NHTSA ID Number: 10168621
Manufacturer Communication Number: Subaru technical
The all-new 2020 Outback/Legacy line has adopted a new Gen4 infotainment system to support the audio/navigation features. Also referred to as Cockpit Gen1 (CP1), it is manufactured by Denso and consists of two modules: a Cockpit Control Unit (CCU) and a dual 7″ display Audio unit or a 11.6″ Audio/Navigation display system also known as the Center Information Display (CID). We have already received some great feedback from the field reflecting the technological advancements and ease of operation. In addition, we have noted some operational differences compared to the Gen 3 / 3.1 Harman systems.
2 Affected Products
Subaru Service and Technical Support Line Newsletter
The Subaru TechTIPS newsletter is intended for use by professional Technicians ONLY. Articles
are written to inform those Technicians of conditions that may occur in some vehicles, or to
provide information that could assist in the proper servicing of the vehicle. Properly trained
Technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do the job correctly
and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that your vehicle has or will have that
condition. Impreza, Legacy, Justy, Loyale, Outback, Forester, Subaru SVX, WRX, WRX STI,
Baja, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek and “Quality Driven” are Registered Trademarks.
ISO 14001 is the international standard for
excellence in Environmental Management
Systems. Please recycle or dispose of
automotive products in a manner that is
friendly to our environment and in accordance
with all local, state and federal laws and
CAUTION: VEHICLE SERVICING PERFORMED BY UNTRAINED PERSONS
COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY TO THOSE PERSONS OR TO OTHERS.
SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. IS
ISO 14001 COMPLIANT
10 2020 OUTBACK/LEGACY COCKPIT GEN1 INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM: HELPFUL OPERATING TIPS
The all-new 2020 Outback/Legacy line has adopted a new Gen4 infotainment system to support
the audio/navigation features. Also referred to as Cockpit Gen1 (CP1), it is manufactured by
Denso and consists of two modules: a Cockpit Control Unit (CCU) and a dual 7” display Audio
unit or a 11.6” Audio/Navigation display system also known as the Center Information Display
(CID). We have already received some great feedback from the field reflecting the technological
advancements and ease of operation. In addition, we have noted some operational differences
compared to the Gen 3 / 3.1 Harman systems. Some of the topics reported so far include:
During Navigation operation, the map orientation can be changed between 2D north-up, 2D
heading-up and 3D.
2D north-up 2D heading-up 3D heading-up
It should be noted the map orientation defaults to 2D north-up, 2 mile scale whenever the ignition
key is cycled off-on. This is a normal operating characteristic.
©2019 Subaru of America, Inc. All rights reserved.
CONTINUED ON THE NEXT PAGE
Special Edition TechTIPS Page 1 of 8
NAVI Does Not Show Correct Location:
It is possible during Delivery Mode for the NAVI GPS display to show Manhattan, NY location all the
time. This is a default setting for GPS in this mode. Other indicators of Delivery Mode are the arrow
is gray color and clock is off. If a customer presents with this concern, confirm the PDI fuse is in the
delivery position and not open.
Following Delivery Mode or Memory Initialization
(map icon is gray)
(map icon is blue/green)
After the PDI Fuse is moved, the GPS starts receiving a signal to update the map to the current
location. As soon as the GPS receives the current location, the map icon will turn cyan (blue/green)
and the clock resets.
Please note, the syncing process time varies depending on the available GPS signal strength.
Driving the vehicle (while avoiding frequent direction changes) for a few miles will expedite the
Artwork Appearance on the Center Information Display:
It is a normal characteristic for the SXM station artwork to disappear from the Cockpit Gen1 (CP1)
Gen4 infotainment system CID when the vehicle is in motion.
Artwork is displayed when stopped or parked Artwork is NOT displayed when moving
Special Edition TechTIPS Page 2 of 8
This behavior occurs when using all audio sources including Bluetooth streaming and Media.
Please explain to customers this is a normal operating characteristic intended to reduce distraction.
Replacing the head unit will not change this characteristic.
Engine Auto Start-Stop Operation:
The Auto Start-Stop feature operates automatically to save gasoline and reduce emissions when
the vehicle is stopped. However, there may be times when this feature needs to be deactivated.
Follow the sequence provided below to deactivate Auto Start-Stop:
1. Touch the Vehicle Icon on the Home screen
2. Touch the Others tab on top
3. Move the Auto Start-Stop slider to OFF.
NOTE: Auto Start-Stop always defaults to ON whenever the ignition key is cycled off-on.
Sound Output Delay Following the Cockpit Gen1 (CP1) Reboot
During the reboot function of the Cockpit Gen1 (CP1) Gen4 infotainment system (following ignition
Off/On), multiple functions are being configured: Telematics system, Audio system, HVAC system,
Combination Meter Display, Center Information Display, mobile application functions and the
Navigation system (where applicable). NOTE: Tasks and operations dedicated to safety are given
the highest priority. This is the reason why operation of some controls like turning of the volume
knob or touch display might appear out of sync and have small amount of lag. The same applies
to the sound output having a slight delay following the system reboot. This is a normal operating
Special Edition TechTIPS Page 3 of 8
Voice Recognition (VR) Operation When Using the CarPlay or Android Auto Application
When using the CarPlay / Android Auto application, it is important to note a short press (quick
press/ release) of the Talk switch on the steering wheel to start the VR system invokes the native
on-board VR application, not Siri or Google. This is different behavior from the Harman Gen
3 Head Unit. This is done to allow the use of VR for HVAC or media options control, while the
CarPlay/ Android Auto application is launched on CP1. This detail is important to keep in mind
when using the VR feature for functions like voice to call or voice to text.
For example, due to the CarPlay protocols, placing a call using the native on-board VR by calling a
contact name isn’t possible. When CarPlay is active, a long press of the Talk button will activate
Siri and allow calls to be made using the phone’s contact list. Alternatively, calls can be made using
the native on-board VR when prompted, by speaking the desired phone number.
To recap, when CarPlay or Android Auto are in use, placing handsfree phone calls using contact
names is not possible using the native VR system. When CarPlay or Android Auto are active, a
short press of the Talk button activates only the native VR system which can be used for HVAC and
When using CarPlay or Android Auto, a long press of the Talk button will activate Siri / Google
Assistant to allow their use in making handsfree calls using the phone’s contacts.
The native VR can only be used to call contacts, when CarPlay or Android are NOT in use unless
the customer chooses to dial by phone number rather than by contact..
REMINDER: To start Siri / Google Assistant, while using CarPlay / Android Auto press and HOLD
(long press) the Talk switch on the steering wheel.
On-board Voice Recognition Activated Siri Activated
The same is true when using the voice to text function. To start Siri/ Google Assistant, press and
HOLD the Talk switch on the steering wheel. This will initiate change-over from the native on-board
VR system to Siri / Google.
Special Edition TechTIPS Page 4 of 8
Android Auto Volume Adjustment:
There are instances while using Android Auto when the audio volume intermittently cannot be
adjusted. Instead, the notification volume is being adjusted when the volume control knob is used
as shown below.
This condition can occur because Android Auto operation is being prioritized over the Cockpit Gen1
(CP1) Gen 4 infotainment system. This condition is temporary and will clear eventually. To expedite
clearing and regain faster volume control for the audio source, there are some work arounds. One
option is to relaunch Android Auto by disconnecting and reconnecting the phone to the CP1 system
or short press the Talk button to start the native VR and say “cancel” after the beep is heard. The
procedure from the Owner’s Manual regarding sound output shown below can also be used.
Replacement of the head unit will not prevent this condition from occurring. Always confirm the
customer has the latest Android Auto and Google application updates installed on their device as
regular enhancements are released to ensure the best experience when using Android Auto.
Special Edition TechTIPS Page 5 of 8
Android Auto launch
NOTE: The vehicle has to be parked and the parking brake (EPB) has to be on, in order to complete
initial pairing process between the Cockpit Gen1 (CP1) Gen 4 infotainment system and a phone
running Android Auto application. When connecting a phone to the USB port, please follow the
messages displayed on CP1 CID and the phone. See below an example.
It is a good practice to confirm an undamaged genuine cable to connect the phone as well as the
phone is properly set up to accept connection with a new vehicle.
CP1 system Phone
Android Auto Connection Failure
Reports have been received regarding a communication error message
displayed on the phone as shown below.
When this message is displayed on the phone after connection to
the Cockpit Gen1 (CP1) Gen 4 infotainment system, the Android Auto
application fails to launch. Investigation has shown the source of
this error is on the phone side and could be resolved by re-syncing
communication disconnecting and reconnecting the phone. The
communication error number (12 shown in the example) is irrelevant.
Please explain this to the customer, when reviewing a similar issue.
Replacing the head unit will not resolve this condition as it is not the
cause of the error. It is a good practice to confirm an undamaged
genuine cable is being used to connect the phone as well as the phone
is properly set up to accept connection with a new vehicle.
Special Edition TechTIPS Page 6 of 8
Phonebook Contacts Download and Favorites:
There has been some confusion regarding the phone contact
transfer process. When assisting with questions about the
phonebook download process, start by verifying the option is
enabled in the Cockpit Gen1 (CP1) Gen 4 infotainment system
using the following screen shots as a guide.
Home -> Settings-> Phone-> Phonebook/Recent Calls
If the customer still cannot access the phonebook or messages,
check the phone’s Bluetooth settings to ensure all related sharing
settings are enabled.
Select the gear icon next to your
vehicle device name. Ensure all
settings are enabled.
Select Bluetooth setting, then under “MY DEVICES”
click on the “i” symbol next to connected device to
confirm “Sync Contacts” and “Show Notifications”
options are enabled as shown below. It is strongly
recommended to restart the vehicle to finalize the
pairing process and ensure all devices are in sync.
The system can store up to 2000 phone numbers. The total number of phonebook contacts
transferred from the phone would be equal or less because it depends on the amount of data each
contact contains (multiple phone numbers, address, email, etc.).
As for Favorites, remember the CP1 system’s Favorites list and that of the paired phone are not
synchronized. The Bluetooth phone’s favorite list will not be downloaded automatically even after
the phonebook data has been downloaded from the Bluetooth phone. The customer must manually
register the contacts in the Favorite list. The maximum number of Favorite contacts is 15.
Special Edition TechTIPS Page 7 of 8
Playback of the Audio Files Using A USB Memory Device:
The USB Audio playback screen can be accessed by using the
Media icon on the home screen.
There are no restrictions for the brand or size of the USB Memory
device. All work with the CP1 system as long as they meet
• USB communication formats: USB 2.0 LS (1.5 Mbps)/FS (12
Mbps)/HS (480 Mbps)
• File formats: FAT 32
• Supported file extensions: m4a/aac, mp3, wma, wav, flac,
m4a (it is recommended to remove from the USB memory
device all files in the format not supported by the CP1
NOTE: Either front USB port is able to playback audio files. In case two USB memory devices are
connected, the one connected first will be used by the system for playback operation.
QMR to Document Infotainment Concerns:
Please remember to enter QMRs to report infotainment concerns. This will help us to analyze the root
cause and prepare timely countermeasures when applicable. Of course, it is very important to provide
as much as detail as possible accurately when describing the concern. Start by selecting the correct
Fail Code. As a convenience, applicable codes and description are listed below.
Fail Part ID Fail Code Description
ZTF Base Level Center Information Display
ZTR Mid/High Level Center Information Display
ZTG Base Level Cockpit Control Module
ZTS Mid Level Cockpit Control Module
ZTH High Level Cockpit Control Module
This information is also available from the Labor Time Guide or from Warranty Administrator. Thank
you in advance for your cooperation.
Special Edition TechTIPS Page 8 of 8
- PRECISE FIT：Specialized for 2019 Ascent Starlink 8-Inch navigation screen.
- MULTIPLE DEFENCE TECHNOLOGY. Reinforced glass for twice as much strength as non-tempered alternatives and effective resistance against scratches and fingerprints.
- HD& SMOOTH Touch Feeling,so easy to clean, just gentle wipe.
- CLEAR AND CRISP VISUALS. Installing the screen cover will not affect the color, icon size and touch screen capabilities of your GPS display. It will only keep it safe from dust, scratches, oil, and water etc.
- ENJOY HASSLE-FREE CLEANING. To keep your GPS screen protector clear and dust-free, simply wipe it with a microfiber cloth. No need to use harmful cleaning substances.
- 1.Operation System: Fit for Subaru WRX 2016 2017 2018 without harmon kardon sound system. Android 9.0 Oreo OS, enlarged room with 4GB RAM+32GB ROM, Rock Chip PX5, Octa-Core 64Bit CPU Processor ensure faster speed and more fluent experience.
- 2. Unique Design: Support factory steer wheel control, and factory rear camera. Special new UI make the driver operate the unit more convenient. Split screen mode allow the driver run two APP side by side. DEMO video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL8NZqJ1Y2o&feature=youtu.be
- 3.Audio-visual Functions: Giant 9 inch display with 1024*600 high resolution. EQ Settings with the 9-band graphic equalizer, NXP6686 radio chip and TDA7850L Amplifier chip equipped, which could provide you the best sound quality. Max Audio output: 4*50W max.
- 4.Compatible Functions: Support Google Play and multiple languages. Support steering wheel control and Rear view Reverse Camera with RCA connector. Support mirroring Link for iphone Airplay and android phone easy-connect. Support subwoofer output and Bluetooth for hand free call and music. It equipped with external microphone, build In wifi, USB ports, On/off line maps and dual satellite positioning system. Optional function are 3G/4G dongle, TV turner and DVR device.
- 5.What You Get: Free 8G memory card. ISO cable is included. GPS Map installed in advance. Friendly customer service, lifetime software update.
- Anti-explosion: It can prevent the breakage and flying of glass panel caused by collision, reduce the hidden damage of glass panel, and ensure the safety of users.At the same time prevent accidental scratches, affect the navigation screen beautiful.
- High Definition：Ultra-thin and transparent, also easy to clean, Is the route blurred? Our film can help you solve this problem, so that your car can achieve high definition atmosphere, flexible and durable touch.
- Touch Sensitivity：The surface is made of high-resolution nano-coating, which has a smooth touch and sensitive touch. If you touch the original screen, it will not affect the use.
- Easy to Clean：Water-repellent and oil-repellent layer, the toughened film contains oil-repellent waterproof layer. When the screen is dirty, it can be recovered by wiping gently.
- Scratch Resistance :Glass, with a surface hardness of 9H, is effective against collisions and friction with hard objects to better protect your screen.
- High Quality Anti Glare and Anti Finger Print Screen Protector from Japan (3 Pack)
- Installation kit (Cleaning Cloth, Dust remover and Plastic Squeegee Card) is included
- This Universal Car Screen Protector needs to be trimmed to fit your car's navigation system
- Screen Protector Sheet Dimensions: 8 x 7 inches
- Online Video Tutorial will Guide you through the installation process
- Water-Repellent and Oil-Repellent：Easy to clean, water-repellent and oil-repellent layer, the toughened film contains oil-repellent waterproof layer. When the screen is dirty, it can be recovered by wiping gently.
- High Sensitivity：Sensitive operation, 0 distance touch control, hand feel than the original navigator more smooth. Super touch sensitivity, Light and thin, smooth and sensitive to touch. Our toughened film is very thin and transparent.
- Anti- Explosion：The glass material is tempered with high temperature to prevent the damage caused by the crack of the glass film, and to effectively slow down the external impact and protect the navigation screen from breakage.
- Reduce the Fingerprint：Wear-resistant, water-resistant, and corrosion-resistant, reducing fingerprint marks on the screen. Some of the substances accidentally stuck to the screen can affect the touch screen.
- Automatic Adsorption：More beautiful than plastic film, generous, high hardness, wear-resistant, easy to fit, just wipe the touch screen after automatic exhaust.
- Plug and Play &High Configuration* Come with well connected harness. Fit for 2016-2019 WRX /STI, 2016-2018 Forester, 2016-2017 XV Crosstrek, 2015-2016 Impreza. Support factory backup camera and USB. The latest version Android 9.0 Pie Operating System, Rockchip RK3399 PX6 Hexa-Core CPU processor with 4G RAM and 64G ROM, the performance will be more stability, giving you more faster running speed and respond experience.
- Multi Functions* Support Carplay and Android auto bring much fun and convenience same as you use a cellphone, easy access to Internet for 3G/4G Network and WiFi, Offline map (it already built-in) ensure you never get lost when weak signal outdoors, it also support Online map(Google map,waze etc). Steering Wheel Controls(No need for Romote Steering wheel controller) and hands-free phone call for safety driving. HDMI output support car headrest monitor.
- Better Display* 2.5D Glass(widely used for many cellphone on the market) , IPS Mulit-Touch screen with 1024*600 high resolution display, bring you a visual clearly experience. Unique UI design, redefining the interactive interface, simplify operation process to enhances the reaction speed.
- Built in DSP* Amazing sound output, many users said it even beat factory sound. the Digital Sounds Processor with 15 bands EQ can be adjusted as your like and different default styles optional(Flat, Rock,Pop Jazz, Classic ), Built-in Amplifier 4*50W, you can enjoy a new auditory. 6-channel Audio output converters, support subwoofer output.
- Customer Service* One year maintenance provided, lifetime tech support, please feel free to contact us, we strive to provide the best products along with superb customer service. We offer a broad range of stereo products, please check out our store.
- GPS Navigation - Built-in GPS (Global Positioning System) includes coverage of all 50 states, Puerto Rico and pre-loaded point of interest. The text-to-speech allows for an audible prompt, guiding to your final destination
- Bluetooth - Answer/make calls and be hands-free with no distractions. The built-in microphone picks up your voice and your car speakers let you hear the person on the other side. Play and control your music and apps like Spotify/Pandora wirelessly
- Media Playback - Watch your choice of videos through the DVD player, play music through your Bluetooth device, pop in a CD or use the USB and SD ports for more audio alternatives. Tune into the AM/FM radio stations for up to date music/news/sports
- Auxiliary - Compatible with the audio output from smartphones as well as MP3 players. Just plug in and start playing
- Inputs - USB/SD, Aux, rearview camera (camera sold separately). The steering wheel interface allows you to use the existing functions on your steering wheel. Interface module sold separately. We recommend the Metra ASWC-1
- Radio Dash kit and wire harness for installing an aftermarket radio
- No Factory Navigation Vehicles only- Compatible with: 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Subaru Forester, 2008-2011 Subaru Impreza, 2008-2014 Subaru WRX - No Factory NAV
- Dash kit works with a Single and Double din Radio- Dash kit has a black finish- Wire harness plugs directly into the car
- Very Important- Only for vehicles that didn't come with Factory Navigation.
- Will not retain some features like steering audio controls- extra adapters required
Last update on 2020-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API