|SUBJECT:||Error Code 202 and / or 204 Generated During Gen 2 Telematics Subscription Process|
When attempting to complete the STARLINK Telematics subscription process, an Error Code 202 and / or 204 may occur preventing the process from completing successfully. These codes both relate to the multi-stage CommCheck process which introduces the Data Communications Module (DCM) to the AT&T cellular network the Telematics system operates on. The Telematics Service Provider (TSP) cannot communicate with the vehicle (DCM) until the CommCheck completes successfully.
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION:
All DCMs have the CommCheck process completed during Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) at either the factory end-of-line or the ports. CommCheck is then confirmed at the Retailer during their PDI.
The following factors should be considered as potential causes of the current condition (error codes). One of the possible causes listed below (e.g. DCM was swapped) will require review of the vehicle history since receipt at the allocated Retailer.
- CommCheck was not completed successfully.
- DCM has lost power and / or ground connection.
- DCM is unable to establish network connection to complete CommCheck.
- DCM was swapped between this vehicle and some other(s). DCM is now disabled.
- Local conditions preventing network communications (no clear cellular signal available).
- Network conditions preventing communication (DCM sim not recognized or otherwise prevented from making network connection).
- Failure of data flow between DCM Vendor, AT&T, SOA, TSP, or some combination thereof.
Error Code 202: User sees (actual error message contents): “Successful CommCheck notification for this vehicle has not been received. Please have your Service Department confirm CommCheck has been completed. Reference bulletin 15-219-18R (Error Code: 202)”.
- The Technician / Service Department should interpret this as: Potential CommCheck failure (Never initiated or Failed Early in Process).
Error Code 204: User sees: “Basic Provisioning Set Up process failed for this VIN. Please inform your Service Department and reference bulletin 15-219-18R (Error Code: 204)”.
- The Technician / Service Department should interpret this as: Potential CommCheck failure (Late Process Failure).
Step 1. Turn the ignition ON- (Key ON/ Engine OFF) and turn the headlamps OFF. Note which of the STARLINK Telematics lamp(s) are ON (illuminated) or OFF (not illuminated). There are two lamps, one GREEN and one RED in between the SOS and “i” buttons.
Note the lamp status here.
Step 2. Lamp Status:
a. If BOTH lamps are OFF, press the SOS or “i” button briefly. Do you hear the prerecorded message “Not currently subscribed to STARLINK please visit mySubaru.com to upgrade your service”?
i. If YES, note that the DCM has been Com Checked and proceed to Step 4.
ii. If NO, Check and diagnose any applicable DTC(s). If communication is not possible, follow applicable Service Manual procedures then proceed back to Step 1. Cause may be a possible power / ground / DCM / button and / or wiring failure.
b. If BOTH lamps are ON, possible communications failure. Check DTC(s) and follow applicable Service Manual procedures. Proceed back to Step 1.
c. If the RED lamp (only) is ON, note possible internal DCM failure. Check DTC(s) and follow applicable Service Manual procedures. Proceed back to Step 1.
d. If the GREEN lamp (only) is ON, press the BLUE i-Call Do you hear the prerecorded message, “Not currently subscribed to STARLINK please visit mySubaru.com to upgrade your service” or does a STARLINK operator answer?
i. If pre-recorded message is played, the DCM is Com Checked but not provisioned. Jump ahead to Step 3.
ii. If a STARLINK operator answers, inform them this is a test and end the call. Wait 1 minute. Press the “SOS” button and confirm if a Emergency Support operator answers.
1. If an Emergency Support operator answers, inform them this is a test and end the call. The vehicle is successfully provisioned and no further action is needed. Inspection procedure is complete. Skip ahead to Step 4.
2. If an Emergency Support operator does not answer, Proceed to Step 3.
iii. If pre-recorded message is NOT heard AND operator does not answer, perform CommCheck proceed back to Step 1.
Step 3. Collect 10 seconds of DCM data using SSM4.
a. Confirm the VIN in DCM data matches the vehicle VIN.
b. Note the subscription status as shown by the SSM4 data (e.g. Com Check / Subscribed / Unsubscribed). If other than these, list it here _________________.
c. Note the MSISDN if populated.
d. Contact SOA Technical Helpline for assistance. Have all the above material and data available for review. When Techline is contacted, the Technician should be prepared to e-mail the SSM4 Project file if requested.
Step 4. If all vehicle-side checks are successful, Retailer personnel responsible for the subscription / enrollment process should attempt the enrollment process again. If same Error Code(s) continue to set, proceed to Step 5. If enrollment is successful- DONE.
Step 5. If vehicle side checks have found the DCM to have been successfully CommChecked but the enrollment will still not complete and same error code(s) is generated, contact 1-800-SOA-STAR for further assistance as there may be a possible data flow concern.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION:
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period or covered by an active Subaru Added Security Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|Labor Description||Labor Operation #||Labor
|2019MY ASCENT TELEMATICS COM CHECK||A067-903||0.4||ZRT-85|
|TELEMATICS DATA COMMUNICATION MODULE R&R||B067-901||0.5||ZQQ-43|
|TELEMATICS SYSTEM TESTING & DIAGNOSIS||C067-900||0.4|
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.