June 26, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V493000
In the event of a crash, the reduced strength of the vehicle body may increase the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V493
Manufacturer Subaru of America, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,107
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2019 Legacy and Outback vehicles. Spot welds located on the duct below the cowl panel may have been improperly applied, impacting the vehicle’s body strength.
Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles and repair or repurchase the vehicle, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin July 26, 2019. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru’s number for this recall is WUH-93.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|APPLICABILITY:||2019MY Legacy and Outback|
|SUBJECT:||Front Duct Panel Spot Weld|
This cowl duct component inspection procedure consists of two parts, Part A and Part B.
- Review this procedure thoroughly before proceeding.
- Retailers are to perform ONLY the Part A inspection procedure outlined below on all affected vehicles. The purpose of the Part A inspection is to identify those vehicles needing the Part B inspection and possible further repair action. The Part B inspection is NOT the Retailer’s responsibility.
- A completed QMR must be submitted IMMEDIATELY after completing the Part A inspection procedure for EVERY affected vehicle (pass or fail) with the required photos attached.
NOTE: The Part B inspection is not necessary on vehicles that pass the Part A inspection procedure.
PART A: Cowl Duct Part Type Determination
- Open Driver’s door.
- Release the hood and close the driver’s door.
- Open the hood and prop it open securely.
- Remove both front wiper arms.
Wiper Arm Removal
1) Remove the cover ‐ windshield wiper arm.
2) Remove the nuts, and remove the arm assembly ‐ windshield wiper.
Since the arm assembly ‐ windshield wiper LH and RH can interfere with each other, remove the driver’s side first.
- CAREFULLY remove the plastic cowl trim panels.
Cowl Trim Panel Removal
2) Remove the cover ‐ front fender UPR.
- Remove the clip.
- Release the claws by pulling them forward, and remove the cover ‐ front fender UPR.
Forcibly removing the part may cause creases.
3) Remove the cowl panel ‐ side.
(1) Remove the clips.
(2) Release the claws, and then remove the cowl panel ‐ side.
Pulling with excessive force may damage the cowl panel ‐ side. If it is difficult to remove, use a plastic remover or equivalent tool.
4) Remove the cowl panel assembly.
- Before removing the cowl panel, use an air blower and nylon brush to sweep gravel from the lower area of the front side of the glass.
- When removing the clip (b), push the claws of the clip first.
(1) Be careful not to apply excessive force when pulling the clip (b), as the clip may become damaged.
(2) Remove the clips (a).
(3) Check the direction of the clip (b), and push the claws from both sides to remove it.
(4) Remove the cowl panel assembly by pulling it out towards the front of the vehicle.
(5) Disconnect the washer hose.
- Models without EyeSight
- Models with EyeSight
- With the cowl trim panel removed, use the photos below to determine if the vehicle is equipped with an A Jig or B Jig part. The B Jig part has an identification weld to distinguish it from the A Jig part.
HOW TO DETERMINE IF THE INSTALLED PART IS “A JIG” OR “B JIG”
- If the cowl area inspection reveals an A JIG part, the vehicle is OK. STOP, take a clear photo of this area and the VIN plate at the base of the “B” pillar. Reinstall all the removed parts in reverse order to prepare the vehicle for sale. Proceed to Step 8.
CRITICAL: If the cowl area inspection reveals a B JIG part, THE VEHICLE IS NG AND MUST BE HELD WHILE DETERMINING THE NEXT COURSE OF ACTION. Do not reassemble the vehicle. Proceed to 8. below.
- SPECIAL PART A INSPECTION RESULT PROCESSING INSTRUCTIONS:
A completed QMR MUST be submitted immediately with one photo clearly showing the Part A, Jig A/B inspection point AND a photo of the VIN plate located at the bottom of the “B” pillar for ALL affected vehicles (pass or fail). Use the photos above as examples for the inspection point photos.
IMPORTANT: A COMPLETED QMR MUST BE SUBMITTED IMMEDIATELY WITH THE TWO (2) PHOTOS ATTACHED AND REVIEWED BY THE SOA CLAIMS TEAM BEFORE ANY VEHICLE CAN BE RELEASED FOR SALE.
- If an A Jig part is identified, the vehicle is OK. Enter a completed QMR immediately using fail code IZB85 and attach the corresponding photos of the part and VIN plate. IMPORTANT: Include information in the QMR for the point of contact person a SOA Claims Team member should speak with to review further instructions.
- If a B Jig, part is identified, the vehicle is NG and cannot be released for sale. Submit a completed QMR immediately using Fail Code IYB00 and attach the corresponding photos clearly showing the part and the VIN plate. CONTACT YOUR SOA FIELD SERVICE ENGINEER (FSE) TO ARRANGE THE REQUIRED PART B Tag and HOLD the vehicle. IMPORTANT: Include information in the QMR for the point of contact person a SOA representative should speak with to coordinate the inspection.
CLAIM REIMBURSEMENT AND ENTRY PROCEDURES:
REMINDER: A completed QMR must be received and reviewed by the SOA Claims Team
BEFORE a claim can be submitted for this inspection. This bulletin will be revised with additional details as they become available.
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.
2 Affected Products
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
NHTSA ID Number: 10163012
Manufacturer Communication Number: WUH-93
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2019 model year Legacy and Outback vehicles, due to a potential spot weld issue on the duct located below the cowl panel. As a result, these vehicles may fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. A total of 2,107 U.S. vehicles will be affected by this recall.
Date: June 24, 2019
NHTSA ID Number: 10163015
Manufacturer Communication Number: WUH-93R
The purpose of this bulletin is to provide a cowl duct component inspection procedure.
- EASY TO USE-140 FC-I MIG machine uses 0.30 in. or 0.35 in. flux core wire. It has infinite voltage and wire feed speed control so you can dial in the perfect weld! Perfect entry level welder
- POWERFUL- Up to 140 Amp output that allows you to weld mild steel up to 1/4 in plate
- PORTABLE WELDER- Lightweight 19 lbs. easily carried to any Do-It-Yourself, Maintenance, Repair, Metal Fabrication and Hobbyist project
- RUGGED- All metal case, Built to take the day to day. Big enough to handle 2 and 10 pound rolls of wire
- WELDER INCLUDES- 8' MIG gun, 8' ground clamp, Integrated handle with torch wrap and a 20A-15A adapter. Backed by a 12-month warranty
- NO REACTION WELDER - Uses convenient flux-cored wire to self-release metal inert gas while welding, preventing oxidation of the welded part. A great choice for home repairs and hobby projects on light gauge steel
- WELDING PROCESS - This welding machine is particularly suitable for mild steel and stainless steel. It will enable you to obtain a professional finish in welding, auto body work, and many other thin steel welding processes
- ADJUSTABLE WELDING SPEED - Features 4 levels of current flow settings. By adjusting the 4 buttons for MIN/MAX,1/2 with the variable feed control which has 10 welding speeds, this welder makes it easy to tackle thin steel, stainless or aluminum sheet metal or thicker steel with flux-cored welding
- PORTABLE DESIGN - Lightweight and compact design. Comes with a comfortable hand grip, making it easy for you to carry anywhere you want
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED - Package includes all the accessories you need to weld like a pro. 1 welding gun with on/off safety control, 1 grounding clamp, 1 welding helmet, 1 welding wire brush and several other small accessories
- Compact, portable and lightweight construction
- Continuous wire feed speed adjustment
- Ideal for welding mild steel from 24 gauge to 1/8" thick
- Dual-voltage (115V/230V) with MVP plug makes the unit easy to find a place to plug it in.
- Welds 24 ga. to 3/8 in. steel in a single pass
- 7 voltage settings which help fine tune for precision welding
- Duty cycle - 115V 20% at 90 amps; 230V 30% at 150 amps
- Quick change drive roll system - no tools required
- Gasless flux core welding only
- Welds 24 gauge up to 1/4 inch
- 120 volt input and 125 amp output
- Accepts 2 and 10 pound spools
- Click on the (BY FORNEY) name above in blue under the title to view our full catalog of Welders, Abrasives, Chain/Wire Rope, Tools and more!
- Aluminum Wire Feeder-The durable high quality aluminum wire feeder offers a much more stable and better welding experience.
- 2T/4T-2T(Manual)/4T(Semi-auto) switch is now available; you can release your finger for long time welding job.
- More Precisely--Customer can adjust the wire feeder speed and welding voltage more precisely with the 2 digital displayers. new designed ground cable quick connector.
- Rated Output--140-amp MIG welder; mild/stainless steel: 24 gauge - 3/16"; input voltage: 110/120v; it can be easily connected to your existing 110/120v wall outlet.
- Multi Use--Welding stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum (with a spool gun, not include in the package, need to purchase separate) and other metal materials.
- Welds 24 ga. to 5/16in. steel in single pass
- Powerful and Professional Results. Operates on 230V power
- 25 to 190 output amperage
- 7 voltage selections, enhanced magnetics and infinite wire feed speed control offers easier fine control of the output parameters for improved arc performance with less spatter
- 30% duty cycle @ 130 Amps
- Allows you to weld up to 3/16 in. (4.8 mm) steel with flux-cored wire.
- Provides a broad operating window for each wire, with quick and easy adjustment for different thicknesses and joints.
- Offers you flexibility to use small or large spools of wire to better suit your welding needs.
- Eases use and excellent safety feature which makes wire electrically "cold" until trigger is pulled.
- Positive feed with adjustable tension Plus easy accessibility to thread new wire.
- 【Household smart welder compact and exquisite MIG Gas welder, made of heavy duty stainless steel body, painted with durable yellow paints, ensure its long-last serving life-span.
- 【Flux-cored wire, no gas welder uses convenient flux-cored wire, self release metal-inert Gas while welding, prevent oxidation of the welded part.
- 【4 levels adjustable welding speed features 4 levels of current flow settings, by adjusting the 4 buttons for min/max, 1/2. Also features a wire feeding speed adjust rotary knob. 10 levels of wire feeding speeds for your choice.
- 【Portable design & wide applications It is perfect for welding normal thin steel and iron, perfect for home DIY and general repairing work. Mini size but also practical, it will obtain a professional finish in welding. Features a easy carrying handle, light weight, compact design, Easy for translation and storage. Very convenient, can be used anywhere U need.
- 【Many complimentary necessities two air-vent on the machine to help heat dissipation. The welding gun with full on/ off safety control. Standard American triangle ground cord and automatic thermal safety protection. Comes with a reel of 0. 9mm, 0. 55lbs welding wire, a protection mask and a brush/chipping hammer.
- SUPER DEAL MIG130 Welder is a top of the line household welder that is lightweight, powerful and intuitive. Made of high-class PVC material as well as delicate treatment, this welding machine integrates comfortable grip, easy operation and high precision.
- Uses convenient Flux - Cored wire, self release metal-inert gas while welding, prevent oxidation of the welded part.
- User-friendly interface - Makes set-up a snap with easy to access advanced options. SUPER DEAL mig130 gives you the power to tackle the biggest jobs with ease and confidence. Ready to weld out of the box.
- Variable Feed Speed Control - Easily adjust current flow by adjusting the 4 buttons for MIN/MAX,1/2. Also features a wire feeding speed adjust rotary knob. 10 levels of wire feeding speeds for your choice. Torch With Full On / Off Safety Control
- Compact and powerful - Weighs only 38 lbs. deal for shop, home or field use. Perfect for welding mild steel and stainless steel. Comes with a reel of 0.9mm, 0.55lbs welding wire, a protection mask and a brush/Chipping Hammer. 2.5M Torch, xtra 2 Tips and Ground Cord. Just what you're looking for, right?
Last update on 2019-10-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-10-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API