|APPLICABILITY:||2014MY XV Crosstrek Hybrid (HEV)|
|SUBJECT:||Reprogramming File Availability for DTCs P0CDD and P0A3F|
This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to address DTCs P0CDD and P0A3F, both related to the hybrid system’s drive motor control module (DMCM). These DTCs may set when the voltage of the auxiliary battery drops below specified limits.
COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION
The new DMCM with revised logic was incorporated into production January 16, 2014, starting with VIN E*264165.
|PART NAME||NEW PART NUMBER|
|Unit- Motor Control||29071AA002|
- This part number information is provided for reference only in the event there is a need to replace a faulty DMCM. A DMCM should NOT be replaced unless it is failed and not usable.
PACK FILE AVAILABLITY
|TRANSMISSION||PAK FILE NAME||NEW DMCM PART NUMBER||OLD DMCM PART NUMBER||NEW CID NUMBER|
|2014 XV Hybrid||CVT||29071AA002.pak||29071AA002||29071AA001||01D1088100|
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
IMPORTANT: When checking for stored DTCs, an “All Systems Check” will not show “past” DTCs in memory. Always perform an “Each System Check” to identify both “present” and “past” DTCs PRIOR to performing any reprogramming or clear memory functions.
When DTCs P0CDD and P0A3F are stored in memory, almost always, DTCs P0CA1 and C1424 will also be found (past or present) when performing an Each System Check for DTCs. P0CA1 will be found in the ECM memory and C1424 in the VDC memory as both are MIL request DTCs (similar to P0700 in the TCM). Here are 2 possible scenarios and the related service procedure for how to address these DTCs:
Scenario 1– Vehicle presents with DTCs P0CA1 and C1424 in memory (present) AND DTCs P0CDD and P0A3F stored in memory (past). In this case, reprogram the DMCM with the latest logic to complete the repair.
Scenario 2– Vehicle presents with ONLY DTCs P0CA1 and C1424 current in memory. In this case, diagnose these DTCs as per the applicable Service Manual.
- In the event of a control module replacement, always confirm the new unit has the most recent software and CID number installed before releasing the vehicle.
- “DMCM” has been added to the Vehicle Spec. selection list.
- The CID number for the DMCM is 10 characters long instead of 8.
- REMEMBER: CID numbers are CASE SENSITIVE.
- SOA now highly recommends connecting the Midtronics GR8 Diagnostic Battery Charger to the vehicle and utilizing the Power Supply Mode feature anytime a vehicle control module is being reprogrammed. Once the GR8 is connected to the vehicle, as long as the battery is fully charged, it takes less than 3 minutes to boot-up the charger, select the Power Supply Mode, and have the battery voltage stabilized and ready for reprogramming.
VERY IMPORTANT: This information is applicable to the Midtronics GR8 Diagnostic Battery Charger ONLY. It does not apply to any other brand /type of “generic” battery charger whatsoever. ONLY the GR8 and its Power Supply Mode feature has been tested and approved by Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA).
- If the GR8 indicates the vehicle’s auxiliary battery must be charged, charge the battery using the GR8 before proceeding to reprogram the vehicle while using the Power Supply Mode. The labor time for battery charging is not a matter for warranty.
- Control module failures as a result of battery discharge during reprogramming are not a matter for warranty.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, this repair may be claimed using the following information:
|LABOR DESCRIPTION||LABOR OPERATION #||FAIL
|HEV Drive Motor Control Unit Reprogramming, including use of GR8 Power Supply Mode.||A804-018||FCK-48||0.4|
Subaru reprogramming files using a generic (non-OEM) SAEJ2534 pass-thru vehicle programming device are available by contacting Service Technical Information Company toll free at 1-866-428-2278. The cost for the CD-ROM with all reprogramming files is $75.00 plus S/H and applicable state tax. Files will be updated four (4) times per year, in CD-ROM format, with all available reprogramming service information at the same above offered cost. Authorized Subaru Dealers are provided the same reprogramming information.
Before purchasing, the reprogramming details can be found in the following Reprogramming J-2534 Files chart. Click the link to view the PDF chart.
Subaru J2534 Reprogramming software meets the latest available J2534-1 specification. Our Reprogramming J2534 Files chart does not specify the Calibration Identification Number (CID); however, this information is included in our offered CD-Rom.
Note: The ECM or TCM being reprogrammed may already contain some or all of the reprogramming files listed in the Reprogramming J2534 Files chart shown by release date. It is possible to damage the vehicles ECM/TCM during the reprogramming event. Once the reprogramming process has started, it is recommended not to interrupt the process until the event is completed. If you experience any problems, please contact your scan tool maker for further instructions.
No. Subaru has no reprogramming capability for model years 1996-1998. Starting with our 1999 model year, please see our Reprogramming Pre-J2534 Files chart for affected model reprogramming information.