|APPLICABILITY:||2016MY WRX and STI Models|
|SUBJECT:||Reprogramming File Availability for Keyless Buzzer|
On some vehicles, a customer may not be able to access the “Keyless Buzzer Volume” function on the Multi-Function Display (MFD). This bulletin announces availability of reprogramming files for the Body Integrated Unit (BIU) to facilitate setting the volume of the keyless buzzer via the MFD.
PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION:
The new BIU logic was incorporated into production during July, 2015 starting with VIN G*811055.
PACK FILE APPLICABILITY
|MODEL YEAR/ MODEL||PAK FILE NAME||NEW BIU PART NUMBER||OLD BIU PART NUMBER||DECRYPTION KEYWORD||W/ KEYLESS
ACCESS / START
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
This bulletin is the first for BIU reprogramming. When performing this update, you will notice some small differences in the Flashwrite screens. First, when entering your Vehicle spec. search criteria, BIU has been added to the CPU selection list.
- After making your selections and clicking on Search, the Result will list 4 available Pack files:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Currently, 2 of the 4 files listed for this Search Result are for Canada-spec. vehicles and 2 are for US-spec. In addition, for this update, Engine and Transmission types can be disregarded.
- The 2 files to be used for US-spec vehicles are 88281VA251-1.pak and 88281VA261-1.pak. Pay close attention to the applicability (with or without Keyless access) listed in the “Notes:” listed for each file in the details area of the Search Result screen before making your selection. If you attempt to install the wrong file for the vehicle, an error message will be displayed on the SSM.
- After reprogramming is done, complete the procedure by confirming proper MFD operation following the screen shot sequence below. Push Up or Down on the ENTER button to scroll then push the ENTER button in to make (enter) your selection.
- Push Up or Down on the ENTER button to adjust the volume then push the Enter button in to select and save the desired setting.
SOA now highly recommends connecting the Midtronics GR8 Diagnostic Battery Charger to the vehicle and utilizing the Power Supply Mode feature anytime a vehicle control module is being reprogrammed. Once the GR8 is connected to the vehicle, as long as the battery is fully charged, it takes less than 3 minutes to boot-up the charger, select the Power Supply Mode, and have the battery voltage stabilized and ready for reprogramming.
VERY IMPORTANT: This information is applicable to the Midtronics GR8 Diagnostic Battery Charger ONLY. It does not apply to any other brand / type of “generic” battery charger whatsoever. ONLY the GR8 and its Power Supply Mode feature has been tested and approved by Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA).
- If the GR8 indicates the vehicle’s battery must be charged, charge the battery using the GR8 before proceeding to reprogram the vehicle while using the Power Supply Mode.
- Control module failures as a result of battery discharge during reprogramming are not a matter for warranty. Should any DTCs reset after the reprogramming update is performed, diagnose per the procedure outlined in the applicable Service Manual.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period or covered by a Subaru Added Security Classic or Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|LABOR DESCRIPTION||LABOR OPERATION #||FAIL
NOTE: The pack file listings provided in this bulletin are the latest available at the time of publishing. Updates are often released thereafter without revision to the original bulletin. For this reason, it is critical to always have the latest version of Select Monitor software installed on your system. You can confirm if a later version is available by entering the CID listed in this bulletin into FlashWrite. If a newer CID is shown as available in FlashWrite, reprogram using that file.
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.
What J2534 reprogramming capabilities are available?
(4a) J2534 Reprogramming
Subaru reprogramming files using a generic (non-OEM) SAEJ2534 pass-thru vehicle programming device are available by contacting Service Technical Information Company toll free at 1-866-428-2278. The cost for the CD-ROM with all reprogramming files is $75.00 plus S/H and applicable state tax. Files will be updated four (4) times per year, in CD-ROM format, with all available reprogramming service information at the same above offered cost. Authorized Subaru Dealers are provided the same reprogramming information.
Before purchasing, the reprogramming details can be found in the following Reprogramming J-2534 Files chart. Click the link to view the PDF chart.
Subaru J2534 Reprogramming software meets the latest available J2534-1 specification. Our Reprogramming J2534 Files chart does not specify the Calibration Identification Number (CID); however, this information is included in our offered CD-Rom.
Note: The ECM or TCM being reprogrammed may already contain some or all of the reprogramming files listed in the Reprogramming J2534 Files chart shown by release date. It is possible to damage the vehicles ECM/TCMduring the reprogramming event. Once the reprogramming process has started, it is recommended not to interrupt the process until the event is completed. If you experience any problems, please contact your scan tool maker for further instructions.
No. Subaru has no reprogramming capability for model years 1996-1998. Starting with our 1999 model year, please see our Reprogramming Pre-J2534 Files chart for affected model reprogramming information.