Owner】: Prefect choice for your father, husband, brother or boyfriend. EVERY CAR OWNER WILL NEED IT! It comes with high-quality host with a strong box. Get LAUNCH CRP123 Elite car diagnostic scanner and give your lover a surprise!
- 🚗【 Read & Clear/Reset Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool 】LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner can test Engine, Transmission, ABS and Airbag four systems, also reads and resets code, displays data stream graphic, stores and playbacks dynamic data stream,helps to quick analysis and diagnosis.
- 🚗【 Error Fault Code Reader 】Except the full 10 modes OBD2 diagnostic functions like, retrieving I/M readiness, Freeze Frame Data, Read Dynamic Data stream and Vehicle Information, O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test of Fuel Tank System (Mode 8) and Advanced On-board Monitoring (Mode 6), launch crp123 obd2 scanner can not only reveal what error codes your car is producing, but also erase your vehicle’s check engine light after problem fixed, the DTC help and explanation also tell you the exact problem.
- 🚗【 Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Print diagnostic data 】※Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem . ※ Large size Color Screen ;※ Print Function:Print the diagnose result easily; ※ with user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can Look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK.
- 【Check Engine Light】The obd2 scanner 6100P shows fault codes with DTC Severity and quickly reveals the cause of "Check Engine" light warnings(MIL). One-press hot key help to check engine issue. Live data displays plenty of vehicle data present, such as engine coolant temperature, fuel injector pulse width(fuel trim), RPM, spark timing, etc.
- 【ABS & SRS & Transmission 】In addition to related OBD II codes,The abs srs obd2 scanner works well on reading/erasing ABS & SRS and Transmission codes for popular US Car Makes such as Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GM, etc. when the Traction light is constantly on. The ability to really detect where the problem is concerning brakes and airbags enables you to make sure all safety measures in place before putting yourself in harm's way.
- 【Oil Light Reset+Oil Level/Oil Life status】it easy to view the procedures or send command for resetting oil maintenance or resetting the mileage or driving time to zero after the maintenance for most 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles. This abs code reader can also monitor your oil level and oil life status.
- 【Battery Test & Alternator Test】The Innova code reader can be used to check the performance of the battery or alternator for your hybrid, car, SUV, minivan, or light truck diesel as well. During rough winters and scorching summers, this diagnostic tool will be invaluable when trying to root out start-up issues.
- 【Code Severity Levels】With Code Severity Levels function of This Innova Scan Tool, you can quickly identify if your vehicle needs an immediate fix or if it can wait until you get home to fix it yourself,You don't need to worry about the warning lights on again. And we are glad to tell that Innova 6100P has been selected to "Amazon's Highly recommended products" as "Highly rated OBDII Scanners" 🙂
- 🚙【2023 Upgraded Version of AL319/ AL519/ ML519/ ML619】Autel develops the brand-new AutoLink AL619 as the advanced ver. of Autel AL519, ML519, AL319, MS309. This Auel AL619 OBD2 scanner can scan ABS & SRS modules and supports Full 10 Modes of OBDII Functions with Enhanced Mode 6 on Worldwide Vehicles to read/ erase codes and turn off the MIL, reset ABS, SRS warning lights so that you can better maintain your car when related malfunctions occur and get your vehicle ready for the annual test.
- 🚙【Accurate ABS/SRS Diagnostic】If you accidentally trigger an ABS light or airbag light, AL619 can tell you what is making them on. AL619 scan tool can perform ABS/SRS diagnostic to get ABS/SRS codes to quickly locate the problem areas, replace bad parts or make repairs, clear the codes and turn off the warning lights. NOTE: ABS SRS Scan does NOT work on vehicles after 2015, and functions are not universal. Please send VIN number to 🚘auteldirect @ outlook. com🚘 to check compatibility.
- 🚙【Full OBD2 Functions & Numerous DTC Lookup】Only a scanner equipped with full OBD2 capability will help you most effectively! AL619 scanner can perform ALL 10 modes of OBD2 tests on vehicles to check emission-related conditions, including: read code, clear code, view live data, freeze frame data, vehicle info, check I/M readiness status, O2 monitor test, on-board monitor test, EVAP leak test, modules present. Built-in DTC Library can directly search DTC meaning, no need to google or guess it.
- 🚙【Accurate Read & Clear DTCs】Getting diagnostic codes(DTCs) is necessary before repairs if you don't want to be ripped off. AL619 can read codes and clear codes, helping you save trouble:1)before repairs, locate issues and decide whether to fix them yourself or go to a mechanic; 2)after repairs, make sure the issues have been fixed; 3) clear occasional fault codes, turn off CEL or MIL, and get car back to normal.
- 🚙【Turn Off CEL & Smog Check】The Check Engine Light is always annoying you, most of the time because of a little thing like a loose gas cap, isn't it? With AL619 scan tool, you can read code to quickly find out why the check engine light is on and reset it. Don’t waste money on a failed smog test! AL619 can retrieve I/M Readiness status to make sure OBD2 monitors on your car are “Ready”, monitors like misfire, fuel, catalyst, O2 sensors, EVAP, etc, to help you pass the annual smog check.
Last update on 2023-05-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
February 2022 TechTIPS Page 1 of 11 Subaru Service and Technical Support Line Newsletter ©2022 Subaru of America, Inc. All rights reserved. 01 QMR of the Month We are pleased to announce this month’s QMR of the Month Winner: Leo Gilmore from Ruge’s Subaru in Rhinebeck, NY The QMR of the Month selected from December’s submissions detailed a rather unusual condition which became evident after a routine clutch replacement on an 83,000+ mile, 2016MY Impreza 5-Door. Removing the transmission revealed severely worn clutch components which included a pressure plate with several fingers missing from the diaphragm spring. Upon completion of the repair and subsequent confirmation road testing, the Check Engine light came on. Leo reported finding random misfire codes in memory and roughness counts even though the car ran perfectly normal. Since the primary source of misfire data is the crankshaft position sensor, he began by removing it for a visual inspection. With no damage identified, Leo proceeded to inspect each tooth of the reluctor using a borescope while slowly rotating the crankshaft. No damage or misalignment was found. Leo proceeded by connecting his Pico scope and taking a closer look at the waveform data for both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft sensor. He also used the same waveform data from a known good vehicle for comparison with no significant differences seen. After ruling out an imbalance of the replacement clutch components by installing another assembly, Leo decided to swap in a known good crankshaft position sensor, clear the ECM memory then headed back out for another road test with the scope reconnected. The roughness counts disappeared, and the Check Engine light did not reset. After replacing the crankshaft position sensor with a new part and another confirmation road test, the vehicle was returned to the customer. Leo’s TechShare report included his detailed diagnostic steps along with scope data screenshots and numerous high-quality photos. In appreciation for his continuing to go the extra mile, Leo will be receiving the following from his Field Service Engineer: $500.00 Snap-On gift card SUBARU TECHLINE HOLIDAYS & HOURS OF OPERATION Mon. – Thurs. 8:30AM – 7:30PM EST Friday 10:30AM – 5:00PM EST Saturday 9:00AM – 3:00PM EST Articles Contained in this Issue Click on a title below to jump to the article. Click the date located in the footer to return to page 1. CODE ARTICLE………………………………………………………….PAGE (00) STIS New Releases…………………………….9-10 (01) QMR of the Month………………………………..1-2 (01) QMR of the Month Award Presentations………………………………………… 2 Tech Tips Greatest Tips (02) P0171 , Rough Running Condition After Cold Start…………………………………………………….. 3 (11) DTC P0171 Diagnostics………………………….. 3 (01) The TechShare QMR and You…………………4-5 (05) Flat Spots and Road Force Tire Balance…… 5 (15) GEOTAB, Fleet Tracking Device………………5-6 (15) Keyless Entry Inoperative & Turn-Key . Immobilizer Programming Inoperative, Similar Connectors………………………………7-8 The Subaru TechTIPS newsletter is intended for use by professional Technicians ONLY. Articles are written to inform those Technicians of conditions that may occur in some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper servicing of the vehicle. Properly trained Technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do the job correctly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that your vehicle has or will have that condition. Impreza, Legacy, Justy, Loyale, Outback, Forester, Subaru SVX, WRX, WRX STI, Baja, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek, Ascent, Crosstrek Hybrid and “Quality Driven” are Registered Trademarks. ISO 14001 is the international standard for excellence in Environmental Management Systems. Please recycle or dispose of automotive products in a manner that is friendly to our environment and in accordance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations. CAUTION: VEHICLE SERVICING PERFORMED BY UNTRAINED PERSONS COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY TO THOSE PERSONS OR TO OTHERS. SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. IS ISO 14001 COMPLIANT Continued on the next page February 2022 Home Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 2 of 11 01 QMR of the Month (CONTINUED) The other Regional winners selected from QMRs submitted during December 2021 were: • Charles Johnston from Subaru of Macon in Macon, GA • Raymond Quintana from Shingle Springs Subaru in Shingle Springs, CA • Bryan Finochiaro from Baxter Subaru Omaha in Omaha, NE • Daniel Evans from North Reading Subaru in North Reading, MA Any Subaru Technician can participate in the QMR of the Month program. See the February 2013 and January 2016 issues of Tech TIPS for full details. You just might see your name and photo in a future issue of Tech TIPS! 01 QMR of the Month Award Presentations As part of our “enhanced” QMR of the Month recognition program, we include a photo (whenever available) of the recipient’s award presentation in TIPS. The winner selected from QMR of the Month submissions received during December 2021 was (once again) Leo Gilmore, a Technician from Ruge’s Subaru in Rhinebeck, NY. Leo is shown above after being presented with his $500.00 Snap-On Gift Card. To Leo’s right are Dealer Principals Lewis Ruge and Kristin Hutchins. To his left are Service Manager Jack Cleary and Subaru Distributors Corporation Field Service Engineer, Jim Colamarino. Congratulations and THANK YOU to our December 2021 QMR of the Month Award recipient! Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 3 of 11 This series features TechTIPS articles frequently referred to by Techline. This month’s features are from April 2009 and December 2020. 02 P0171 , Rough Running Condition After Cold Start If you encounter a 2005 or newer M/Y turbocharged vehicle experiencing a Check Engine Light for DTC P0171 and/or a customer complaint of rough running for a short period after start-up when cold, check for a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. The complaint has been noted primarily in northern climates when the outside temperatures are often below freezing. There is an orange rubber o-ring type intake manifold gasket used between the plastic upper intake plenum and the tumble generator part of the intake manifold. In some cases, idle quality was compromised. At times the SSMIII showed a 25% enrichment from the A/F sensor and a slightly lower MAP reading. After removing and separating the intake components, a dirty, blackened tracing could be seen where the leak was occurring (see photo). Symptoms would diminish as the engine warmed up. After replacing the o-ring gaskets, readings returned to normal and idle quality was restored. 11 DTC P0171 Diagnostics Unmetered Air • Air entering the engine after the MAF will cause lean air/fuel mixtures. o Inspect all air intake connections for damage or looseness after the MAF. o In order to locate air leaks which cannot be visually inspected, use a method of fuel enrichment while monitoring your fuel trims. If the fuel trims drop toward 0% or A/F sensor returns to ≤1.0 during enrichment of a certain location, suspect an air leak. o Test the CPC solenoid and brake booster by blocking the hose connected to the component while monitoring the fuel trims to determine if there is a fault. Exhaust • Air entering the exhaust system between the cylinder head and A/F sensor will also cause a false lean condition. Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 4 of 11 11 DTC P0171 Diagnostics (CONTINUED) Metering devices • Metering devices for the air/fuel mixture can send incorrect information to the ECM causing incorrect fuel corrections. o Inspect the connections at all air/fuel metering devices for poor connection and contamination. o Swap the MAF and A/F sensor into a like vehicle to see if the condition follows the sensor. Combustion chamber • Poor combustion in a cylinder can result in unburned oxygen. The A/F sensor will read the unburned oxygen as a lean condition. o Verify valve clearances and compression readings are within specifications according to the applicable Service Manual. o Information regarding cylinder leak-down testing can be found on STIS in Technician’s Reference Booklet: Engine Theory and Diagnosis MSA5P2106C. 01 The TechShare QMR and You With the new addition of the TechShare app, Techline and FQA felt it necessary to remind everyone on the importance, reason, proper usage, and effectiveness behind Quality Monitoring Reports (QMR)s, A QMR should be completed for the following: • Any vehicle repair made at the time of PDI. • Any vehicle repair or condition you feel is unusual. • Any potential safety related concern. • Any common trend you as the field Technician are seeing that SOA may not be aware of. A QMR should NOT be completed with questions regarding vehicle operation, repair procedures or claims entry. These topics were not intended for QMRs or the TechShare app, even though a steady increase has been seen. It is recommended to exhaust all available resources on Subarunet, STIS, fellow coworkers/shop foreman, contacting the SOA Techline or the Claims Support for further assistance. The new TechShare QMR incorporates an interactive dialog option for the retailer Technician and FSE. This new option for dialog is intended to help Technicians receive feedback regarding their QMR entry from their FSE, not for diagnosis. This option should be utilized solely as a line of communication for coaching opportunities to create a more effective QMR. In addition, QMRs should NEVER be used to escalate a vehicle concern if the Technician is having a difficult diagnosis/repair. Always utilize Techline for any repair escalations. Keep in mind, QMRs are a great way to report a new or hard to diagnose concern AFTER it has been successfully repaired. This will help the repair review process and provide potential improvement. February 2022 TechTIPS Page 5 of 11 Continued on the next page 01 The TechShare QMR and You (CONTINUED) Finally, in today’s world everyone’s time is valuable, remember, the key to any diagnosis is in the details. Without the details, the ability of the next level to help you is significantly reduced. The same goes for reporting quality or safety concerns. The more details provided, the better and faster action can take place. Pictures, videos, troubleshooting results and SSM data are vital to good quality improvement escalations. Efficiency is crucial. In this case efficiency means sharing all the details so quick evaluations, judgments, further escalation and follow up actions can be made effectively. For questions regarding claim entry or claims procedures, see your Warranty Administrator, refer to Subarunet > Claims & Warranty Administration > Claims Policy and Procedures or contact the SOA Claims Team. 05 Flat Spots and Road Force Tire Balance Some customers may describe a concern of a steering wheel vibration, oscillation, or a “shimmy” condition at highway speeds. This could be cause by many factors including improper tire/wheel balance, excessive radial force variation (RFV), and / or improper tire inflation. Another possibility often overlooked is if the vehicle sits for long periods of time, there is the potential for a “flat spot” to develop on the tire. When faced with a concern like this, start by interviewing the customer and test driving the vehicle to verify the concern. The next step would be a thorough visual inspection of the wheels and tires. Make sure they are properly inflated with no obvious signs of external damage like signs of scuffing/rubbing, sidewall damage or rubber missing, bubbles, excessive wear or cords showing. After this process has been completed, a tire balance check may be necessary. A Hunter GSP 9700 tire balance machine (or newer) is highly recommended when checking for balance and road force. The Hunter machine should be kept in good condition and calibrated regularly to maintain accurate results when checking for an imbalance or RFV. Failure to keep the balancer in proper working order could result in false or incorrect readings when attempting to repair this concern. STIS provides a service limit maximum of 0.18 oz for wheel balance, which is less than a quarter ounce! When performing a Road Force balance, be sure to keep the RFV to 8.0kg (17.6lbs) or less. TSB 05-50-10 is a great place to look for information when a vehicle comes in with a possible tire balance concern. 15 GEOTAB, Fleet Tracking Device GeoTab is a brand name for a device used commonly across many vehicle manufactures and fleet organizations. GeoTab has worked directly with SOA Fleet Sales, to ensure the best possible operation of the device. It is used for several purposes: insurance tracking, fuel mileage logs, maintenance, and for taxes. There are currently no known concerns associated with the use of a GeoTab device on Subaru vehicles. Recently, Techline has been informed that retailers are refusing to diagnose vehicles for conditions if the GeoTab is found to be installed. These conditions vary widely, from Apple CarPlay connectivity to CVT Chain Slip, as being related to the use of the GeoTab device. All conditions reported were later resolved through normal diagnostics when the GeoTab was still installed/connected. The device had no bearing on the conditions presented. The initial refusal to diagnose the vehicle resulted in an easily avoidable poor customer experience for those fleet drivers. Never refuse to diagnose vehicles equipped with GeoTab branded devices. If after performing diagnosis related to the condition, and you believe there may be a concern specifically related to the GeoTab device reach out to Techline for further review. Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 6 of 11 15 GEOTAB, Fleet Tracking Device (CONTINUED) If a vehicle with a GeoTab device is brought into the shop for a concern, simply unplug the OBD portion from the OBD port while any SSM Diagnosis is being completed. If the device is hardwired, and the ODB port is not blocked, there is no need to attempt removal. Perform an All-DTC scan and visual inspection. If a communication code (U0XXX) is found with no obvious signs of failure, e.g. the SSM cannot establish communication with a particular module, diagnosis the concern as it presents. If no clear fault can be found after completing the related Service Manual Diagnosis, only then should it be recommended further testing be performed without the device installed. If the customer concern is for an unrelated system such as Infotainment, HVAC, or an Engine or CVT concern, the proper diagnostic procedure should always be followed. Simply unplug the GeoTab, then duplicate the customer’s concern. GeoTab removal SHOULD NOT be the first recommendation to the customer before attempting duplication of the concern and is not necessary when performing initial diagnosis of the concern. In addition, GeoTab should not cause a DTC B2A15 seen commonly with other OBD devices. The reference TSB 15-257-19R for this condition does not apply to the GeoTab brand devices if the device’s software is up to date. The GeoTab device does not interfere with STARLINK Telematics functionality, even in the rare event a B2A15 is present. If a B2A15 is current, diagnose it per the applicable service manual or TSB. If the root cause of the condition cannot be determined after performing this diagnosis, only then refer the customer back to their fleet provider for assistance with the GeoTab device. If a STARLINK concern is reported that is not B2A15 and a GeoTab OBD extension or device is found in the vehicle, perform an All-DTC scan and determine if a current code is set. Determine if the RED LED on the overhead console is on then reference TSB 15-286-21R (Telematics Diagnostic Strategy). It is highly recommended to perform a test call and speak to a Telematics representative. If still unsure whether the Telematics is experiencing a fault, contact Techline for further assistance and before any part replacement. Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 7 of 11 Keyless Entry Inoperative & Turn-Key Immobilizer Programming Inoperative, Similar Connectors 15 It has been brought to Techline’s attention that some models have identical connectors at the Key Lock solenoid connector and Key Warning switch connector. If these two connectors are interchanged at any point, multiple systems can become inoperative. One of the most likely situations in which this could happen is during an ignition cylinder replacement or RES installation. If the connectors are switched, there are two main concerns the customer could experience. First, the keyless entry will become inoperative because the BIU sees the key warning switch is always active. Second, the key chime does not function at all OR functions continuously even with the key physically removed. It is important to note the keyless entry will only work if the key is out of the ignition. This condition can also affect Immobilizer Registration processes. This is commonly seen when attempting to program additional keys. The Immobilizer must see the key switch to “OFF” when removed from the ignition in order to progress to the next key registration. If the vehicle can only program one key and then times out, check the key switch BIU live data PID. The other BIU live data PID that will need to be inspected is the Key-Lock Warning SW. The Key-Lock Warning SW will never switch to “OFF” if the connectors are installed incorrectly. If this is found to be the case, the next step would be to review the wiring and perform a visual inspection of the connectors. Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 8 of 11 Keyless Entry Inoperative & Turn-Key Immobilizer Programming Inoperative, Similar Connectors (CONTINUED) 15 NOTE: All pictures here are for reference. Different models may have the same connector color. The connectors are the same shape and pin count. It is a recommended practice to mark these wires with tape during disassembly, so reinstallation is correct. A quick reference table has been made below to identify ‘like’ connectors in this situation only. Additional guidance can be found in the “Shift Lock Control System” section on STIS for the vehicle being serviced. It is highly recommended to match the wire colors to the correct connector. Always consult the appropriate service manual on STIS when performing any diagnosis. Vehicle Year Range Connectors are identical shape Outback 2015-up i63 & i52 / i181 & i182 Legacy 2015-up i63 & i52 / i181 & i182 Impreza 2012-up B557 & B555 / i52 & i63 Forester 2014-up B557 & B555 / i52 & i63 Crosstrek 2013-up B557 & B555 / i52 & i63 WRX/STI 2015-up B555 & B555 Ascent 2019-up i63 & i52 Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 9 of 11 00 STIS New Releases ITEM CODE ITEM TYPE TITLE CREATED DATE TIPS0122 TechTIPS NewsLetter 2022 January TechTIPS Newslett… 25-Mar-22 15-246-19R Technical Service Bulletin New Immobilizer Registration P… 22-Mar-22 06-86-22 Technical Service Bulletin Squeaking Sound from Brake Ped… 21-Mar-22 15-192-22R Technical Service Bulletin Infotainment Concern Data Coll… 18-Mar-22 15-192-22R Technical Service Bulletin Infotainment Concern Data Coll… 18-Mar-22 C1010VA001 Accessory Installation Guide PORT INSTALLATION: 2022MY WRX … 16-Mar-22 SOA567R200 Accessory Installation Guide 2019-22MY Ascent Pet Rear Door… 16-Mar-22 SOA567R100 Accessory Installation Guide 2019-22MY Forester Pet Rear Do… 16-Mar-22 F411SSJ020 Accessory Installation Guide 2019-22MY Forester Seat Cover … 16-Mar-22 07-205-22 Technical Service Bulletin Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection … 15-Mar-22 13-104-21 Technical Service Bulletin 2022 MY Paint Coding Informati… 10-Mar-22 16-136-22R Technical Service Bulletin Vibration & Possible Judder Co… 9-Mar-22 18-217-22R Technical Service Bulletin Service Manual Correction / DT… 9-Mar-22 06-84-22 Technical Service Bulletin DTC B2809- VDC Abnormal & B2C2… 7-Mar-22 L9020BE Service Manual 2022MY WRX Body Repair Manual 7-Mar-22 09-83-21R Technical Service Bulletin 3.6L Water Pump-Design Change … 7-Mar-22 15-293-22 Technical Service Bulletin Remote Climate Control Operati… 4-Mar-22 15-240-19R Technical Service Bulletin New Harman Audio Amplifiers 2-Mar-22 09-80-21 Technical Service Bulletin DTC # P2682 & P26Ax** / Thermo… 28-Feb-22 12-234-22 Technical Service Bulletin Body Repair Manual Correction 28-Feb-22 J121SAN500 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY Outback Exterior Graphi… 28-Feb-22 J121SAN200 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY Outback Exterior Graphi… 28-Feb-22 J121SAN100 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY Outback Exterior Graphi… 28-Feb-22 01-175-16 Technical Service Bulletin E-Mailing Files to Techline an… 28-Feb-22 06-85-22 Technical Service Bulletin Rear Stabilizer Bar / Design C… 23-Feb-22 WRL-21 Subaru Product/Campaign Bulletin Front Axle Housings 23-Feb-22 15-255-19R Technical Service Bulletin Map Data Update Procedure for … 22-Feb-22 C1010VA001 Accessory Installation Guide PORT INSTALLATION: 2022MY WRX … 22-Feb-22 15-234-18R Technical Service Bulletin 2019 Audio/Navigation & Power … 21-Feb-22 WRE-21R Subaru Product/Campaign Bulletin Ignition Coil Replacement 21-Feb-22 MSA5B2205A Owner Manual 2022MY WRX Getting Started Gui… 18-Feb-22 15-291-22 Technical Service Bulletin Gen1 Telematics DCM Replacemen… 18-Feb-22 MSA5M2210A Owner Manual 2022MY WRX Subaru STARLINK® Ow… 18-Feb-22 MSA5M2215A Owner Manual 2022MY WRX Eyesight Owner’s Ma… 18-Feb-22 MSA5M2205A Owner Manual 2022MY WRX Owner’s Manual 18-Feb-22 07-204-22 Technical Service Bulletin Tentative Select Monitor Proce… 18-Feb-22 H505SSJ000 Accessory Installation Guide PORT INSTALLATION: 2022MY Fore… 18-Feb-22 All revised publications are highlighted in yellow. Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 10 of 11 ITEM CODE ITEM TYPE TITLE CREATED DATE E7210VC200 Accessory Installation Guide PORT INSTALLATION: 2022MY WRX … 18-Feb-22 J121SVC000 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – Carbon Fiber Trun… 18-Feb-22 H101SSJ000 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY Forester Long Range Pus… 18-Feb-22 15-192-22 Technical Service Bulletin Infotainment Concern Data Coll… 16-Feb-22 12-233-22 Technical Service Bulletin Squeak Sound During Front Wind… 11-Feb-22 05-75-20R Technical Service Bulletin Front Coil Spring- Design Chan… 10-Feb-22 16-132-20R Technical Service Bulletin Diagnostic Information for All… 8-Feb-22 06-83-22 Technical Service Bulletin VDC Reprogramming File Availab… 8-Feb-22 16-125-19R Technical Service Bulletin CVT Oil Pan- Design Change 3-Feb-22 16-138-22R Technical Service Bulletin DTC P0613 – TCM Processor 3-Feb-22 E721SAN031XX Accessory Installation Guide 2020-2022MY Legacy – Trunk Spo… 2-Feb-22 TSG 900MHz KS Troubleshooting Guide Remote Engine Start Systems Tr… 2-Feb-22 Service Diagnostics 2022 WRX Service Manual VH 2-Feb-22 09-85-22 Technical Service Bulletin Front Exhaust Pipe Cover Repla… 1-Feb-22 15-261-20R Technical Service Bulletin Reprogramming File Availabilit… 28-Jan-22 SUTTIPSLOC Other/Miscellaneous TechTIPS Article Locator Index… 25-Jan-22 00 STIS New Releases (CONTINUED) All revised publications are highlighted in yellow. Continued on the next page February 2022 TechTIPS Page 11 of 11 *** Now you can e-mail your TechTIPS input and suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org *** SUBARU TECHLINE Monday – Thursday 8:30 am to 7:30 pm Hours of Operation Friday 10:30 am to 5 pm and Saturday 9 am to 3 pm This is your chance to offer suggestions for use in future issues of TechTIPS! Make sure that if you e-mail us, you place in the subject line of your e-mail “For TechTIPS Newsletter”. Thank you! Model: Year: VIN: Description of situation encountered: Your suggestion for repair procedure, product improvements, etc.: Please attach separate sheets, if necessary. You may also want to include Service Manual diagrams or references, or your own drawings to assist in describing your suggestion. All information submitted becomes the property of Subaru of America, Inc. Permission is granted to Subaru of America, Inc. to print your name and suggestions in TechTIPS and other Subaru of America, Inc. publications. Mail items to: PO Box 9103; Camden, NJ 08101-9877. Your Name: Signature: Dealer’s Name: City: Date: Dealer Code: