|2018-19MY Legacy and Outback|
|2019MY WRX and WRX STI|
|SUBJECT:||Harman Audio / Infotainment: Troubleshooting Clock-Related Concerns|
This bulletin provides troubleshooting steps to follow when diagnosing clock-related customer concerns. Please start by completing the Harman Investigation Guide Questionnaire as it gathers important details which will help with diagnosis and will be required should the condition not be resolved by this troubleshooting. While completing the questionnaire, follow the question flow based on the customer concern. Answer each related question noting the results to each in detail while performing the diagnostics. Review the entire bulletin before beginning in order to understand the flow for the listed concern. If the concern you have is not listed, check the Service Manual “Infotainment (Diagnostics) – Diagnostics with Phenomena” section as a starting point.
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION:
REMINDER: Customer satisfaction and retention starts with performing quality repairs.
1) Always confirm the condition as reported by the customer.
2) If the concern is with the clock not updating / incorrect date and time, answer the questions under Item 2) (a-d). If not, skip this item and proceed to Item 3 below.
a. What is the clock adjustment setting, Manual or Auto? (Clock setting information can be found under Settings > Vehicle > Clock Adjustment as shown below.)
b. If the “Auto” setting is selected and the HU is a High (Navigation) -grade, check the date and GMT time setting.
i. Open the Navigation System Sensor screen. Press and hold the Home hard key and press the Tune knob 6 times, then release the Home button. In the Dealer menu, select “Function check” > “Navi System Sensor” (See screenshot to the right.)
ii. Does the screen show the correct date and GMT time?
iii. Note the number of satellites acquired. If none, move vehicle to an area with open sky.
iv. If system does not show the correct time while in open sky, investigate the GPS antenna:
2. Confirm there is no damage to cable/antenna.
c. If the HU is Mid or Base -grade, a paired phone is required along with access to the user’s phonebook and SMS messages activated for the “Auto” selection to function and automatically update the correct date and time. Message access should be available from the phone’s Settings menu under Phone > Messages. If the button is gray, then message access from the phone was most likely not accepted. Follow the set-up steps below:
i. Is a phone paired to the head unit?
ii. If the Messages button is still grey, delete and re-pair the phone. The next section describes the access process for the most common types of devices: Apple iPhones and Android phones. NOTE: These steps could vary between device models.
1. Android Phone:
Once the phone is paired to the head unit, the phone will display a pop-up prompting the user to accept access to Phonebook / Contacts. Select “ALLOW”. You may also receive follow up messages for access to phone history (log) and messages. Make sure to allow access to all of them. (See screenshots to the right.)
After pairing, access must be enabled on the phone. To do this, go to Settings > Bluetooth > Select the paired head unit labeled “Subaru BT” and make sure both Sync Contacts and Show Notifications are enabled. (See screenshot to the right.)
d. If the “Manual” setting is selected for clock adjustment, the settings to the Multi-Function Display (MFD) in the combination meter are made using the i/Set and +/- buttons on the steering wheel. Models with a color Multi-Function Display (MFD) in the center of the dash use the i/Set button on the steering wheel and the up / down buttons located on the MFD.
i. If vehicle is equipped with a color MFD, press the i/Set button until the MFD displays the “Hold SET button” screen. Hold the i/Set steering wheel button to enter the settings menu. The date and time settings are accessible from this menu.
3) If the concern is for other clock issues, please complete a fresh Harman Investigation Guide Questionnaire documenting the customer’s concern and the results of each diagnostic step in this bulletin. If possible, capture a video of the condition then contact the SOA Techline to review for next steps. Techline will request you send the completed questionnaire, step by step bulletin results and any videos of the condition.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION:
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period or covered by an active Subaru Added Security Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|Labor Description||Labor Operation #||Labor
|HARMAN CLOCK TROUBLESHOOTING||A849-025||0.5||TAQ-43||Base, Mid & High|
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.