APPLICABILITY: 2011MY and later Forester
SUBJECT: Ice and Snow Clogging of Evaporative System Hoses DTC P1449
This Service Bulletin provides a repair method for DTC P1449 which can occur should ice and snow clog the evaporative emission system hoses and / or the drain separator. Although this condition is rare, it can occur during heavy snow conditions when combined with extended periods of highway driving. The repair involves removal of the drain separator and installation of an evaporative hose kit which prevents recurrence of the condition. Should DTC P1449 set at a time when snow and ice is not an issue, follow the diagnostic procedure for the code in the applicable Service Manual.
Parts Kit, part no. 42009SC000, contents shown in Figure 1 below.
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
- Remove the right rear tire and wheel assembly, mud flap (if equipped) and rear portion of the inner splash guard covering the filler neck.
- Disconnect the drain separator shown in the photo below from the drain hose.
- Remove and discard the drain separator and mounting bracket assembly.
Use Figure 2 above as a reference when performing the following steps of the kit installation.
- In place of the drain separator, connect the long end of the straight hose to the drain hose using a joint pipe.
- Wrap a rubber sheet around the straight hose. Center the sheet on the white mark supplied on the straight hose then secure the hose to the fuel tank flange hole using one of the tie-wraps.
(Extras of the rubber sheets are likely to be included in the kit.)
- After wrapping the straight hose where indicated by the white marks and the filler pipe in the corresponding locations, secure the straight hose to the filler pipe as shown in Figure 2.
- Connect the short end of the straight hose to the end of the shaped hose that is opposite of the location mark using the other joint pipe.
- Wrap the connection (and the filler pipe) with a rubber sheet and secure it with a tie wrap as
shown in Figure 3 below.
- Temporarily reinstall the splash guard and confirm there is no interference between any of the new hoses and other components. Reposition the hoses as needed for adequate clearance.
- Complete the reinstallation of the splash guard, mud flap, and wheel assembly.
- Clear the ECM memory to complete the repair.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, this repair may be claimed using the following information.
|LABOR DESCRIPTION||LABOR OPERATION #||FAIL|
|REPAIR FOR ICE & SNOW CLOGGING DRAIN SEPARATOR||A458-216||DCV-48||0.8|