|APPLICABILITY:||2015-2016MY WRX and STI Models|
|SUBJECT:||Elimination of Creaking Sound from Clutch Pedal Assembly|
This bulletin provides a procedure to address customer concerns of a creaking sound heard when operating the clutch pedal. The cause of the sound has been identified as a very slight amount of movement between the 2 layers of metal (circled in yellow) which form the specific clutch and brake pedal assembly mounting bracket shown in the illustration and photos below.
|PEDAL ASSY BRAKE & CLUTCH||36004VA010||WRX|
|BRAKE / CLUTCH PEDAL CLEVIS PIN||905200018||WRX, STI & BRZ|
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
Once the sound has been verified, attach a chassis ear to the toe board / bulkhead in the location circled in the illustration below then operate the clutch pedal.
If the sound is confirmed to be originating from that location, use a small flat-blade screw driver to prevent movement of the upper layer while slightly separating it from the lower layer of the bracket as shown in the photo below. Operate the clutch pedal again and with the chassis ear in the same position as before, determine if the sound is changed or reduced while the screw driver is in place.
- If the sound is unchanged with the screw driver in place, the source is likely to be located elsewhere.
- If the sound is eliminated or changed with the screw driver in place, order the applicable replacement pedal assembly from the parts table provided above.
Follow the procedure in the applicable Service Manual for replacing the pedal assembly including the following critical points, some of which vary from existing procedures.
- Hand-tighten the 9 fasteners securing the pedal assembly to the toe board then final torque to 23 Nm (17 ft. lbs) following the sequence shown below.
- ALWAYS use new clevis pins and snap pins when reinstalling the brake pedal apply rod and the clutch pedal push rod.
- After the installation is complete, ALWAYS confirm both clutch switches and the stop light switch are properly adjusted following the procedures in the applicable Service Manual.
- Confirm the sound has been eliminated and the brake lights operate normally before releasing the vehicle.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period or covered by a Subaru Added Security Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|LABOR DESCRIPTION||VEHICLE MODEL||LABOR|
|CLUTCH PEDAL ASSEMBLY CREAKING SOUND REPAIR||WRX AND STI||A316-171||SAW-25||1.6|
REMINDER: SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.