|“This site contains affiliate links for which OEMDTC may be compensated”
NHTSA ID Number: 10207177
Manufacturer Communication Number: QMR of the Month
Subaru Service and Technical Support Line Newsletter. (QMR of the month)
Articles Contained in this Issue
Click on a title below to jump to the article.
Click the date located in the footer to return to page 1.
(00) STIS New Releases…………………………..10-11
(01) QMR of the Month………………………………..1-2
(01) QMR of the Month Award
(01) The Winning Team of the 2021NTXAD Tech .
(05) TPMS Sensor Installation……………………….. 4
(07) Lane Keep Assist Inoperative, Even When .
Set To “ON”…………………………………………… 5
(15) 2022 BRZ Auto-Dimming Homelink Mirror .
(15) DTC P0116 Setting with Engine Block
Heater Use…………………………………………….. 7
1 Affected Product
1 Associated Document
TIPS1221 – 2021 December TechTIPS Newsletter
- Check Engine Light Killer ➤ Annoying engine error light keeps popping out? No frustrating. LAUN CH CR529 is born to kill the Check Engine Light on your dashboard. This obd2 scanner can clear the trouble codes in seconds, save you a bundle in unwanted repair cost, and help you make the proper repairs without any guess work.
- Patented One-Click Smog Checker ➤ How effective this scan tool is? You will be completely blown away. With just one press of a button to run a quick check, you’ll see if the car is ready to pass the emission test, without the hassle of driving around endlessly, or continuously coming back to the repair shop for retest.
- Effective Car Status Analyzer ➤ Want to get educated enough before hitting the dealer? Live Data shows clearly and vividly in graphical way, being super easy for you to ensure if the data are in normal conditions / ranges, or not. Red-Yellow-Green LEDs indicate vehicle’s status visually, to avoid unnecessary step-to-step operations.
- Wide-Ranging Cars Supporter ➤ Doubt about the compatibility? The diagnostic scanner can be used regardless of the type of your vehicle, as long as it is OBD2 compliant (1996 and newer): KWP2000, ISO9141, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM and CAN. Multiple language option is also packed: English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese.
- A Necessity in Toolbox ➤ Classic and solid design to withstand everyday shocks; HELP shortcut key for quick access to commonly tips; Plug & Play, no battery required; AutoVin, DTC LookUp, Data Playback and Print etc. Whether you’re a home car owner or an auto mechanic, with CR529, you can save thousands of dollars on car maintenance, save time and effort on repairs, and dramatically improve your car’s lifespan / performance.
- [ABS & SRS Scanner with Active Test] The ABS/ SRS diagnostic tool Read & clear DTCs, displays live data in a graph to locate the cause of faults and assists the home mechanic with repairs and clearing ABS and airbag warning lights. Active test sensors, valves or solenoids etc. and tracks any threats in real time. It is invaluable to have a diagnostic tool with Active Test feature that you will never find on similar ABS/ SRS scanners.
- 【3 HOP Reset Services 】Easy to set up 3 regular reset services for Oil Light, Battery Management System, and Steering Angle Position. With this obd2 scanner, you can reset the oil service light and reset pre-programmed mileage intervals for energy efficiency; adjust or reset the steering angle position to keep steering aligned; and clear the original low battery fault information. No need to leave home for shop-quality car maintenance.
- 【All OBD2 Test Modes 】 This ABS & SRS scan tool is also a full featured obd2 code reader, allowing a quick test of the engine system of OBD II vehicles, can Read/Clear engine light codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame, Retrieving I/M Readiness Status, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test, Evap Test, Read Vehicle Information, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles.
- [DTC LookUp Library] Can't read the code? Go to the DTC LookUp Library. The Topdon AL600 OBD2 scanner offers a wealth of code definitions so you don't have to look them up in a list or database, and the HELP function takes you to diagnostic tips for possible fixes, saving time searching for repair materials online. No other scan tool or code reader under $100 offers this level of assistance.
- [User-Oriented] You'll love the feel of this automotive scanner, with black rubber grips all around the outer edges for durability and to withstand accidental drops. With its easy access menu, you can operate all functions in minutes with just a few button presses. The 3-color LEDs give you a intuitive indication of the OBD2 test results in a second. 3 shortcut keys, one key to read/clear DTCs and a one-touch smoke status check make it easy to use even for beginners.
- 🎄【Easy to Use--Work out of box】+【FOXWELL 2024 New Version】 FOXWELL NT604 Elite scan tool is the 2024 new version from FOXWELL, which is designed for those car owners who want to figure out the cause issue before fixing the car problem via scanning the most common systems like abs srs engine and transmission.The NT604 Elite diagnostic tool comes with latest software, which can be used out of box. No need to waste time to download the software first.
- 🎅【Affordable】+【Reliable Car Health Monitor】 Will you be confused what happen when the warning light of abs/srs/transmission/check engine flashes? Instead of taking your cars to dealership, this foxwell scanner will help you do a thorough scanning and detection for your cars and pinpoint the root cause. It will t-urn off the warning light car after the problem is fixed.👉TIPS: Airbag crash/collision data can NOT be cleared even you replace the new airbag.
- 🎄【5 in 1 Diagnostic Scanner】Compared with those auto scanners (50-100), NT604 Elite code scanner not only includes their OBDII diagnosis but also it can be an abs/srs scanner, transmission and check engine code reader. When it’s an odb2 scanner, you can use it to check if your car is ready for annual test through I/M readiness menu. In addition, live data stream, built-in DTC library, data play back and print, all these features are a big plus for it.
- 🎅【Fantastic AUTOVIN】+【No extra software fee】Through the AUTOVIN menu, this NT604 Elite car scanner allows you to get your V-IN and vehicle info rapidly, no need to take time to find your V-IN and input one by one. What's more, the NT604 Elite abs srs scanner supports 60+ car makes from worldwide (America/Asia/Europe). You don’t need to pay extra software fee.
- 🎄【Solid protective case KO plastic carrying bag】+ 【Lifetime update】Almost all same price-level obd scanner diagnostic tool only offers plastic bag to hold on the scanner.However, NT604 Elite automotive scanner is equipped with solid protective case, preventing your obd2 scanner from damage. Then you don’t need to pay extra money to buy a solid toolbox.
- 🎉【2024 Upgraded Ver. of AL519/ ML519/ ML619】Autel develops the brand-new AutoLink AL619 as the advanced ver. of Autel ML519, AL519, AL319, MS309. This AL619 OBD2 scanner can scan ABS & SRS systems, and support 10 Modes of OBD II Diagnostics Function on Worldwide Vehicles to read, erase codes and turn off the MIL, ABS, SRS warning lights so that you can better maintain your car when related malfunctions occur and make your vehicle ready for the annual test.
- 🎉【Accurate ABS/ SRS Diagnostics Functions】The ABS/ SRS diagnostic function is used to retrieve and clear codes from the ABS/ SRS systems. It can read and clear DTCs, show definitions of each code, display live data of multiple sensors in the graph to locate fault causes, and assist home mechanics to do the proper repair and clear ABS & Airbag warning lights. Diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes on most 1996 and newer major vehicle models. Please email 📩 immoautel @ outlook. com 📩 for help.
- 🎉【All 10 Modes of OBD II Diagnostics Function】The OBD II Diagnostics function is a fast-access option that allows you to carry out a quick test on the engine system of OBD II vehicles. Read Codes, Erase Codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame, Retrieving I/M Readiness Status, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test, DTC Lookup, Component Test, Viewing Vehicle Information, Modules Present.
- 🎉【Live Data and Freeze Frame Data】With Live Data functions, Autel AL619 OBD2 diagnostic code reader allows you to view the live PID (Parameter Identification Data) of the vehicle's computer module(s) in text, graph to check the status of various sensors. And Freeze Frame Data enables you to view the vehicle's operating parameters at the moment a DTC is detected. These information will aid the technician by allowing the parameters to be duplicated for diagnostic and repair purposes.
- 🎉【DTC Lookup Feature】Besides showing you the code’s definition while you are reading the diagnostic trouble codes, AL619 features comparably user-friendly DTC Lookup Function which enables you to retrieve the definitions of any error codes from the large database of AL619, saving you from the hassle of wasting time searching definition of every code via Google.
- 2024 Best Choice for ABS Bleeder Scan Tool - Was the brake pedal always slowly sinking down or becoming loose? This abs brake bleeding scan tool will bleed the brake system by cycling the pump and valves to achieve a tight brake pedal. It's the most affordable obd2 scanner with abs auto bleed function you can find. With the clear step by step instruction, even a beginner can use it. Coverage check on FOXWELL official site: Support- Diagnostic Coverage List.
- More Than a Entry Level OBD Scanner, Ideal for Home Mechanics - Based on the NT301 FOXWELL Scanner, NT630 Plus takes OBD diagnostics to the next level by customizing all functions for ABS and SRS systems. This srs abs scanner provides in-depth insights on error code diagnosis, wheel speed sensor live data, airbag circuits and cable connectors monitor, module activation and etc. It's an total game-changer in resolving ABS SRS issues.
- No More Higher End Service than You Needed - One NT630 Plus is enough! This obd2 scanner with abs and srs takes depth diagnosis on Anti-Lock Brake System & Supplemental Restraint System, and also performs daily required resetting services which same priced scanners cannot do. Like Airbag light reset/ SAS(Steering Angle Sensor) adjustment/ Oil light reset and EPB service functions. this car scanner will help the part to operate normally after the faults repaired.
- Also can Work like NT301 - The NT630 Plus abs code reader connect to the OBD2 port directly. It will diagnose all obd2 modules instantly, displays the live data, locates bad sensors and I/M readiness status before the annual inspection. Guides you to do the maintenance work, reduces the potential driving risk and keep a peak performance on the road.
- Complicate? Unreadable? - Intuitive LCD display with clear operate instructions, even a beginner can diagnose the car faults with the NT630 Plus. Ergonomic Touch with anti-collision and anti-slip cover design, comfortable for daily car diagnose work. Unique button press sound will provide the overall tactile and visual experience to notice you a task has been completed or a command has been executed.
- 🎁 New Elite Version🎁 Easy to Use--Work out of Box🎁Function as LAUNCH CRP123E 🎁 Lifetime Update🎁 5 YEARS Back Up.
- [Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Tool]----The crp123 obd2 scanner is perfect balance of power and affordability, providing the ability to view preset, or user defined, live data streams for ENGINE, AT, ABS and SRS data, the ability to graph, record, replay and print data, read and resets codes for engine/abs/srs/transmission system.(Note: Does not work for other System and does not have Special services!)
- [Full OBDII Test Code Reader]----LAUNCH CRP123 scan tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII standard to ensure complete, accurate, system diagnosis. Read and Clear DTCs, do smog tests , I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, Mode 06 EVAP system test, Mode 08 on-board test component test. And OBDII Code lookup tool and acronym database to assist and speed diagnosis and repair time.
- [Live Data Stream + Advanced OBDII Scanner + Lifetime Update]---- Launch crp123 scanner support for Generic OBDII Codes (P0, P2, P3 and U0); manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3 and U1); pending codes; freeze frame data; monitor and I/M readiness; live PCM stream data; graphing functionality for up to four (4) live data streams include the Engine Coolant Temperature, Long&Short Fuel Trim, the change of Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor , Throttle valve position , Generator load signal,Fuel Tank Pressure , Engine RPM, Intake Ait Temperature and so on; clears DTC codes and turns off the MIL; resets monitors; provides Data Link Connector (DLC) location hints.
- [Extensive Vehicle Coverage + 10 Languages]--The LAUNCH CRP123 reads data from ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ABS and SRS systems from Asian, US and European manufacturers. Coverage includes for Suzuki, for Honda, for Mitsubishi, for Nissan, for Toyota,for Mazda, for Hyundai,for Kia, for Subaru,for Infiniti, for Lexus, for Acura, for Isuzu, for Ford, for GM, for Chrysler, for Benz, for BMW, for VW, for Opel, for Volvo, for Fiat,for Land Rover, for Seat, for Skoda, for Audi,for Porsche, for Saab, for Jaguar and many others. Support 10 different languages.
- ABS/SRS OBD2 Scanner > Enjoy this ABS OBD2 code reader to reveal exact issues underlying in your brake, airbag, and engine systems, test individual ABS/SRS sensors, valves, or solenoids to quickly locate malfunctions (compatible with GM, Nissan, Fiat, Benz, Volvo, Land Rover, BMW, USA Ford, please reach us for details.), making sure critical safety systems work in perfect harmony together against accidents to be safe than sorry. NOTE: Only support upgrade on windows.
- 3 Most Needed Service Functions > This OBD2 scanner guides you through step by step procedures to reset oil service light and programmed mileage intervals for engine efficiency (Oil Reset); to calibrate steering wheel position for vehicle’s traveling in a straight line (SAS Reset); to clear the original low battery fault information against coming battery failures or damage (BMS Reset); saving your needless visits to mechanics. NOTE: Not suitable for all models, please reach us for compatibility.
- Full OBD2 Diagnostics > Say goodbye to the hassle of manual check-ups via this srs code reader. Quickly correct Check Engine Light warning on most OBD2/CAN compatible vehicles. Easily access to your smog status with one simple click I/M Readiness; and being filled with features for live data readings, freeze frame data, plus EVAP system, onboard monitor test means this scan tool checks all daily car care boxes.
- Work Easier > Red-Yellow-Green LEDs in this OBD2 scanner quickly show the overall DTC status without toggling through menu selections. HELP hotkey takes you directly to detailed descriptions/tips. Read/Erase DTC, I/M readiness shortcuts are added for optimized operation, along with DTC Lookup library for interpreting codes, designing the SRS OBD2 code reader a pleasure to use right out of the package even for beginners.
- Helpful Service > Get instant, free lifetime access to the most recent updates to add new car models and troubleshooting bugs making the OBD2 scanner a long-term investment for any home mechanics. The extended 1 years of quality assurance sweetens the worry-free deal even further. Multilingual Menu: EN, FR, ES, DE, IT, RU, PT, and JP. NOTE: Only support upgrade on windows.
- [COMPATIBLE FOR BMW] - As what you've seen, we have a variety of OBD2 code readers compatible for BMW and MINI, C410 is one of the most cost-effective scan tools fit for BMW and MINI vehicle owners. C410 Supports most BMW and MINI after 2001. 1997-2004 cars need a 20 pin adaptor (not included).
- [FIT FOR BMW AND MINI] - Compatible ECU systems including Drive, Chassis and Body all system. Supported function including read and clear trouble codes, display live data stream, graph display, vehicle version information, clear adaptation, CBS reset and reset Engine oil.
- [EASY TO OPERATE] - C410 car diagnostic tool via 2.4" TFT 240K true color LCD display screen to indicates the test results , with the silicone keypad you can easy to access the each of menu options, Rugged drop-proof case Prevent falling, the menu layout on the screen is easy to understand and you will no trouble to figuring out how to do what you needed.
- [LIFETIME FREE UPDATE] - Many OBDII scanners for BMW require to pay an additional fee for new upgrades after the warranty period has expired. C410 supports lifetime free software upgrades, new parameters, functions and the latest vehicle data are constantly updated via the USB port over the Internet. Just a few easy steps, the scanner will always be up to date with the latest system within minutes.
- [ATTENTION PLEASE!!!] - Battery registration function does not support cars before 2004 and also does not support the E chassis (3 Series_E46, 5 Series_E39, 7 Series_E38, X3_E83, X5_E53, Z3_E36, Z4_E85/E86, MINI_R50/R51/R52/R53). For the above chassis models, you just need to replace the battery directly, because these models do not require battery registration. In addition, the battery registration function only for the same type and capacity battery. Inconsistent battery type or capacity can lead to registration failure.
- SRS Light Resetting: The SRS system air cushion light scan reset tool is designed to reset the dashboard SRS air cushion light in seconds for better car performance.
- Durable Materials: The SRS system scan reset tool is made from superior ABS plastic for maximum durability, high performance and stable characteristic.
- Professional Production: SRS system diagnostic tool has undergone extensive quality and safety testing to ensure longer service life and strong reliability.
- Fitment: Replacement for E36 316 THROUGH TO M3 SALOON, COUPE, COMPACT, CONVERTIBLE and TOURING, replacement for E34 ALL VARIANTS and much more.
- Practical Diagnostic Tool: Heavy duty SRS scan reset tool can help you read all SRS fault codes, tell you what the wrong is, and reset the problem automatically.
- [Newly Added 3 RESET FUNCTIONS] 2024 New Ver. scan tool CRP123X Elite ADDS NEW SPECIAL FUNCTIONS--Throttle Adaptation, Oil Reset, SAS Reset. Before the trip to the mechanic, the launch crp123x elite can do deeper diagnosis for the car system and react with accurate data in minutes. Just Update the software of your CRP123X scanner, and you’ll get this high-end function at no charge.
- [Accurate & Intuitive Multi System Diagnosis] Will you be confused about what happens when the warning light of transmission, ABS, and SRS Airbag check engine flashes? Launch obd2 scanner diagnostic tool CRP123X to pinpoint the problem components for a faster diagnosis for your car instead of taking your car to the dealership, and will turn off the warning light for you after fixing the problem, make to know more about your cars and do your own repair.
- [Multiple Display of Live Data + DTC Code Definition Explanation] Launch car tools show real-time data of oil temp, pressure, transmission temp, engine speed, coolant temperature, you will know which car part is abnormal. Data can be shown in a single, multi- graph, and merge two graphs for analysis（merge 4 PIDs in one). It’s convenient for car owners to purchase auto parts and replace it by yourself, 🔥Code Search,DTC Library provide massive information.
- [2024 New Processor, Lifetime Free Update] Faster! Stable! The CRP123X Elite car diagnostic scanner has a new processor, Android 7.0, 16GB of memory, 5-inch touchscreen (720P), 6100mAh rechargeable battery, One-touch Wi-Fi Lifetime Free update for more vehicle coverage, bug fixes, newly added parameters, and functionality to help you access, diagnose and fix more vehicles faster. SAVE AT LEAST $2000 PER YEAR.
- [Auto VIN Smart Diagnostic&Wide Range of Vehicle Supported] Launch scanner auto VIN technology allows you to get your VIN and vehicle info rapidly (vehicle make, model, and year info), no need to take time to find your VIN and input one by one (Some models need to type it in manually.)It has the newest car software. This car code reader supports vehicles like passenger cars, SUVs, minivans, 12V light-duty trucks, etc. produced by Asian, European, American, Indian, and more brands between 1996 and 2024.
Last update on 2024-02-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
December 2021 TechTIPS Page 1 of 11 Subaru Service and Technical Support Line Newsletter ©2021 Subaru of America, Inc. All rights reserved. 01 QMR of the Month We are pleased to announce this month’s QMR of the Month Winner: Yeong Tam from Star Subaru in Bayside, NY October’s QMR of the Month outlined the diagnosis and repair of a 2021MY Ascent with a customer concern of the Blind Spot Detection system not working. Once Yeong verified the condition, he began his diagnosis by scanning the vehicle and finding DTC B2301, a rear radar circuit code for the left side. He also noted the left-hand blind spot indicator light on the side view mirror was inoperative, but the right side operated normally. After swapping the indicators left to right to rule out a part failure, Yeong proceeded to diagnose the DTC as per the trouble tree. No other DTCs were stored. He removed the LH door panel and disconnected connector D5 to the outer mirror. Using the split-half technique to track down what appeared to be an open circuit, a continuity check between connector R466 pin 55 and R25 pin 4 confirmed it. Yeong proceeded to remove rear bumper to isolate and repair the wiring as needed. He was able to recreate the open by wiggle-testing the left rear harness where it was chafing against the LH blind spot unit’s mounting bracket. After repairing the wiring, the DTC cleared normally, the warning lamp in the combination meter went out and both the mirror indicators operated normally on his post-repair road test. Yeong’s report which he submitted via TechShare™ included all his test results, related photos and even a movie file documenting his repair. In appreciation for going the extra mile and sharing his experience with us, Yeong will be receiving the following from his Field Service Engineer: $500.00 Snap-On gift card SUBARU TECHLINE HOLIDAYS & HOURS OF OPERATION Mon. – Thurs. 8:30AM – 7:30PM EST Friday 10:30AM – 5:00PM EST Saturday 9:00AM – 3:00PM EST Articles Contained in this Issue Click on a title below to jump to the article. Click the date located in the footer to return to page 1. CODE ARTICLE………………………………………………………….PAGE (00) STIS New Releases…………………………..10-11 (01) QMR of the Month………………………………..1-2 (01) QMR of the Month Award Presentations………………………………………… 2 (01) The Winning Team of the 2021NTXAD Tech . Competition!…………………………………………. 3 (05) TPMS Sensor Installation……………………….. 4 (07) Lane Keep Assist Inoperative, Even When . Set To “ON”…………………………………………… 5 (15) 2022 BRZ Auto-Dimming Homelink Mirror . Inoperative……………………………………………. 6 (15) DTC P0116 Setting with Engine Block Heater Use…………………………………………….. 7 The Subaru TechTIPS newsletter is intended for use by professional Technicians ONLY. Articles are written to inform those Technicians of conditions that may occur in some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper servicing of the vehicle. Properly trained Technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do the job correctly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that your vehicle has or will have that condition. Impreza, Legacy, Justy, Loyale, Outback, Forester, Subaru SVX, WRX, WRX STI, Baja, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek, Ascent, Crosstrek Hybrid and “Quality Driven” are Registered Trademarks. ISO 14001 is the international standard for excellence in Environmental Management Systems. Please recycle or dispose of automotive products in a manner that is friendly to our environment and in accordance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations. CAUTION: VEHICLE SERVICING PERFORMED BY UNTRAINED PERSONS COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY TO THOSE PERSONS OR TO OTHERS. SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. IS ISO 14001 COMPLIANT Continued on the next page December 2021 home Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 2 of 11 01 QMR of the Month (CONTINUED) The other Regional winners selected from QMRs submitted during August 2021 were: • Scott Graham from Santa Cruz Subaru in Capitola, CA • Elijah Aubuchon from Huffine’s Subaru in Corinth in Corinth, TX • Marvin Joya from Sheehy Subaru of Fredericksburg in Fredericksburg, VA • Darin Richey from Colonial Subaru in Danbury, CT Any Subaru Technician can participate in the QMR of the Month program. See the February 2013 and January 2016 issues of Tech TIPS for full details. You just might see your name and photo in a future issue of Tech TIPS! 01 QMR of the Month Award Presentations As part of our “enhanced” QMR of the Month recognition program, we will include a photo (whenever available) of the recipient’s award presentation in TIPS. The winner selected from QMR of the Month submissions received during October 2021 was Yeong Tam, a Technician from Star Subaru in Bayside, NY. Yeong is shown above (left/center) after being presented with his $500.00 Snap-On Gift Card. To Yeong’s right is Star Subaru’s Service Manager Kevin Suh and to his left are Star’s Fixed Operations Director Alex Collao and Subaru Distributors Corporation Field Service Engineer Brian Gray. Congratulations and THANK YOU to our October 2021 QMR of the Month Award recipient! Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 3 of 11 01 The Winning Team of the 2021NTXAD Tech Competition! Judges from SOA Dallas ATC From left to right: Judge Seth McVea, FSTM, Lance Wood, Matthew Winger, competitors; coach, Doug Emery and Judge Michael Wedgeworth, FSTM. Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX: A team of student automotive Technicians from the Technology Exploration Career Center East of the Lewisville Independent School District (ISD) took home a first-place finish in the North Texas Auto Dealers’ association (NTXAD) competition on Saturday, December 4 in the infield garage of the Speedway. The contest pitted 20+ teams of high school automotive students in a competition for tool and scholarship money. Subaru of America and two local Subaru retailers, Ewing Subaru of Plano and Five Star Subaru of Grapevine, sponsored teams from Career Center East and Ratteree Career and Development Center of the Irving ISD, respectively. Thanks to the Dallas ATC team of Michael Wedgeworth and Seth McVea for vehicles, scan tools, bugs, judging, technical and logistical support; the Dallas Zone Team of Tim Powers, Dave Adams, Elise Seoles and WingPui Yip for tons (literally tons: a Wilderness Outback on display, shirts and swag, too!) of support and their time. Last but not least a BIG Thank You to Casey Griffin and the Central Region for generous their financial support. Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 4 of 11 01 One-Time Use Parts and other Service Manual Component Symbols When making repairs to any Subaru vehicle, it is critical to review the related service procedures in the applicable Service Manual for the component(s) being removed or replaced. Some of these components may be one-time use, meaning once they have been removed, they CANNOT be reinstalled and MUST be replaced. Always check the applicable Service Manual for any related one time use parts necessary and review those needs with your Parts Department personnel whenever performing repairs. To aid in this process, exploded views of components and locations can be found for each system in the applicable Service Manual – General Description/ Component section on STIS. This should serve as a reference when assessing component removal and repair, along with the removal/installation instructions provided. Component diagrams can be found under any of the major vehicle sections on STIS, (i.e. Engine, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, etc). Below is an example for clarity. Colored boxes have been added here to highlight sample component images as found in the General Description/ Component area(s) of the Service Manual. The colored boxes have been used only as a reference. IMPORTANT: ANY component marked with a black star is one-time use. If removed or pressed off another component, this is considered used. Any component with a black circle is a selectable component and STIS will need be reviewed in order to make the necessary measurements to insure the proper size component is used during reassembly. Here is a quick reference to common symbols found in component diagrams. Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 5 of 11 01 One-Time Use Parts and other Service Manual Component Symbols (CONTINUED) This information can be found under the Help tab at the top of the page of the applicable service manual on STIS. 05 TPMS Sensor Installation It has been brought to SOAs attention there is the possibility of installing newer style TPMS sensors incorrectly. If this happens, the sensor may not function as designed to read the rotational force during driving and wake up/communicate with the TPMS control module. This may result in intermittent DTCs and/or tire pressure values not displaying in the combination meter. When installing new sensors, it is imperative they are installed properly for the TPMS system to operate as intended. Refer to STIS for correct sensor orientation and installation procedures. Shown below is an incorrectly installed sensor for reference. Special thanks to Tom Jones & Brandon Bell at Hadwin-White Subaru for identifying this and correcting a very intermittent customer concern of a TPMS light. Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 6 of 11 07 Lane Keep Assist Inoperative, Even When Set To “ON” If encountering a customer concern of the Lane Keep Assist is inoperative, even when activated, there may be an issue with the wiper circuit. Technicians faced with this concern identified Cancel Codes in the Eyesight System, i.e., 28, 50 & 51. Depending on model/year and vehicle setting status, if these Cancel Codes are found, inspection of the wiper circuit is recommended first. 19MY Ascent 20MY Legacy/ Outback In the case of this, 19MY Ascent, the Automatic Adjustment and Function Check by Driving in the Camera Adjustment Inspection would not complete. The adjustment made no changes while being monitored in the live data. This was caused by an ‘open circuit’ between the Wiper Switch and BIU. The BIU was unable to distinguish between a ‘switch opened’ and ‘open circuit’, therefore communicating ‘Hi’ with the Eyesight system. When this is received by the Eyesight system, it is interpreted as the wipers being active and will not run the Auto Adjustment procedure. To confirm this, Technicians should look at the Eyesight live data PID, Wiper SW (Front). If the PID is found ‘ON’ continuously, without wiper activation, suspect the wiper switch circuit to be open or shorted. For this 19MY Ascent, the circuit was open. Connector B280 at the BIU had a backed-out pin. Once properly seated in the connector, the system returned to normal operation. Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 7 of 11 07 Lane Keep Assist Inoperative, Even When Set To “ON” (CONTINUED) 15 2022 BRZ Auto-Dimming Homelink Mirror Inoperative If a customer presents with a concern of the HomeLink feature being inoperative, the Technician should inspect the mirror harness prior to performing additional diagnostic procedures. When an incorrect harness is installed, the HomeLink icons will not illuminate properly when the corresponding buttons are pressed. Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 8 of 11 15 2022 BRZ Auto-Dimming Homelink Mirror Inoperative (CONTINUED) Some early production kits were packaged with an incorrect harness. To ensure the correct kit was installed the Technician should inspect the production date of the kit. If the kit packaging is marked with June 30, 2021 or earlier, it is not the correct kit for this vehicle. If the kit has already been installed on the vehicle an incorrect harness can be identified by the lack of a blue wire in the connector or by the revision label reading “AAA”. The correct harness has the revision “AAC” and a blue wire visible at the connector. If you find the incorrect part installed, please order the replacement kit P.N. H501SCC000. 15 DTC P0116 Setting with Engine Block Heater Use When encountering a vehicle with DTC P0116, first verify if an engine block heater is installed. If no engine block heater is installed, please follow the applicable service manual on STIS. Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 9 of 11 15 DTC P0116 Setting with Engine Block Heater Use (CONTINUED) If P0116 is set when using an engine block heater, this may be due to ECM logic. On earlier models at engine startup, the ECM monitors the engine coolant temperature against ambient temperature. Later models monitor both coolant temperature sensors against the engine oil temperature. If a predetermined temperature difference between the sensor is observed, P0116 may result. Refer to STIS for the applicable detecting criteria. The ECM is able to detect an engine block heater is in use ONLY IF the heater controls are in ON/AUTO mode. To help avoid this DTC, instruct the customer to have the HVAC in the ON/AUTO position at engine start-up. This will allow the warmed and cold coolant to combine and circulate, allowing the ECM to determine a block heater is in use, thus helping to mitigate the trigger of P0116. In addition, if the blower motor is in the ‘OFF’ position, the coolant will not circulate on startup and the temperature differential may become ‘out of range’ also resulting in a DTC. Refer to TSB 11-201-21 for additional information on ECM reprogramming. Additional reprogramming PAK files for more models will be released in the near future to counteract this DTC. Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 10 of 11 00 STIS New Releases ITEM CODE ITEM TYPE TITLE CREATED DATE 16-132-20R Technical Service Bulletin Diagnostic Information for All… 6-Jan-22 WRJ-21R Subaru Product/Campaign Bulletin Left Front B-Pillar / Inspecti… 5-Jan-22 02-189-22 Technical Service Bulletin Oil Drain Plug / Design Change… 4-Jan-22 15-246-19R Technical Service Bulletin New Immobilizer Registration P… 4-Jan-22 F411SVC010 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX Rear Seat Cover 4-Jan-22 E231SSJ020 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY Forester – Hood Protect… 3-Jan-22 15-234-18R Technical Service Bulletin 2019 Audio/Navigation & Power … 3-Jan-22 15-272-20R Technical Service Bulletin 2021 Audio/Navigation & Power … 3-Jan-22 15-249-19R Technical Service Bulletin 2020 Audio/Navigation & Power … 3-Jan-22 E7210VC200 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – Trunk Spoiler 2-Jan-22 J101SVC100 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – Mud Flaps 2-Jan-22 F411SVC000 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – Seat Cover – Rear… 2-Jan-22 SOA567R300 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – Pet Rear Door Pro… 2-Jan-22 SG970VA000 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – STI Cherry Red Mi… 2-Jan-22 SG920VA040 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – STI Lateral Link … 2-Jan-22 SG930VA000 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – STI Brembo Brake … 2-Jan-22 L101SAN000 Accessory Installation Guide PORT INSTALLATION: 202-2022MY … 2-Jan-22 SG950VA030 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – STI Flexible Draw… 2-Jan-22 SG950VA020 Accessory Installation Guide STI Flexible Draw Stiffener Re… 2-Jan-22 SG920VA010 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – STI Flexible Draw… 2-Jan-22 C1010CC000 Accessory Installation Guide PORT INSTALLATION: 2022MY BRZ … 2-Jan-22 SG920VA000 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY WRX – STI Flexible Draw… 2-Jan-22 H4510SJ000 Accessory Installation Guide PORT INSTALLATION: 2022MY Fore… 2-Jan-22 F551SSJ200 Accessory Installation Guide PORT INSTALLATION: 2022MY Fore… 2-Jan-22 15-283-21 Technical Service Bulletin 2022 Audio/Navigation & Power … 2-Jan-22 TIPS_SE_Dec2021 TechTIPS NewsLetter Transfer Clutch System Diagnos… 31-Dec-21 SOA567B051 Accessory Installation Guide Thule Bike Carrier – Hitch Mou… 31-Dec-21 15-251-19R Technical Service Bulletin DTC B2A16 29-Dec-21 15-289-21 Technical Service Bulletin Subaru STARLINK® Owner’s Manua… 28-Dec-21 12-232-21 Technical Service Bulletin Trailer Hitch Fascia Panel Tem… 28-Dec-21 E515SSJ200 Accessory Installation Guide 2022MY Forester Wilderness Edi… 28-Dec-21 SOA567B041 Accessory Installation Guide Thule Bike Carrier – Hitch Mou… 21-Dec-21 SG990VA010 Accessory Installation Guide 2015-2021MY WRX and WRX STI Tr… 21-Dec-21 05-88-21 Technical Service Bulletin Front Stabilizer Bushing- Desi… 21-Dec-21 15-240-19R Technical Service Bulletin New Harman Audio Amplifiers 15-Dec-21 WRG-21R Subaru Product/Campaign Bulletin Fuel Pump Impeller Failure 9-Dec-21 All revised publications are highlighted in yellow. Continued on the next page December 2021 TechTIPS Page 11 of 11 *** Now you can e-mail your TechTIPS input and suggestions to: email@example.com *** SUBARU TECHLINE Monday – Thursday 8:30 am to 7:30 pm Hours of Operation Friday 10:30 am to 5 pm and Saturday 9 am to 3 pm This is your chance to offer suggestions for use in future issues of TechTIPS! Make sure that if you e-mail us, you place in the subject line of your e-mail “For TechTIPS Newsletter”. Thank you! Model: Year: VIN: Description of situation encountered: Your suggestion for repair procedure, product improvements, etc.: Please attach separate sheets, if necessary. You may also want to include Service Manual diagrams or references, or your own drawings to assist in describing your suggestion. All information submitted becomes the property of Subaru of America, Inc. Permission is granted to Subaru of America, Inc. to print your name and suggestions in TechTIPS and other Subaru of America, Inc. publications. Mail items to: PO Box 9103; Camden, NJ 08101-9877. Your Name: Signature: Dealer’s Name: City: Date: Dealer Code: