|2018-19MY Legacy and Outback|
|2019MY WRX and WRX STI|
|SUBJECT:||Harman Audio / Infotainment: Troubleshooting Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Connectivity Concerns|
This bulletin provides troubleshooting steps to use when diagnosing concerns of the Apple CarPlay and / or Android Auto feature not connecting or launching properly when a compatible device is connected to the head unit.
SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION:
1) Confirm the condition as reported by the customer. Information located in the Harman Investigation Guide-Questionnaire may be required to understand fully how to duplicate the condition. The customer’s phone will most likely also be required unless a similar phone is available for testing.
2) Verify the device being used is compatible with the head unit by checking the listings on Subaru.com under Bluetooth Compatibility using the following link: https://www.subaru.com/owners/index.html
4) Verify the software version of the head unit and if it is not the most current, update it using the most recent version available. See TSB 15-211-17R for the complete Service Procedure to update the head unit software if needed.
5) Confirm the device’s operating system; CarPlay (iOS) or Android Auto (OS) versions are up to date.
6) Confirm the CarPlay or Android Auto feature is enabled on the device without any Restrictions by following the steps below:
|For Apple CarPlay:
|For Android Auto:
Confirm the Android Auto feature on the device is set to accept new car connections.
7) If the N/G condition persists after performing the instructions supplied in steps 1-6 above, try using another known-good certified OEM / Manufacturer-compliant connecting cable in the customer’s vehicle to rule out a faulty connecting cable. If the N/G condition persists, the connecting cable is likely to be OK.
8) Try the device and (confirmed OK) connecting cable in a known good vehicle.
9) If CarPlay / Android Auto launches and operation is OK, swap the USB hub / cable from the known good vehicle into the customer vehicle and check for proper operation. If OK, replace the USB hub / cable.
IMPORTANT CAUTION: Always disconnect the Telematics Data Communication Module (DCM) BEFORE any swapping of head units. DCMs must NEVER be swapped or the customer’s services will not function and DCM replacement may be required to resolve.
11) If the above steps do not resolve the customer’s concern with CarPlay/ Android Auto function, complete a fresh Harman Investigation Guide- Questionnaire documenting the customer’s concern and the results of each diagnostic step in this bulletin. If possible, capture a video of the condition then contact the SOA Techline to review for next steps. Techline will request you send the completed questionnaire, step by step bulletin results and any videos of the condition.
WARRANTY / CLAIM INFORMATION:
For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period or covered by an active Subaru Added Security Classic or Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following claim information:
|Labor Description||Labor Operation #||Labor
|HARMAN APPLE CARPLAY & ANDROID AUTO TROUBLESHOOTING||A031-161||1.0||ZRM-43||Base|
|ZRN-43||Plus / Mid|
|ZRO-43||High (w/ Navi)|
- SOA strongly discourages the printing and/or local storage of service information as previously released information and electronic publications may be updated at any time.
- Always check for any open recalls or campaigns anytime a vehicle is in for servicing.
- Always refer to STIS for the latest service information before performing any repairs.