|APPLICABILITY:||2014MY and Later Forester|
|2008 and Later Impreza, WRX and STI|
|2013 and Later XV Crosstrek (EXCEPT Hybrid Model)|
|SUBJECT:||Revised Brake Light Switch Adjustment Procedure for DTCs C1531 and C0054|
This bulletin provides a revised adjustment procedure to be used when diagnosing Brake Light Switch (BLS) -related DTCs C1531 and/or C0054. If the BLS is out of adjustment, the ABS and/or VDC warning lamp may illuminate.
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
IMPORTANT: Before proceeding with the BLS adjustment procedure outlined below, review the related diagnostic procedure completely in the applicable Service Manual for the DTC stored in memory.
- Before removing or adjusting the BLS, put a reference mark (a) on the threaded/notched portion as shown in the illustration below.
- As shown in the next illustrations, measure the brake pedal stroke by first measuring the distance “A” between the floor mat and the pedal. Depress the brake pedal slowly until the brake lights come on “B” then record the second measurement. Subtract “B” from “A” to obtain the pedal stroke measurement.
The specification for pedal stroke to activate the BLS is 5.5mm +/- 2.5mm (>3mm but <8mm).
- If the measurement (switch activation) is out of specification, the BLS will need to be adjusted. When the brake lights come on too soon (not enough pedal stroke), the BLS needs to be adjusted “inward” toward the bulkhead while if the pedal stroke is excessive before the brake lights come on, the BLS will need to be adjusted outward toward the steering wheel. The BLS adjustment is sensitive and in most cases, moving it just one notch should bring the operation into specification since one notch is equivalent to approximately 4mm of movement.
- If it is determined the BLS needs adjustment, rotate the switch approximately 45 degrees to the left (counter-clockwise) to release it from the pedal bracket. You will need to develop a “feel” for the adjustment notches along with how the BLS releases and locks back into place. Move the BLS inward or outward as required using your reference mark (see Step 1) as a guide then rotate the BLS to the right (clockwise) to lock it back into position. Re-measure the pedal stroke. If the switch operation is within the specified limits, the adjustment procedure is complete. If the switch operation is still out of range, repeat the adjustment procedure.
- Clear the ABS / VDC system memory and road test the vehicle to confirm no DTCs reset.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited or Emission Warranty period or covered by a Subaru Added Security Classic or Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH ADJUSTMENT||A455-318||UAE-88||0.5|
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs