|SUBJECT:||Countermeasures for Frozen Power Windows|
This bulletin provides information for 3 countermeasures to address concerns regarding power window operation during cold weather when the door glass may become frozen to the outer weatherstrip. The customer complaint(s) may be: the indexing feature (door glass drops slightly when opening door) was inoperative, window(s) were inoperative, or the window switches were blinking (indicates a need to reset the index function).
- A revised, hallow-type outer weatherstrip is used if the nap (fuzzy) portion has been pulled away from the rubber after freezing to the outside of the door glass.
- A change has been made to both of the power window switches which decreases the distance (stroke) of when the door glass lowers from 20mm to 10mm during the indexing function. The indexing function is controlled by an input from the outer door handle to the BIU which lowers the door glass slightly to clear the drip rail.
- A change has been made to “guide door lifter” to prevent a rattling noise which may occur as a result of the decreased index function door glass stroke.
NOTE: See the Appendix at the end of this bulletin for information on resetting the indexing function should it become inoperative.
COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION
The countermeasures described above were incorporated into production as follows:
|DESCRIPTION||CHANGE DATE||STARTING VIN|
|Outer Weatherstrip Change||After 11/31/2013||E*604179|
|Revised Power Window Switches||After 10/31/2013||E*602739|
|Guide Door Lifter Change||Unchanged||D*609385|
|PART DESCRIPTION||PART NUMBER|
|WSTR OUT DR F RH||61280CA004|
|WSTR OUT DR F LH||61280CA014|
|SWITCH ASSY P W LHD||83071CA013|
|SWITCH ASSY P W SDL||83071CA042|
|GUIDE DR LIFTER
(2 per door)
|SCREW TAP TRU M5||904530039|
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION
The outer door glass weatherstrip should only be replaced when the nap has become separated from the rubber as described in the introduction of this bulletin. Follow the replacement procedure outlined in the applicable Service Manual.
When replacing the power window switches, they must both be replaced at the same time otherwise, the door glass index function stroke will be different from door to door. Follow the procedure outlined in the applicable Service Manual for replacement of the power window switches.
IMPORTANT: The guide door lifters must be replaced at the same time the countermeasure power window switches are installed. See the comparison illustration below.
Guide Door Lifter Service Procedure
- With the door and the door glass fully closed, use masking tape to “mark” the position of the glass in relation to the outer weatherstrip top edge as shown in the illustration below.
- Carefully remove both door glass assemblies following the procedures outlined in the applicable Service Manual.
- Remove the old guide door lifters from the door glass assembly and replace with the new parts. The “flats” must be positioned at 12:00 and parallel to the bottom edge of the masking tape as shown in the illustration below. The retaining screws can be reused and get torqued to 9.36 +/- 2.2 ft. lbs. Should any of the screws be misplaced, the replacement part number is 904530039.
- Remove the masking tape then reinstall and adjust the door glass following the procedure outlined in the applicable Service Manual.
- NOTE: Please be sure to inform the customer that the window index stroke will change (be reduced) as a result of these repairs and is not any indication that a further repair is needed.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period, this repair may be claimed using the following information:
|LABOR DESCRIPTION||LABOR OPERATION #||FAIL
|BRZ Frozen Power Window Repair||A850-104||UQG-48||1.0|
APPENDIX (reprinted from the BRZ Owner’s Manual)